Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 07:13 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times

Advertisements

Well, with the 5 year membership I got a discount on that price. My DW likes the magazine. We get a discount on our home/auto insurance, too. Plus my kid likes the free donut with every cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee!

Couldn't give a rat's posterior about the politics of the organization. As long as my discounts net more than my investment, I am happy.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Well, with the 5 year membership I got a discount on that price. My DW likes the magazine. We get a discount on our home/auto insurance, too. Plus my kid likes the free donut with every cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee!

Couldn't give a rat's posterior about the politics of the organization. As long as my discounts net more than my investment, I am happy.
wow, a coffee.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:58 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
Fifty - The Huffington Post by Jbautog@aol.com (John Blumenthal) @ Why I'm Canceling My AARP Membership | John Blumenthal

I understand this is supposed to be a humorous piece – and it is. But, he never gets down to the main reason I have never joined AARP – it's become a supporter of the Democrat party and candidates. And it doesn't seem to seek to deal with those in the over 50 crowd who are still working -as the author points oub.

Are you a member? And why?
Well if you really hate AARP because you believe it is too liberal there is a group that calls itself "conservative and non-partisan" (how can you be both? It would like saying you are "liberal and non-partisan," but whatever )

I know nothing about this group and their programs and if they are good since I am one of those awful liberals so I am definitely not endorsing it.

AMAC Was Founded to be Your Alternative to AARP - AMAC, Inc.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:07 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That is not true. I am not a member and I just signed up for it. The premium is the same for members and non-members. They are not allowed to charge differently if you are not a member. I asked. It was, however, the best plan for me.

I let my membership go because I did not find any value in it.

From the UHC website.
"AARP membership is required to enroll in the plan. However, if a retiree is not currently a member, UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company will pay for the first-year membership (this offer is not available for New York residents)."
AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans | Group Retiree Solutions | UnitedHealthcare

Old 01-25-2014, 06:42 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Do people invest and center their financial decisions around the political leanings of their choices? Beginning to wonder.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:51 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Do people invest and center their financial decisions around the political leanings of their choices? Beginning to wonder.
There are some (smaller) investment firms that deal in "socially responsible investments." I wonder how their choices are doing. Several progressive colleges have pulled out of certain investments for social responsibility reasons. I echo your same question.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:28 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There are some (smaller) investment firms that deal in "socially responsible investments." I wonder how their choices are doing. Several progressive colleges have pulled out of certain investments for social responsibility reasons. I echo your same question.
At one point I was interested in considering socially responsible investing. Most of the funds were dogs and lagged way behind. I checked a few years ago and they were doing better. With the world being so connected it would be difficult to create a fund that had Growth and met a consensus for any. Would Apple be out because of wages in China etc etc. Thats why I find this thread curious. There is much to like or dislike about AARP. I would have thought just weighing the fundamentals as many have said they do would have done it for even more.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:57 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
With me no, not normally. Rich, poor, middle income, we are all Americans when I saw how Obama used hate and pitted one group of Americans against others it didn't sit well with me. What's to say my group isn't next in line. I don't blame the rich for my situation. I made my decisions, no one held a gun to my head, and I will live with the results of my decisions. I don't need all that hate and no matter what Obama says I know that no one can legislate prosperity.

I do know that AARP supporting this agenda has lost me as a customer. There are other better ways to get great deals. AARP isn't the only game in town.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:17 AM

413 posts, read 701,528 times
I've never joined because they seem to be a vehicle for selling insurance plans which I don't need.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I keep getting mail from them asking to join.
I return all of their papers in their postage paid envelope (when provided) marked "No thanks".

AAA gives me better discounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.