Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 08:07 AM

417 posts, read 445,363 times

Advertisements

Please, do all of us that are just trying to get by in a tight job market, and stay retired. We need those jobs to survive, not just for something to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 09:06 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
The problem with volunteering is, I find that I am usually reporting to someone who is getting paid.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:15 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The problem with volunteering is, I find that I am usually reporting to someone who is getting paid.
And how is that a "problem", exactly?

Old 08-03-2014, 09:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
If money is not a concern then find something you like to do and go for it and don't give the salary a second thought.

I do sub, extended sub and tutoring in area schools.
If an interesting teaching position opened up I'd apply.

I don't care about the salary. Teacher salaries are lower than what I started out making in 1989.
I enjoy teaching and working with kids.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:50 AM

197 posts, read 209,015 times
Retirement = Retirement

All this questioning about, am I getting what I'm worth? At some point you're going to have to let it go; we've all been there, done that. (Not trying to be too "hard" on you . . . just my two cents.)

Old 08-03-2014, 09:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If an interesting teaching position opened up I'd apply.

I don't care about the salary. ...
I enjoy teaching and working with kids.

Summers off would be nice TOO!

I will be picking up some more hours teaching at local CC's (If / when I get home from this Thailand gig).

I really like being paid to work overseas, I enjoy the cultures / people / food / struggles... but at some age... I will probably not like being 'portable'.

For those that find the right fit... working in retirement can be very pleasurable. But... for those of us who have never punched a clock or showed up for work the same time 2 days in a row... or taken coffee / lunch breaks with the staff...working can be a bit too 'restrictive'.

Enough Variety, and I am fine. (Had 26 different positions with some company)
I have never owned a watch, and don't plan on getting one now.
I like working night shift and weekends and doing stuff that others don't like to do. I don't have any career aspirations! .

Retire early; Retire often.

BTW, I quit watching TV about 50 yrs ago. That is a plus. I have no interest in starting that habit now.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:25 AM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Does your city government need your talents and experience? If you are retired and want part-time work and don't need benefits or high salary there might be a spot there helping your community. I enjoyed 7 years of being a p-t planner almost more than my regular job -- worked for pocket money. Took off when I wanted. No stress -- and they were happy to have me there.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:50 AM

477 posts, read 509,517 times
You say you have experience teaching English as a Second Language - I'm sure that schools in your area could use some qualified volunteers to help student's whose first language is something other than English. I've never heard of a public school that had an overabundance of tutors for kids who need the extra help!

I agree, in this tight job market, taking a job just to have something to do - and lowballing the salary too boot (albeit perhaps inadvertently) isn't a good thing to do. Have some pity on those who need the pay! Step down and find something else to do with your time. You don't have to vegetate in retirement. There are more things to get interested in than just golf. You are most likely eligible to take classes for free at local universities. You could brush up on your ethnology or branch out into something totally different. Take some history classes, or how about some art classes?

I am also confused as to why working at a volunteer job for someone who is getting paid makes any difference. It's not about the pay, right? Contact the Foreign Student Association at your local university and offer your services as a language tutor. Many foreign students have pretty good English skills - but nearly as many really need some help in that arena.

Don't you have ANY hobbies at all? Nothing that you have been putting off because you didn't have the time and thought you would get around to it later? My dad always meant to learn to play the ukelele (hey, it was a hot thing when he was young!) and he always regretted never getting around to it. Learn to play the penny whistle. Learn to play the harmonica. Heck, if you get good enough, you could jam with local bands - many are open to that kind of thing with talented amateurs. Start up your own band - an Irish band, or a blues band, or swing, or whatever floats your boat. Be the sound man or the manager if you don't want to play anything. Play for free in the park, or at the local arts center, or for retirement homes or the children's ward or other hospital locations. Heck, learn to tie balloon animals and make some kids in the hospital REALLY happy for a little while!

There are a MILLION things you could do that would help other people. Working for HR isn't really helping others.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:46 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
What did you used to do for enjoyment before you retired, like when you were in your 40s and 50s?

Old 08-04-2014, 08:30 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
I think I understand. If you do work for pay, you'd like to be paid what the job/duties are worth..and that's appropriate no matter what your age.

Getting hired for a salary less than the job's worth in the open market is being subjected to ageism...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement