Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:43 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times

Advertisements

I'm 71 and I love my house. I intend to stay no matter how debilitated I become. No apartment for me. I had chickens some years ago and would like to have them again, but I want them as pets. I'll eat the eggs, but I don't want them to go to the stew pot when I die. Some live a fairly long life. One of mine lived until she was thirteen.

I hate noise; I hate neighbors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8UzJSU3lWI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 10:18 AM

498 posts, read 572,366 times
We are in our early 70s. Sold the last-owned SFH at age 65 and moved to a condo/duplex in another state. That was a hard move because of our age. I developed health problems at age 66. At that time I was hiking, camping, working part time---being active. Boy, was I happy to be in a HOA with snow removal, outside maintenance, etc. We moved again at age 70 - again to another state. Husband's health is not good. We bought a townhouse/condo with a downstairs bedroom. For a month or two we can be fairly active but there is no way I could take care of a SFH with my back and my husband's lack of memory. When one of us has health issues, we just kick back and work at rehabilitation. Yes, life can turn on a dime. I could not have handled a move, a sick husband, my health, and maintaining a house. Now, when the stars are aligned health wise, we do go out to the woods, travel locally, bird, stay active, and enjoy ourselves. I do not return from an outing thinking I have to cut the grass, hire a plumber, or do anything. I never want another SFH.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:49 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,385,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
We are in our early 70s. Sold the last-owned SFH at age 65 and moved to a condo/duplex in another state. That was a hard move because of our age. I developed health problems at age 66. At that time I was hiking, camping, working part time---being active. Boy, was I happy to be in a HOA with snow removal, outside maintenance, etc. We moved again at age 70 - again to another state. Husband's health is not good. We bought a townhouse/condo with a downstairs bedroom. For a month or two we can be fairly active but there is no way I could take care of a SFH with my back and my husband's lack of memory. When one of us has health issues, we just kick back and work at rehabilitation. Yes, life can turn on a dime. I could not have handled a move, a sick husband, my health, and maintaining a house. Now, when the stars are aligned health wise, we do go out to the woods, travel locally, bird, stay active, and enjoy ourselves. I do not return from an outing thinking I have to cut the grass, hire a plumber, or do anything. I never want another SFH.
I plan to do something similar. Will sell my large SFH in early 60's and relocate to another state. Then plan to rent a townhouse for at least a year and then make a final decision on whether to buy a townhouse or buy a small SFH. The townhouse would definitely need to have some outdoor space, a small yard, patio, or deck and maybe one on a golfcourse. An HOA that covers grounds maintenance would also make it easier for me to travel for extended vacations or snowbird. A condo does not appeal to me - I hate apartments.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:01 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,031,258 times
Not there yet but I think I've learned a lesson or two from watching my grandparents, mother and my in-laws and even some of my neighbors. SFH over 70 is fine, it can be great. But keep it to one floor of living space. Nobody I know over 70-75 ever uses their 2nd floor, just a heating and cooling trap with endless stairs. Keep the property small enough to manage. I hate mowing, raking and snowblowing. In fact someplace that does all that for you would be even better.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:02 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,963,956 times
Different individuals and different locations will have a broad range of options and preferences.

I know people in their late 50's that decided a single family home is too much work and found condos. On the other hand I know seniors in their 90's that do not want to give up control and still live in single family homes and do well.

I tried a condo in the past and hated shared ownership and control... and I get so much enjoyment from the property of my current single family home I question when and if I will be ready to give it up.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:17 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm 71 and I love my house. I intend to stay no matter how debilitated I become. No apartment for me. I had chickens some years ago and would like to have them again, but I want them as pets. I'll eat the eggs, but I don't want them to go to the stew pot when I die. Some live a fairly long life. One of mine lived until she was thirteen.

That's exactly how I feel!

Only one problem; it's almost impossible to get away from noise and neighbors in New Jersey!

(unless one has an unlimited amount of money )

Old 09-16-2014, 12:38 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,687,222 times
Retirement, for me, is still a little over a decade away. However, I have begun planning for it now. My husband is older than me and is in poor health. This contributes to the reason I am doing things slightly earlier than I would otherwise.

These are my thoughts:

I have downsized to a smaller home. I did this because I looked at the all the rooms we were not using in the house that we were paying property taxes on and utilities for, and having to clean. I looked at the large property that took so much work and that was getting harder for my husband to do. I looked at how long it took for us to clean the house. I decided it would be better to buy a smaller home (even though due to the current real estate market purchasing a smaller home cost more than the original purchase price of our larger home). I rolled the money from the larger home into the smaller home so that we would not have a mortgage.

The plan is to live here for 10 years while keeping an eye on my husband's health. In 10 years (or sooner if it becomes necessary) I will retire and we plan to move into a CCRC.

Why am I going into a CCRC at a relatively "young" age? The reason is because there are usually health screenings and a qualification process to get into a CCRC. I want to make sure that we are qualified. If I see that my husband's health continues to decline, I will make the decision to sell this home and move to the CCRC earlier.

Sometimes waiting too long can be a mistake. It can mean that we won't qualify. It can mean someone else makes the decision for us and we wind up someplace not of our choosing and where we wouldn't want to be.

A huge factor for us is that we have no children or relatives that will care for us when we are infirm. Therefore, we need a place that even if we run out of money and are reliant upon only what Long-Term Care insurance or Medicare will pay for our future health care needs, the CCRC endowment gives us a “Life Care Guarantee.” We will be taken care of for life. It is one less worry on my mind, and one more form of insurance for my needs.

I would much rather live in a SF home forever. I would much rather be young, healthy, and of sound mind forever too. I don't think that is a realistic hope for me, so I am making the best decisions I can, given the cruel realities of life, while I am still able.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:45 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

Yup, I know whatcha mean!

I am 67, wife is 65. Both recently retired. Moved from very urbanized Rhode Island to northern Maine, with 33 acres and a small ranch house our family built last year. Oh yaaaa, we love our poultry (have turkeys and chickens) and the fresh food from the gardens. No condo's or HOAs for us, not at any age. I spent this summer building a wood shed (we heat with wood) that has an outhouse built into it. We have an indoor bathroom too.

We are both in great health, but never did anything when young to cause problems (smoking-drinking-drugs). It is just unthinkable for us to move back to the cities. Let me die, if I'm gonna die! Don't go spending a gazillion bucks to keep me alive with a tube up my nose. When my time is up, that's it!

Besides...we just don't think 60's are that old. We could easily be here another 20 years.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,068,816 times
I am in love with the epcon community type of condo.
Epcon Communities | Where Life Comes Together
They are all ranch type communities and there are several all over the eastern half and midwestern part of the US.

Although my SFH is ideal for a single senior, I am ready for something else. I have replaced all the major stuff including roof, heat pump, fridge, dw, water heater, water conditioner, old carpet, etc. so it will be a bonus for someone. Low taxes and low HOA. But a yard full of leaves and stuff that needs taken care of gives me major backaches. Wishing for a different lifestyle and I am 71 now. My 10 years here are up !

Old 09-16-2014, 03:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
We faced this decision when we moved in 2012. DH is over 70 and I am younger (67). We both badly wanted a SFH. But we chose a home that has a very small yard, and is one level. The subdivision is also level. I don't know if we made the right decision. So far we are in good health, and we can do things. But we are having some things done for us, and that is a change from the previous decades.

Where our next move will be will be governed by our health, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement