Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 08:48 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
50-cup coffee maker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You would get rid of your giant coffeemaker? Blasphemy! Send it my way. I'll be sure it gets the appreciation it so richly deserves
Scooby Snacks beat me.
I have a 12-cup that Gevalia sent me and it's too small.
My camp percolator is a 28-cup

Appliances I will never own again - I haven't owned an iron or a lawnmower in over 20 years. Trash compactor - had it taken out and got a new storage cupboard. Toaster oven - they get too hot. Bread machine - the bread tasted too good and I went low carb years ago.

Love my microwave, Foreman grill and crockpot though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 09:44 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,497 times
A trash compactor. Had one when I was younger, and it broke within a couple months. I'd also never own a weak blender again (I'll be purchasing the Blendtec). I would LOVE to never need a vacuum again, but alas, I still have carpets.

EDIT: After reading a few other responses, I'd like to add: popcorn popper (can do it on the stove), and rice cooker (had three that broke on me).

Old 03-17-2014, 12:17 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
An iron. Haven't used it in years but I did use one of those big clothes steamers every morning while I was working. Now that I'm retired I think I've used it once in 6 months.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:31 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Brita water filter... I itched and itched when I drank filtered water then I googled and found out that some people have allergies to the charcoal. Gone!

Coffee maker... I don't drink coffee. It's just for company. I'll meet them at Starbucks.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:21 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I LOVE appliances, lol. I expect I will have to give up my garbage compactor (when downsizing - won't have the space) and will very much miss it.

I do have a suggestion re: vacuum cleaners. I can't imagine not having one as I vacuum curtains, ceilings, corners even in rooms with hardwood (or tile) floors. I have 2 vacs in my primary home - a small one and a built in vac system. And it is also an air filter and I love that aspect of the system.

With pets, a vac is essential. And the air filter helps with dander and dust in the air.

I have a very nice electrolux (old model) that I have serviced every few years and keep it at the mountain house. But here is something I plan - and it may be a solution for others.

I found that in Sweden, in particular, folks often have a central vac system in condos and even apartments, and mount the unit in a closet. In small areas, a 30 ft. hose will reach everything directly from the unit itself (so no piping needed). I have measured and this will work at that small house so that is my eventual plan. No more vac to lug around! Just the hose.

Thought I would pass that on in case this would be a good solution for some folks.

As for appliances I will never buy again . . . can't think of anything. I love my hot tub (despite the maintenance and repairs), my bread machine, yogurt machine, food processor, electric skillet, etc. Hate my toaster but hubby likes toast (never met a toaster I liked - they just take up space). Wish I had room for a toaster oven in this tiny house . . .

Old 03-17-2014, 08:07 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
I have all tile floors and still make a mess occasionally plus they do need to be cleaned. It's pretty tough to clean up, say, spilled sugar without a vacuum. Or dirt if you're potting plants. Or broken glass. Or dog/cat hair.

I highly recommend the Hoover Floormate - wet and dry vacuum.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:25 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,041,647 times
Toaster oven. I never use the one I have. Never.

When I retire, all landscaping equipment; going back to hiring a service.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:39 AM

508 posts, read 663,603 times
Ice cream maker. I got an expensive $300 CuisineArt ice cream maker that quit 20 minutes before the end of its very first cycle. $300 buys a LOT of ice cream. Never again.

Food processor - maybe. The one thing I use it for is making buckeye dough, it is just too hard for me to do that by hand. If I didn't already have one I probably wouldn't buy one again.

But you will have to pry my rice cooker from my cold, dead hands! I use it nearly every day.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:41 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times
A microwave, have not had one since 2005 due to possible effects on health, plus I don't care for microwaved food! I have a small oven that has a toaster on top and I use that for heating up stuff. Also any yard work equipment. Clothes dryer, I line dry. Oh and a breadmaker...what a mess and bother. Oh and a deep fryer....don't deep fry anymore and another messy appliance! I have a blender but it's seldom used.
How do those who don't have a vacuum cleaner do it? I have carpet but even if I didn't I'd need a vacuum to vacuum furniture, mattresses etc.

Last edited by Littlelu; 03-17-2014 at 08:51 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 08:54 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You would get rid of your giant coffeemaker? Blasphemy! Send it my way. I'll be sure it gets the appreciation it so richly deserves

I'm with you on the dishwasher. I use that thing as a dish drainer mostly. Wash the dishes by hand, put them in the dishwasher to dry. Every dishwasher I ever used doesn't really wash dishes; it's just busywork.

And ditto with whoever mentioned the rice cooker. My husband bought one of those useless things. Since I'm a half Indian girl, I can cook amazing tasting rice telepathically. So I was a bit offended when he decided to blow $10 on a plastic microwave bowl that was supposedly superior to my rice thinking/cooking skills. He used the thing twice, and now it's yet another useless item taking up space in my already crowded kitchen
I agree. A rice cooker is just another useless appliance cluttering up the countertop or cupboards. I can make my own in my heavy stainless steel pan and it comes out perfect. I don't cook rice every day, maybe twice a month, why waste money on that piece of plastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement