Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 08:37 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times

Advertisements

Interesting- it depends a lot on the person.

I buy permanent-press shirts so I don't need to use an iron.

A food processor is really useful for me for a few recipes (pesto comes to mind)

The applicances NOT to have are uni-taskers. An electric can opener is a classic example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 08:51 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
My microwave is on its last legs and I don't think I will buy another. It takes up too much counter space and doesn't do anything I can't do just as well on the stove.

I no longer have a coffee pot or a toaster.

My rental has carpet. I am very fond of my vacuum and my small, lightweight carpet cleaner. I have a long, construction type extension cord on the vacuum so I can use it all over the apartment without having to unplug.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:58 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
Due to cat and dog hair I have murdered more vacuum cleaners than I care to think about. When I went to hardwoods I really did enjoy dry mopping - the swiffer is my friend! Unfortunately, my old pets can't get good traction on hardwoods and tiles, so my new home is back to low pile carpet and I had to get a new vacuum. We'll see how long it lasts!

I also REALLY dislike power mowers, so my new yard is going to be full of so many garden beds that my hand push reel mower will do the trick.

But, I will never own a DISHWASHER ever again. Unless you have a big family or often have large groups over, it is quicker to handwash - and the dishes get cleaner, too. Plus, I just kind of enjoy washing dishes in hot sudsy water . . .

Old 03-16-2014, 09:22 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,421,534 times
Yes, 601. I enjoy washing dishes too. There's something meditative about it.

Plus, it helps the manicure. "you're soaking in it " lol.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:35 AM

332 posts, read 504,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Due to cat and dog hair I have murdered more vacuum cleaners than I care to think about. When I went to hardwoods I really did enjoy dry mopping - the swiffer is my friend! Unfortunately, my old pets can't get good traction on hardwoods and tiles, so my new home is back to low pile carpet and I had to get a new vacuum. We'll see how long it lasts!

I also REALLY dislike power mowers, so my new yard is going to be full of so many garden beds that my hand push reel mower will do the trick.

But, I will never own a DISHWASHER ever again. Unless you have a big family or often have large groups over, it is quicker to handwash - and the dishes get cleaner, too. Plus, I just kind of enjoy washing dishes in hot sudsy water . . .
I thought the same as you about relying on a push reel mower and someone gave me a fine one. Uh, got rid of it. Unless your lawn is perfectly level with nary a dip in it those mower blades will ride above much of the surface. I gave up. The lawn is one of those immigrants, along with Japanese beetles and the newly-arrived virburnum leaf beetle, that I wish had never arrived on this continent. Such a waste of landscape.

Never understood the dishwasher. First people wash the dishes then put them in the dishwasher to be sterilized - I will never understand the habits of the middle class. My present house came with a dishwasher. I've never used it.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:37 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,411,086 times
i realize most small appliances that seem cool get used once to a few times and then is tossed in a cabinet somewhere

i do use the food processor though... its a midget micro tiny cuisinart processor chopper though not one of those huge ones that people never use

i got a big ole waringpro deep fryer that hasnt been used in probably 2 yrs,

toasters are too messy

never use the blender

got one of those expensive breville k-cup coffeemaker things when they first came out... wouldnt get that again

not an appliance really but we have an electric "air duster" (you know like a can of air) that sounds good but in use it doesnt blow the dust like an actual can of air does

Old 03-16-2014, 09:43 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
This is a funny thread. I was just about to do a search on vacuum cleaners because I am in vacuum cleaner hell. Machines and I do not get along. At all. Vacuum cleaners and lawnmowers and weed whackers are at the top of my list for most despised, but even the can opener defies me - and that's a manual! The only machine that I have ever befriended is the sewing machine, but alas, they are mostly filled with computer chips now. But gee, I have always wanted a garbage disposal.

Until they throw me into the nursing home I can't see being without most of the appliances that have been mentioned. Plus the snowblower of course. Never had a bread machine or Kitchen Aid. And I need the iron for quilting and felting. I guess I'd have to say that never needing a vacuum cleaner again would be great. I am averaging one a year and each one is more shabbily constructed than the last. I am hoping that my next house has no wall-to-wall in it. I could rant about vacuums until I pop a blood vessel.
I have no carpet at all, but I love my vacuum cleaner. Its so much better at picking up debris than just a broom or dust mop. I have lots of dogs, so it is necessary. I use it every single day.

Right now I have a Shark and it is doing the job, but with how much I use it, I don't mind replacing them every couple of years.

No bread machine here either, but love my Kitchen Aid.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:44 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
i realize most small appliances that seem cool get used once to a few times and then is tossed in a cabinet somewhere

i do use the food processor though... its a midget micro tiny cuisinart processor chopper though not one of those huge ones that people never use

i got a big ole waringpro deep fryer that hasnt been used in probably 2 yrs,

toasters are too messy

never use the blender

got one of those expensive breville k-cup coffeemaker things when they first came out... wouldnt get that again

not an appliance really but we have an electric "air duster" (you know like a can of air) that sounds good but in use it doesnt blow the dust like an actual can of air does
yeah, thinking of getting rid of my Cuisinart griddler and my Belgian waffle maker. Not used in at least a year.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:57 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Crockpot--someone gifted me with one, tried it a few times, prefer stovetop or oven cooking.

Toaster oven...took up too much counter space, had size limitations on what you could cook in it.

Microwave...don't own one, never have, don't miss it.

Mini-vacuum--too little suction power, a waste of time

Juicer. Went through a period of juicing. Have a big old Champion juicer. Now I just eat the fruits and veggies unjuiced. The Champion was a bear to clean.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:09 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
I think I could learn to live without a dishwasher. For two people you have to either run it near empty(a waste of electricity) or have enough dishes on hand to use while waiting to use it(waste of space). If I would get in the habit of washing after each use, I would probably not leave dirty dishes in the sink anymore, waiting to open the dishwasher!

As to why no carpet in FL, there are too many critters that like to take up residence in carpeting, like fleas, ticks etc. Since it is warm most of the time, they are not seasonal and it actually feels cooler to have tile floors. Also, sand can be tough to vacuum out of carpet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement