Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 04:17 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
For the record - that's DEMOCRATIC PARTY - to you. Your bias is showing.

I joined because we receive the lowest car insurance rates ever. Better than AAA - and my dad was a AAA Personnel Director for 33 years.

Yes that was a fluff piece.

When they start coming for your social security, your voting rights, your voice - I plan to stand with the AARP. Just ONE of the elder advocates around. AARP does know more elders are working.... all the more to side with them.

$12.50 a year is hardly an expensive subscription.

I just love it when people vote against their own interests. NOT.
Second that.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:23 PM

325 posts, read 577,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post

Are you a member? And why?
I was for a short while, until I got smart. AARP is an insurance group. Ever notice how you are bombarded with ads in your magazine, mailings, etc. AARP stands to make more than $1B thanks to zerocare.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Fifty - The Huffington Post by Jbautog@aol.com (John Blumenthal) @ Why I'm Canceling My AARP Membership | John Blumenthal

I understand this is supposed to be a humorous piece – and it is. But, he never gets down to the main reason I have never joined AARP – it's become a supporter of the Democrat party and candidates. And it doesn't seem to seek to deal with those in the over 50 crowd who are still working -as the author points oub.

AARP doesn't support Democratic policies and candidates because they are Democratic. They support policies and candidates who work FOR senior citizens and those happen to most often be Democrats. Republicans come down in favor of policies to support the rich. If you happen to be a rich senior, by all means drop your support of AARP. AARP tends to support policies that favor middle-income people first and foremost.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:11 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
The main reason I joined AARP is because at Dunkin' Donuts gives me a free donut with my AARP card when I have a large coffee.

Hey, I wear a uniform and a badge ... donuts mean a lot to me.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:20 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
No, I am not a member, never have been, and never will be.

The AARP has supported gun control as long as I can remember; it supported Obamacare. I don't support my enemies. I get the same discounts from AAA plus emergency road service. AAA doesn't involve itself in politics.
My sentiments exactly, except that I don't have AAA. AARP basically has nothing to offer that I can't get without their membership. In fact, I checked on their auto insurance through The Hartford, and discovered that it was more expensive than the insurance I already had! My insurance is from The Hartford!
For me, AARP membership has absolutely nothing to offer.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:31 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Well, with the 5 year membership I got a discount on that price. My DW likes the magazine. We get a discount on our home/auto insurance, too. Plus my kid likes the free donut with every cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee!

Couldn't give a rat's posterior about the politics of the organization. As long as my discounts net more than my investment, I am happy.
Whoa.....wait a sec. FREE DONUT? I didn't know that was a benefit of joining AARP! I sure missed that one! Well, we'll just see about this tomorrow after I shovel the snow!!

There's something about those glazed chocolate donuts...

Free donut? This changes everything. Make it one of those cream-filled, chocolate covered ones!

Old 01-26-2014, 06:10 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I recently did not renew my membership. They seem to totally disregard those of us still working AND almost daily I was getting junk mail from some company they "recommended". Read that as sold my name to.
Well, looks like you and I must have read the same issues.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:31 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
My sentiments exactly, except that I don't have AAA. AARP basically has nothing to offer that I can't get without their membership. In fact, I checked on their auto insurance through The Hartford, and discovered that it was more expensive than the insurance I already had! My insurance is from The Hartford!
For me, AARP membership has absolutely nothing to offer.
So was it the politics or the cost/benefit analysis you did that was the major factor in not having? If the insurance from Hartford had been $300 cheaper would you have kept or signed up for because the cost/benefit was considerable or would politics have swayed you to stay with the more expensive policy?

Old 01-26-2014, 06:48 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Even when I was a young woman, I never purchased health insurance from United HealthCare. And here's an example why: Doctors cut from Medicare Advantage networks struggle with what to tell patients - The Washington Post

Rather than cut out the freebies handed out by most Medicare Advantage plans or reduce its profits a tad, UHC would rather diminish its provider network. Of course, UHC still wants the taxpayer subsidy. Corporate welfare at its best.

Back on topic, First, the AARP has not been the "American Association of Retired Persons since 1999") Ideas & Trends - AARP and the New Old - The Retirement Lobby Goes Va-Va-Boom! - NYTimes.com
Second, a true liberal would cringe at the organization's wielding of power to the detriment of all others (especially children, who have no powerful organization advocating on their behalf).

In terms of receiving multiple mailings, emails, etc. Rather than kvetching, go to AARPs website and opt out of the solicitations. If necessary, call AARP (the number is on its website) and ask to be removed from ALL mailings. I did this and it worked. I KNOW that the only junk mail I receive is NOT from AARP's affiliates because my junk mail is addressed to a FAKE name I made up years ago and did not give to AARP. (I give the fake name when signing up for discounts at restaurants, free products, etc).

I dropped my AARP membership after one year. Although I admire its legal advocacy combating age discrimination, my liberal bent prevented me from adding my small membership fee to advance its policies that, IMO, hurt others.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:57 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Fifty - The Huffington Post by Jbautog@aol.com (John Blumenthal) @ Why I'm Canceling My AARP Membership | John Blumenthal

I understand this is supposed to be a humorous piece – and it is. But, he never gets down to the main reason I have never joined AARP – it's become a supporter of the Democrat party and candidates. And it doesn't seem to seek to deal with those in the over 50 crowd who are still working -as the author points oub.

Indeed, and that's exactly the biggest reason I've never joined.

Not to mention it makes no sense whatsoever to pay membership fees to get a discount on something. I also am not a Sam's Club member nor would I ever join a union and pay union dues hoping for a .50c raise.

AARP is all hogwash and marketing. It preys on the easily influenced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement