Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 05:58 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times

Advertisements

I thought I had found the perfect retirement area which stipulated 55+ which is common but I learned that the limit for the property was 2 adults 55+. Now, I have seen it where one must be at least 55+. Our issue is that we have a son with Down syndrome who is 27 and we are both 59. We have tried programs in KS for the developmentally disabled, 3 of them, and they are grossly inadequate to extremes I won't go into. So, I figured this might be the place to get a feel for what our options might be in the future. We had hoped to full-time RV but the 3rd adult becomes an issue there also and most RVing retirement communities again only allow 2 adults. We have moved around and hope to put our house on the market in the next couple of months. Our hope is that we will find a state that has programs that would meet his limited but necessary needs but if we fail, we will have to find a way to keep him with us for as long as possible. So, do you think that it is probably a given that we will be blocked from 55+ communities since we have the 3rd adult? Any input appreciated. Thank you. Cathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 06:22 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I thought I had found the perfect retirement area which stipulated 55+ which is common but I learned that the limit for the property was 2 adults 55+. Now, I have seen it where one must be at least 55+. Our issue is that we have a son with Down syndrome who is 27 and we are both 59. We have tried programs in KS for the developmentally disabled, 3 of them, and they are grossly inadequate to extremes I won't go into. So, I figured this might be the place to get a feel for what our options might be in the future. We had hoped to full-time RV but the 3rd adult becomes an issue there also and most RVing retirement communities again only allow 2 adults. We have moved around and hope to put our house on the market in the next couple of months. Our hope is that we will find a state that has programs that would meet his limited but necessary needs but if we fail, we will have to find a way to keep him with us for as long as possible. So, do you think that it is probably a given that we will be blocked from 55+ communities since we have the 3rd adult? Any input appreciated. Thank you. Cathy

Cathy the short answer is no. You will not be blocked off. That rule is for buying into the property. You might be restricted on length of stay for under 18 children but any adults are normally allowed. You can also leave the property to children under 55 upon death or move to nursing facility in most cases but you might need to check that part out (nursing home part that is).

Old 05-01-2014, 07:12 AM

210 posts, read 382,404 times
I believe there may be exceptions made for developmentally disabled children, even if they are under 55. We are familiar with similar situations in FL, but those don't have any limit on the numbers in the households. Are the restrictions due to the size of the home? I would look into it and ask the question.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:41 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
I was going to offer the information as to our community and others that I know of but the op appears to be only referring to RV parks so any of that may be irrelevant.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I was going to offer the information as to our community and others that I know of but the op appears to be only referring to RV parks so any of that may be irrelevant.

You should since I think she went to an RV and found that they had restricted to 2 adults. That is why she was looking at other options.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
You should since I think she went to an RV and found that they had restricted to 2 adults. That is why she was looking at other options.
Well, since you insist
In case she isn't just asking for other RV park options, I will say that here and many other communities that I know of, children over 18 are allowed to live with their parents as long as one of them is over 55.
One can leave a home to their under 55 kids. They can own one but can't live in it unless there is a special allowance (and an opening) under the 80/20 % residency rule.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Well, since you insist
In case she isn't just asking for other RV park options, I will say that here and many other communities that I know of, children over 18 are allowed to live with their parents as long as one of them is over 55.
One can leave a home to their under 55 kids. They can own one but can't live in it unless there is a special allowance (and an opening) under the 80/20 % residency rule.

Now I knew most of that but I need you to if you would please explain the 80/20 rule.

I have looked at a couple of 55's and I like what it has to offer. I even have no problem buying into one. DW is hessitant due to restrictions on sale in case we need a quick infusion of cash or we become unable to care for ourselves. I see her point so we are looking at all options and since DW and I are not retired yet and plan to move in retirement we have time to shop around.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:54 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,839,196 times
In the Cobb County area of metro Atlanta, we looked at 55+ communities where the requirement was at least 1 person living in the home was 55. We have since bought in an active adult community right over the country line in Paulding Co, GA. As I understand, the county does not allow such restrictions so the neighborhood is marketed and built with us oldies in mind. Also, the pool and club house are restricted to adults of 25 and over so a young family would not want to live in the area along with just the size yard and smaller homes, etc. We will see how it works out.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Now I knew most of that but I need you to if you would please explain the 80/20 rule.
In an age restricted community, HUD (Fair Housing Act) demands that in order to maintain it's designation allowing that specific age restriction, 80% of the resident owners must be 55 or older.
The 20% is reserved for such situations as inheritance to under 55 children or when a resident may be under 18 ...cases such as grandparents that have taken custody of grandchildren.- or when children are less than 18.

If this is not followed the community can lose it's charter(?...not sure of the legal term) and the community would have to be opened up to all.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:38 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Thank you all. We are going to sell the home we have and leave KS as taxes will eat one alive here and services for our son are..... We were considering full-time rving and buying into an RV park-type community but 55+ tends to be the majority of situations for getting a lot where the RV could be parked. Full-timing with our son, not sure about that at this point. It seems that many people are choosing to move to the 55+ communities earlier than they had previously. I have looked at the ads for 55+ but they are vague, probably on purpose. They range from subsidized to luxury. We had thought by now that our son would be settled in a program so we are just brainstorming for ideas for the future. I know it will probably differ depending on the type of housing and areas not to mention how "comfortable" they would be with having our son in the community. We don't go where people don't want us and consider it their loss. It's been a long 27 years. Thank you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement