Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 07:01 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times

Advertisements

I've worked 41 years for the same non-profit. I've been putting money into a 403b for 40 years (TIAA-CREF). I am 63 years old. I just can't continue working at this place! My emotional and physical well-being is suffering....boredom, stress, lack of appreciation, etc. and a very long commute (since 1978) has just about made me nuts!

I want to retire in a few months....and take early Social Security.....so many people say to wait, but I just can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 07:30 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I've worked 41 years for the same non-profit. I've been putting money into a 403b for 40 years (TIAA-CREF). I am 63 years old. I just can't continue working at this place! My emotional and physical well-being is suffering....boredom, stress, lack of appreciation, etc. and a very long commute (since 1978) has just about made me nuts!

I want to retire in a few months....and take early Social Security.....so many people say to wait, but I just can't.
Since you do not provide any financial specifics it would be impossible for anyone to assess whether or not you can AFFORD to retire. However, maybe you are asking the wrong question. Even if you can't "RETIRE", you definitely need to escape from that job.
I believe you already know this from the emotional exhaustion reflected in your post.

Leaving a job you have invested most of your working life in is scary. You need to build your confidence to make the move. Do the financial analysis of income stream and expenses for full retirement, partial retirement, etc. When you see what is financially feasible, put together a personal plan. What would you like to do if you retire, i.e. hobbies, travel, etc.? Discuss your plan with your support network.

Finally, when you get your factual data together, accept the risk of a big decision, and do what your heart tells you to do. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:39 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
If this job affects your mental health see if you can be laid off. In some states you can collect unemployment ins. And social security.
Too much stress shortens your life.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:52 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Quote:

What are you waiting for? It sounds like you are only waiting for other people to tell you that it's time. Are there any positive advantages to waiting another 2-3 years (short of increasing your SS check? It's OKAY for YOU to retire now - when you want to! --- Enjoy your retirement!!

Old 05-31-2014, 08:30 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
What are you waiting for? It sounds like you are only waiting for other people to tell you that it's time. Are there any positive advantages to waiting another 2-3 years (short of increasing your SS check? It's OKAY for YOU to retire now - when you want to! --- Enjoy your retirement!!
I agree with jghorton. If the OP has been putting money into a 403b for 40 years AND will be getting Social Security at age 63 (already one year, or 8%, better than the minimal SS at 62), then we don't need to know the details about exactly how much money is in the 403b or exactly what the SS benefit will be. OP: ditch the stress and ditch the long commute (another source of stress). Your 41 year career is longer than that of many people when they retire.

So unless there is something you haven't disclosed, such as a large amount of credit card debt, what ARE you waiting for?

Old 05-31-2014, 08:34 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,656,908 times
Retire Today, congrats

Old 05-31-2014, 08:57 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
Thanks. Perhaps I was a bit dramatic, but I hear so much about waiting until full SS age, etc. I have no credit card debt and have an extremely good (high) credit rating (800+). I just need to make some financial decisions and go with it. My career has been very rewarding, just the thought of retiring is making me waver between extreme happiness and slight panic. My father had to work his entire life (75). I guess that I am really blessed to be in this situation but I feel the need to be so careful with investments, etc.

Last edited by popcorn247; 05-31-2014 at 09:10 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 09:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Figure out how to bridge the income gap till age 66, W/o taking early SS.

There are many options. consider them all (sell the kids, sell the car, beg on the street corner, get SSD.... This may be ez'r than working.

If you cannot figure it out... continuing working until the incentive to leave uncovers an available option to fund a minimalist existence for a couple yrs.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:53 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
I agree wholeheartedly with Stealth Rabbit. Try to hold off on Social Security if you can.

Also what about health insurance until you reach Medicare age ? That can be huge. Look into your options.

Just sit down and carefully go over your financial picture. Figure out just exactly what would be coming in monthly & over the course of a year. It sounds as though you need to retire, I hope you can.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:59 AM

19 posts, read 27,078 times
I was in exactly the same place as you are now four and one half years ago---could not stand working in Federal service any longer, unrewarded and under appreciated, lousy and very nasty boss for the last two years at my job. They PO offered an early out and I took it--I was one week shy of my 61st birthday. I did take my SS at 62 but I had a pretty handsome amount in my TSP plan (our version of a 401k plan) plus I had rental property providing income. My husband retired the next year from his job , with a pension too and continues to work P/T in a handy man business that provides us extra but it really is just icing on the cake.
I have no credit card debt, no car loans, child's college paid for in full (she had scholarships to help fund it) . If you have the financial means and can live without drawing out too much from your plan, go for it! I have never been happier, the stress is gone, I save a ton of money in gas not going to work. You can actually reduce expenses when you retire. Best of luck to you and I say enjoy your life because none of us have a crystal ball and things can change in a moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement