Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these services are worth spending part of your retirement income on?
Monitored home security system 20 20.83%
Monitored personal assistance (such as Life Alert, etc) 10 10.42%
"Pay" tv (cable, satellite or DSL rather than via roof antenna) 49 51.04%
Premium movie channel(s), Netflix, or similar subscription 24 25.00%
Home cleaning service 32 33.33%
Broadband internet connection 81 84.38%
Smartphone/data plan 36 37.50%
Termite and/or other pest control system or service contract 27 28.13%
AAA or similar roadside assistance program 60 62.50%
Lawn mowing service 40 41.67%
Other lawn/yard services (fertilizer plan, weed control plan, insect control plan) 24 25.00%
Other regular/recurring paid service not listed 10 10.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 07:28 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times

Advertisements

Our security system is a dog whose bark would scare someone away. When we are gone for a month at a time and he goes with us, the police station is just around the corner and they are very good at keeping an eye on things, as are the neighbors. This is a beach community so the cottages are close together and everyone can keep an eye on everyone else (mostly good, other times not so good.) The neighbors here are wonderful.

Teeny lawn is done with a weed whacker! Basic cable tv--we have it so that we can get broadband internet, internet alone would be more expensive. Might get netflix next winter when we are cooped up inside. We clean this little house ourselves, it's exercise and there are easy to clean tile floors, just not that much to do. Smartphone--don't need it as we are usually at home or I take my laptop if I spend time in a motel or in someone's home. Termites-We don't have termites and anyway--we rent--so the landlord would pay for not getting his house eaten up. Roadside service--YES. I have it on my car insurance--they will come and start the car, tow it, whatever. I've used it a couple of times this past year. Yard service--weeds, insects--have never, will never, and do not believe in this. So, no. No poisons sprayed in our yard. Fertilizer is compost made by us--free. Life Alert system--if I live to be very old I would like to have this if I am living alone. I can't think of anything else. We were both brought up to be as independent as possible but I know if our health declines we would need some kind of help with house cleaning, transportation, and personal care, even bill paying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 12:46 AM

768 posts, read 719,163 times
Good Question. Makes one think of what's truly important. I was more than a little surprised that a Life Alert type system was so low on the must haves list.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:50 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
I was more than a little surprised that a Life Alert type system was so low on the must haves list.
My late mom, in her 80s, had one. My MiL, in her 90s, has one. Waste of money, in our experience. Yours may vary.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:47 AM

18,732 posts, read 33,406,561 times
I'm not retired yet but I do hire people once a month for heavy floor cleaning (I adopt multiple senior dogs). The man who built my house lives down the street and does maintenance and lawn. I hate the lawn but it prevents hilly erosion, plus the dogs can play there. (I do have a quarter-acre of trees, and so many people have said I should cut them down and have more lawn, why?! I'd have xeriscaping if I lived in a proper area for it.
WHen I'm much older, I can see a Life Alert thing, although one could argue that anyone living alone should consider it.
As for security, try seven dogs, house surrounded by fence and watchful neighbors all around. I live in a wonderful part of a very good town. Once I hadn't shut the back door properly and it blew open, and my neighbor stayed outside waiting for me to come home to alert me that the door was open, in case someone bad had snuck in (instead of dogs coming out). I feel very fortunate to live where I do.
I think some of the men in the neighborhood feel bad for me because I don't have a husband to do stuff and take care of me!

Old 03-28-2014, 06:27 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Among service listed we only have two of them:
internet connection
roadside assistance program

The internet connection is how we get online. Which we both like having.
The roadside assistance is included into our car insurance, there is no extra bill.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:53 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,512,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Considering that most seniors are on a fixed income which is usually less than what we had before, it’s usually necessary to prioritize what things we spend that income on.

Which of these common services do you consider worth their cost, i.e. definitely worth spending that portion of your retirement income on? (select as many as apply)

For me, a monitored security system that covers burglary, fire and carbon monoxide has been a “must” for the past 30 years no matter where I’ve lived, and will continue to be. Not only does it give me a sense of security but the 10% discount on my homeowners insurance usually offsets almost a half year’s worth of the monitoring fee. So to me that’s something absolutely worth spending part of my retirement income on.

My other "essential" services are cable TV (but without any premium channel packages), a broadband internet service, and a termite control system/contract on my house. At the moment I have to pay for lawn cutting because I’m no longer able to do it myself, but in my next/last house I want to go “lawn-less” and so that service won’t be needed anymore. On the other hand, I will probably end up joining AAA once I relocate, and depending on my health status in future decades I can also envision adding some sort of monitoring whereby if I need help I can just push a button. So it may end up being a “wash” between deleting the lawn cutting and adding one or both of the others, LOL.
My neighbors are our monitored security system.
One also does our landscaping because he didn't like my crop circles.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:13 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I would never pay for tv movie channels.
Yeah, but you pay (or used to pay) for Netflix. Wouldn't that be analogous?

Old 03-28-2014, 07:59 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
We have them all except security system, smart phone (have dumb cell phones), and monitored assistance. If forced to we could certainly cut some services but fortunately we can afford not to...yet.......LOL

Old 03-28-2014, 08:20 AM

508 posts, read 663,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
Good Question. Makes one think of what's truly important. I was more than a little surprised that a Life Alert type system was so low on the must haves list.
I doubt any of us are old enough to need that yet. Anybody on here in danger of falling and not having anybody come along and find them?

It happened to my dad, but he was in his late 80's.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:21 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,666,056 times
The one I would like most is home cleaning/handyperson service. Three times a year would be adequate. Washing windows, cleaning the oven, changing light bulbs in overhead fixtures, anything that involves climbing, are all beyond me. I make a list of things that need doing and , when it gets long enough, I start trying to find someone. Its not easy. If I was younger, I could make a living doing these chores for others. I would pay well for the right person.

I would also like some one to pick up my truck and have it washed and serviced. You can get one or the other but I haven't found anyone to do both.

Nothing else interests me much. My rent covers most of the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement