Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 09:15 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I hit my "minimum amount" savings number about a year and a half ago.

The second week of this year, I as 15 grand from my "comfort amount" total and then we had the bad week in the market last week .

I was so psyched about hitting that number. Of course that would just have been the "first time" my balance touched that number and I expect to cross over and below that number several times on my way to my "retiring well amount" that I hope to hit by the end of 2014.

My question to everyone here is this. How much more (percentage) do you wish you had saved before you actually pulled the trigger and retired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 09:43 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
20-20 hindsight is always better than foresight! IMO, even the folks who are comfortable with their retirement nest egg, still look back and think "I wish I had saved, rather than spent, so much of my available resources.'

A funny thing about the 'present' is that it always seems so much more compelling than the past or the future. I think more people retire when immediate circumstances reduce the answer to their "How much is enough?" question to a 'manageable' number.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:35 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Let's hope you do not drop dead in the near future. You will have missed a year and a half of retirement.

I wish I had retired earlier. Not working saved me a huge amount of money not spent on incomes taxes, not spent on social security/medicare taxes, not spent on work clothing, not spent on commuting, etc. After retiring we cut back on expenses plus we saved all of the above. Financially I was better off retired than when I worked.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:59 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Hello All,

The second week of this year, I as 15 grand from my "comfort amount" total and then we had the bad week in the market last week .
If your retirement nest egg is that dependent on the stock market, you'll never have enough.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:21 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
If your retirement nest egg is that dependent on the stock market, you'll never have enough.
Bada Bing.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:09 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,910 times
Quote:
Hello All,

I was so psyched about hitting that number. Of course that would just have been the "first time" my balance touched that number and I expect to cross over and below that number several times on my way to my "retiring well amount" that I hope to hit by the end of 2014.

My question to everyone here is this. How much more (percentage) do you wish you had saved before you actually pulled the trigger and retired?
I gave up waiting for the stock market to stabilize.
Don t want to miss one of my 'good' days.
Only so many of them left.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:27 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,447,826 times
Ignore daily ups and downs, watch long-term trends. The Stock Market has done well.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:01 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,829,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Ignore daily ups and downs, watch long-term trends. The Stock Market has done well.
Bingo! Volatility has always been a part of the stock market, and computerized trading by the major players has only increased that volatility. Watching and worrying on a daily basis is a good way to ruin a good day.

We're all different, but I cannot imagine planning for retirement without the stock market. In today's environment, relying on pensions and social security seems to me to be a much bigger risk. The stock market allowed me to "retire" at 51 and begin a part-time business doing something I really loved. I sold that business three months ago after I turned 66, but the vast amount of my net worth remains in a prudent mix of market investments.

To answer your question, it will always have been nice to have had a bundle more, but I've never regretted one day of pulling the trigger when I did. Keep investing wisely, and don't get too high on the market's good days or too low on the market's bad days. Life is good.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:52 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,136,290 times
Quote:
Hello All,

Considering you are that close you will make it. Just keep at it. Contrary to what some people believe the stock market is the place to keep your money as bonds that are as safe pay so little you couldn't live on it.

Just retiring with "minimum amount" leaves so little cushion you cannot relax in retirement and something usually comes up to really put the scare into it.

Actually took a few years of frugal retirement before that "comfort amount" was reached but glad it happened.
As far as the savings of less wardrobe, no commute expenses, less taxes~~ those items escaped me. My clothing costs, commute expenses and taxes have all gone up since I retired.

And yes, I did retire about 3 months earlier than I expected due to a workplace accident but it all worked out. Finish out your not quite a year~ you will probably be glad you did...the job wasn't s hard knowing the end ws in sight. PS ~ think we are in for a dip but expect a good rally before end of year.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:24 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
Default It depends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Let's hope you do not drop dead in the near future. You will have missed a year and a half of retirement.

I wish I had retired earlier. Not working saved me a huge amount of money not spent on incomes taxes, not spent on social security/medicare taxes, not spent on work clothing, not spent on commuting, etc. After retiring we cut back on expenses plus we saved all of the above. Financially I was better off retired than when I worked.
I don't agree with the logic of saying that we "save" money on taxes when we have a lower income. Of course I understand (and agree) that the total taxes we pay are much lower if our income is much lower, and that the deduction for social security taxes is not taken from retirement income. But making more money is always worth it (from a purely financial point of view) despite higher income tax rates because the rates never reach 100% nor do they come anywhere close to that.

I'm glad you realized considerable savings in retirement, but not everyone does:

1. Work clothing: Depends if you needed specialized work clothing. I wear the same clothing now that I wore while working, so I have no savings in that department. Very little dry cleaning then, still very little now.

2. Commuting: Depends if you had a long, short, or medium commute to work. I drive more now than I drove while working because I have more time to go places. (Yes, I was fortunate to have had a short commute during the final 21 years of my full-time career.)

3. Entertainment and travel: I spend more on entertainment and travel now (as a retiree) because I have more free time to indulge in those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement