Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:33 PM

887 posts, read 1,216,042 times

Advertisements

We could live on our retirement income right now because we've done it for over a year now banking the money earned over our estimated combined social security benefit and we live well and without want.

What a great idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 07:46 PM

524 posts, read 844,006 times
One of us has taken ss early and it was a mistake in my book. Dreading our finances over the next few years

Old 11-11-2015, 06:24 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,800,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantress View Post
One of us has taken ss early and it was a mistake in my book. Dreading our finances over the next few years
I am a little confused by this. The break even will be years away. If you feel it was a mistake you can suspend or you could just bank the payments. But if you can't meet expenses without it, then I don't see how it was a mistake unless you have other options.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:30 AM

524 posts, read 844,006 times
It's a long,sad story. Don't care to share at this time

Old 11-20-2016, 03:13 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Been reading some articles about the sorry shape of future retirees, which site various problems

The elimination of pensions
Poor performing 401K's
Inadequate income to fund 401K's and Ira's enough to make a real difference.
Shrinking number of young people to balance the older population
Health Care costs escalating out of control
Proposals of cutting social security and medicare as opposed to strengthening it.
Salaries and benefits being squeezed by corporations.

Here's just one article:
The Greatest Retirement Crisis In American History - Forbes

When I lay out a bare bones budget for someone having to live on a small income. We'll say $25-$30,000 a year for a couple, even with a small paid off house, living in a low cost living area with one car. It is really hard to see them managing. I know some on here in the past have claimed to live on very small incomes, but I'm discounting having your own pigs and chickens and burning wood chips for fuel and riding a bike for transportation. I am cutting out cable, and expensive phones, and cutting back food budgets, minimal clothes and no entertainment budget, etc., and I still see it being very difficult. Just needing dental work or replacing your heating/AC unit, can do you in. What are your thoughts?

My tiny house idea is sounding better and better for millions of Americans.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:17 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
Uh, some people work and live on a less than $25-$30K. I know that my 57 year-old sister - she's single - has never made beyond $25K and the only way she made that much was by working lots of overtime. Is it tough? Yeah, but I know that she is grateful for everything she has.

I will have an annual gross of about $33K when I retire in a couple of months. And that includes SS. And I plan on relocating to a high-tax state. The whole thing is very scary, but I am not willing to spend more time in the workplace. I have never traveled except by armchair; never taken any but working vacations or camping vacations; never taken on debt except the mortgage and that is paid. I have wasted lots of money in my lifetime, but not on such frivolous excesses like Disney or new cars or jewelry, etc. If you can afford all that crap, then fine; but it seems to me that everyone thinks they are entitled to those things and they are willing to incur debt to acquire them. Nutz.

Can I live on less than $33K? Yes. If I were part of a couple? I could, but not as comfortably.

Maybe being an introvert has some economic advantage after all.

Easy to do if you live in a paid-off house, hard to do if you are a lifelong rent serf.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:22 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
I should research this on google first, but do not want to take the time right now, but I remember hearing that the average salary for a person in the U.S. is shockingly low - something like $25,000 per year for an individual and $28,000 or $32,000 per year for a family.

I know I should research it on google before making the statement. I remember being shocked that it is so low.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:36 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I should research this on google first, but do not want to take the time right now, but I remember hearing that the average salary for a person in the U.S. is shockingly low - something like $25,000 per year for an individual and $28,000 or $32,000 per year for a family.

I know I should research it on google before making the statement. I remember being shocked that it is so low.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/AWI.html

About $48,000. I would think $25,000 would be poverty level.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:46 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
People in service occupations have an average salary of just $26,416 per year in the U.S. Maybe that is what I heard.

Average salaries vary according to occupation, geographic locale, and level of education.

This article breaks it down a bit https://www.thebalance.com/average-s...orkers-2060808

Old 11-22-2016, 08:46 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,351,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I would think $25,000 would be poverty level.
The poverty level for a single person has just been adjusted to about $12,000. Here's the figures for larger households:

https://aspe.hhs.gov/computations-20...rty-guidelines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement