Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 06:19 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times

Advertisements

When I was younger I *never* had the slightest tendency to nod off while reading this forum. But I swear the older I get the more likely I am to find myself sliding into that "dozing" state and it doesn't even matter what the thread is about. :-/

could not resist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 07:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I do not nod off but I have always found it a good way to settle down before sleeping by reading for perhaps 30 minutes.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:26 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
When I was younger I *never* had the slightest tendency to nod off while reading this forum. But I swear the older I get the more likely I am to find myself sliding into that "dozing" state and it doesn't even matter what the thread is about. :-/

could not resist
Clever, but there is a very serious zinger in there and it DOES matter what the thread is about. An excellent commentary hiding behind a spoof.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:57 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
During baseball season I will stay up late east coast time to watch the dodgers. When fighting sleep I will often go to the computer and go online and hit the net trying to fight off sleep. Failure has left me asleep in CD , sometimes in the middle of typing .

Old 04-15-2014, 06:15 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post

could not resist
The level of the seriousness of this issue can be ascertained by the number of small square dents that are on your forehead.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:12 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Gads, I read the title of this and thought (in a senior moment) "didn't we just talk about this and where are all the comments". Then I realized that now you are talking about reading and the other post was about TV. Life is too confusing ! No, I never fall asleep reading as it is too engaging. When I read fiction, the story goes thru my mind like a movie and depending on the novel, it is so entertaining, I stay up all night reading, closing one eye, then the other alternately, using eye drops and the such.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:20 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Nodding off while reading retirement forum....
I find other certain forums much more 'noddable' than the Retirement Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
No, I never fall asleep reading as it is too engaging. When I read fiction, the story goes thru my mind like a movie and depending on the novel, it is so entertaining, I stay up all night reading, closing one eye, then the other alternately, using eye drops and the such.
And on the other hand, I keep a very boring unengaging book by my bedside for the nights that I can't sleep. Very soporific.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:34 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
And on the other hand, I keep a very boring unengaging book by my bedside for the nights that I can't sleep.
That's my personal insomnia remedy.
Just last week finished The Goldfinch. At 700+ pages, it served me for many weeks. The Russian Mafia portions were especially effective.
Am now working through Lauren Bacall's autobiography. It's much shorter but only 6-7 pages does the trick. Who knew that the heyday of Hollywood glamour could be recounted in such a tediously unimaginative manner?

It's middle of the day and I'm getting drowsy now just thinking about those two books..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement