Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 06:26 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,486 times

Advertisements

Whatever I have left will go to a charity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 06:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
I am not planning for it but whatever is left over after I'm gone will be the "inheritance".

Old 10-26-2014, 06:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
We gave our excess (not much) by creating family foundation / donor advised fund while we were in heavy tax yrs. (Age 35 - 45)

There is enough to support our gifting through perpetuity

Our kids will manage gifting, and so will grandkids...

As soon as our kids were beyond college age and on their own, we changed the trust / wills to direct excess to our (small) foundation.

designated the houses and commercial props to go to non-profit agencies we have supported since we were age 17.

a remainder is set aside for our surviving parents and siblings (poor), none to our kids. They are not totally impressed, but they recognize our values (We have lived (worked) to give all our lives.. drive a $35 car and eat on $100/ month. It is no big deal.. we are blessed with a great view! and great friends and family). Kids will survive (if they can get healthcare (Which we cannot get).

Old 10-26-2014, 06:29 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
When the time comes, I guess the kids can sell whatever I own.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:46 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,453,265 times
We have no children - but with the cost of nursing care in the next 30 years I suspect Corporate Healthcare will take every last penny we own.

We'll probably die as Medicaid recipients.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:00 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,458,823 times
We have planned and prepared, but no one knows the future. Having 5 retirement incomes (3 pensions and Social Security x 2) we should be able to hopefully live without having to take a dime from our 401K/TSP programs. Being military retired, medical care is not quite the concerns it is for others (not bragging, just entering that fact into the equation).

We had fully intended to divide any assets equally between our children at the time of our demise, but with a single special needs grandchild, we had to rethink our plans.

We have explained to our kids that his NEEDS far out way anyone's wants, and we are grateful that our other grandchildren have been blessed with great health an abilities. Without significant change in the current status (our autistic grandson is 4 1/2) our assets have been protected to allow for his needs as he ages. We have secured an attorney that specializes in "protecting" him from the assets that we leave to ensure that they are set up to compliment his needs, no disqualify him from entitlements/services he might require and be entitled to. We are grateful our children understand and are on board, and that they too feel the need to ensure that our little man's needs are met as a family, regardless of what we must do to secure his care and treatments.

I think whenever a special needs that appears to be a potential life long financial challenge appears, it forces you to reconsider the distribution from equal to need. I am grateful our children understand his needs come first, and what is left would be equally distributed should the needs no longer be there.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:53 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
What I leave is totally dependent upon how long I live. I've already given plenty to both my children and my grandchildren. They all seem to be doing well.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:57 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,598 times
Most of my retirement income will come from a pension and social security with only 1/4 or so from a 401K. My plans are to spend it at a conservative rate to last until I am age 95 or so. Unless I live to be a very old age or end up in a nursing home for many years, I should have some money left from my 401K and home. I don't have a husband or children but do have a will and beneficiary papers leaving my estate to my siblings and their children. It's not my goal to leave an estate but I'd never try to spend it all for fear of outliving my money.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:05 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,348,414 times
You might want to plan on living forever so that means you will be leaving some assets to someone? Maybe your spouse.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:16 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Default Do you plan to leave an inheritance?

Not really. I've made plans, but I have no idea how long I'll live or what my expenses will be later in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement