Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 05:04 PM

107 posts, read 204,350 times

Advertisements

If you are fortunate enough to have traveled in your retirement years, please tell me your best trips. Why did you go there? Was it everything you expected? Did you travel with a tour group or venture out on your own? I want to pick a new place every year; just one trip a year each year after I retire (in about 5 years). Since the USA and the world have very exciting places, I'll need to pick the best of the best. I love history, museums, nature, mountains, seashore and architectural wonders. Please help me create my "Retirement Bucket List" ... thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 06:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Of course our travel bucket lists will all be much different:

My favorites aligned to your interests (Pre-and Post retirement)

US / Canada:
  • Utah National Parks (I have lived in / saturated Rocky Mtn / Yellowstone / Tetons / Black Hills / badlands / Glacier...)
  • DC - especially good for biking (I go for Memorial Day and Veteran's Day) I include Civil War trail in these trips
  • NE USA for leaf peeping, be sure to include New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia
  • Pacific Northwest (one of my current homes). Rent a sailboat for a couple months, or live on an Island for a few months (San Juan (USA), or Gulf Islands (BC Canada)) We rented a youth camp staff cabin 'off-season' for 6 months.

International Other spots: (I have yet to discover South America (Coming in 2015 on RTW (round the world) 12 month / 12 stop ticket)
  • History and Architecture - I like Belgium, Germany, Italy
  • Mtns - Switzerland, Northern Italy
  • Food - Thailand, Malaysia
  • Beaches - Philippines / Cook Islands
  • Culture - Cambodia / Myanmar (yet to visit, but scheduled)
  • Variety - New Zealand
  • Safety + International culture - Singapore (Lived there when kids were young, Housing is too expensive now ... food is still very cheap ~ $5/ day)

I travel a lot (8 of last 10 months), and have had employment that paid my family to live internationally.
I like to be in an area for at least a month, and live like a local, never a tourist.
Been using $10/ night hospitality homes world-wide for 25+ yrs, It is terrific and makes trips MUCH more interesting, productive, and educational. (+ new friends every trip) Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

I get updates on pre-sorted flights here Airfare Deals - Cheap Flights - Airfarewatchdog

For USA; I 'fly-drive'
$89 ticket on SWA (free luggage, free changes)
$10/day rental car (Priceline or Hotwire)
$3/day food (Grocery store / discarded produce / dairy)
$10/day lodging (Hospitality Guest home)

For International:
Agoda.com or Hotels.com ~ $20 / night (If I can't find a guest home)
Cheap International Flights - Tips for Flying to Worldwide Destinations
lots of walking / public transportation / scooter rentals
Local food is usually cheap, best from fresh markets / food stalls / farm stands (I NEVER eat in hotels)

Have fun.
You will find many interesting retirees working / volunteering / living in RVs in the USA National Parks and National Forests. They each have a great story!

Old 11-18-2014, 07:53 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
In the fall of 2006 I set out in my car on a two and a half month, 10,000 mile road trip. I stayed mostly in motels but also with some friends and relatives who had invited me. I headed north from Los Angeles, visited an aviation museum on the way to Sacramento's fantastic railroad museum, then up through the redwoods and along the Oregon coast. There is a great aviation museum in northern Oregon where the Spruce Goose now resides. I went through the Canadian Rockies (spectacular) on my way to Edmonton, Alberta (Canada). From there south to Kansas City, and on to St. Louis. (I am leaving out the various old friends and cousins whom I visited on the grounds that would be boring in this context). On through Amish country in eastern Ohio after visiting the Air Force Aviation Museum at Wright-Patterson. Then Buffalo, New York, and Washington, D.C. (the usual stuff there - Smithsonian, National Cathedral, etc.). Then drove the Blue Ridge Parkway on my way to northern Georgia, Baton Rouge, Little Rock (World War II submarine anchored in the Arkansas River is open to the public), Dallas, and various points on the way home to Los Angeles, including Carlsbad Caverns.

That is an outline (high points only), designed to make my point that some of us still enjoy road trips. That was the longest road trip I have ever taken, both in elapsed time and in miles driven. There is a lot to see right here in the United States.

I took another road trip (shorter) of three and a half weeks in July-August this year, getting as far east as Blue Ridge, Georgia. Attended a fantastic blue grass music concert in Nashville, where I had never been before. Also drove the Natchez Trace Parkway for the first time.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:56 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,703 times
I like road trips and I would not take any organized tours any more, I like to wake up on my own terms haha instead of waking up at the crack of dawn to get into a tour bus.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Really since we turned 60 we have more gotten into road trips. Especially has we dislike flying now days and have the time. We often take the old roadways and never in a hurry just as long as we get where we want to spend the night. Instead of sitting in airports we stop in small towns and walk around; perhaps have coffee or tea. I have always loved road trips as has wife since we took so many being children of the 50-60's having done them with parents.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:18 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Of course our travel bucket lists will all be much different:

My favorites aligned to your interests (Pre-and Post retirement)

US / Canada:
  • Utah National Parks (I have lived in / saturated Rocky Mtn / Yellowstone / Tetons / Black Hills / badlands / Glacier...)
  • DC - especially good for biking (I go for Memorial Day and Veteran's Day) I include Civil War trail in these trips
  • NE USA for leaf peeping, be sure to include New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia
  • Pacific Northwest (one of my current homes). Rent a sailboat for a couple months, or live on an Island for a few months (San Juan (USA), or Gulf Islands (BC Canada)) We rented a youth camp staff cabin 'off-season' for 6 months.

International Other spots: (I have yet to discover South America (Coming in 2015 on RTW (round the world) 12 month / 12 stop ticket)
  • History and Architecture - I like Belgium, Germany, Italy
  • Mtns - Switzerland, Northern Italy
  • Food - Thailand, Malaysia
  • Beaches - Philippines / Cook Islands
  • Culture - Cambodia / Myanmar (yet to visit, but scheduled)
  • Variety - New Zealand
  • Safety + International culture - Singapore (Lived there when kids were young, Housing is too expensive now ... food is still very cheap ~ $5/ day)

I travel a lot (8 of last 10 months), and have had employment that paid my family to live internationally.
I like to be in an area for at least a month, and live like a local, never a tourist.
Been using $10/ night hospitality homes world-wide for 25+ yrs, It is terrific and makes trips MUCH more interesting, productive, and educational. (+ new friends every trip) Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

I get updates on pre-sorted flights here Airfare Deals - Cheap Flights - Airfarewatchdog

For USA; I 'fly-drive'
$89 ticket on SWA (free luggage, free changes)
$10/day rental car (Priceline or Hotwire)
$3/day food (Grocery store / discarded produce / dairy)
$10/day lodging (Hospitality Guest home)

For International:
Agoda.com or Hotels.com ~ $20 / night (If I can't find a guest home)
Cheap International Flights - Tips for Flying to Worldwide Destinations
lots of walking / public transportation / scooter rentals
Local food is usually cheap, best from fresh markets / food stalls / farm stands (I NEVER eat in hotels)

Have fun.
You will find many interesting retirees working / volunteering / living in RVs in the USA National Parks and National Forests. They each have a great story!
Why specifically, the Cook Islands? I have never been there and might have to put it on my list.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:31 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOV49 View Post
Since the USA and the world have very exciting places, I'll need to pick the best of the best. I love history, museums, nature, mountains, seashore and architectural wonders.
Northern New Mexico is imo the cream of the crop when it comes to mountains, nature, and museums (in Taos and Santa Fe). I agree with Georgia O'Keefe, the area around Abiqui NM is the most accessible magical place on the planet. You didn't include food as a criteria, it's pretty magical too in NM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Utah National Parks
+1. Everyone in the US should once in their life make the 5-park circuit: Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon (my personal favorite) and the crown jewel: Zion. There's good reason why all those Japanese, Germans, Canadians, and Aussies travel so far to visit the area. Add a couple of days and you can throw in the Grand Canyon.
Don't even think of going in the summer though. Mid-to-late October is best and blissful.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:40 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Northern New Mexico is imo the cream of the crop when it comes to mountains, nature, and museums (in Taos and Santa Fe). I agree with Georgia O'Keefe, the area around Abiqui NM is the most accessible magical place on the planet. You didn't include food as a criteria, it's pretty magical too in NM.

+1. Everyone in the US should once in their life make the 5-park circuit: Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon (my personal favorite) and the crown jewel: Zion. There's good reason why all those Japanese, Germans, Canadians, and Aussies travel so far to visit the area. Add a couple of days and you can throw in the Grand Canyon.
Don't even think of going in the summer though. Mid-to-late October is best and blissful.
Love the Utah parks but I would add Needles and Newspaper Rock State Park as well. All in the same area.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:11 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,261,106 times
If you don't know about Road Scholar (formerly Elderhostel until the Boomers wouldn't sign up for a program with "elder" in the name), you must look into it.

I have taken about a dozen Road Scholar programs over the past 10 years, some with my husband, some with my sister, and some by myself. A week is typical, but some are shorter. Mine have been on the East Coast, but there are plenty elsewhere in the U.S. and also abroad. The ones in the U.S. tend to be relatively inexpensive, and the days are packed with experiences and lectures that you just could not access except through Road Scholar.

If I have one complaint, it's that the days are just too full, especially for someone who's not a morning person. But I've learned I can skip some sessions -- except I always wish I hadn't when I hear about how interesting they were!

My parents did some of these in the '80s and loved them. And the overall program has only gotten better.

Road Scholar: Educational Travel and Learning Vacations for Adults from Alaska to Italy It's celebrating its 40th anniversary. In the "old days," you had to be 55+ but now I think it's open to all adults. One interesting aspect is their inter-generational programs, where you can travel with grandchildren or nieces/nephews.

If luxe accommodations and gourmet food are important to you, this is not a good fit. But we have found the value is phenomenal and the opportunities to explore new areas and expand your knowledge are just outstanding.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:16 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Love the Utah parks but I would add Needles and Newspaper Rock State Park as well. All in the same area.
We included Needles in the Canyonlands circuit.
There's probably a limit on how much glory a person can experience on one trip.

All said and done, I heartily endorse the Utah parks and think they should be top everyone's bucket list. But my own ~~very~~ personal and objective opinion is Northern New Mexico beats them all hollow.
Fortunately it's rare that anyone has to choose between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement