Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 01:35 PM

536 posts, read 962,306 times

Advertisements

When you retire, and are living on just retirement, will the banks still loan you money to purchase a home? Dumb question maybe, but I always wondered how that worked. Like you are 65 and you move, you have SS, and a pension from your job, and some investments. Would you even be able to get a loan at that age? Would they require a large down payment? Would it be limited on the amount of time (years) you could barrow? Now I guess it would come down to the amount you want to barrow, and how much total income you have from retirement. My parents built their dream home when they retired. They were able to put a very large down payment, and only barrowed a small amount and were able to pay it off rather quickly. They saved, and had inherited money which helped them. For me, we'll have a house to sell that will mostly be or will be paid off. So we would have that to put for large down payment, but will probably have to barrow some as I know the next house will most likely cost a little more than the one we have now.

Does my question make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 01:44 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Makes sense and yes you can get a loan without a major down payment. Your SS and pension are more secure than a job and you have money invested and minimal debt. We did it on a second home

Old 10-19-2014, 01:46 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,442,060 times
The Equal Credit Opportunity Act

The Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA) prohibits credit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age, or whether you get public assistance. Creditors may ask you for most of this information in certain situations, but they may not use it when deciding whether to give you credit or when setting the terms of your credit. They are never allowed to ask your religion. Everyone who participates in the decision to grant credit or in setting the terms of that credit, including real estate brokers who arrange financing, must follow the provisions of the ECOA.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:07 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,767,626 times
Lenders don't care what your age is. You can get a mortgage when you're ninety if the finances are there. All they care about is if you qualify for the loan.

FHA mortgages can be had 3.5 % down plus mortgage insurance, VA loans of 0% down, conventional loans with 5-20% down ( depending on the product)

Figure out how much you want to spend, then go speak to a few mortgage lenders to get an idea of what is out there for you and what they will lend.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:17 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Over 65 isn't treated any differently, as long as you have a steady, reliable income stream.

FYI, for qualifying purposes, lenders around here gross up your SS benefit 25% (presumable b/c your taxes in retirement are less), add to that your pension, any RMDs from retirement funds, etc. So, if your SS is $2k/mo, lender is using $2,500.

Down payment can be dependent on property type. Usually 20% without PMI. Certain government programs require less. Interest rate varies by type of property and term of loan.

Essentially, your mortgage payment, taxes and insurance shouldn't exceed 25-28% of your gross income. That figure can be stretched to 30-32% if you have no other fixed debt - and, in some cases, even higher.

Most retirees usually have a pretty good down payment.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:25 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,513,135 times
And good credit.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:44 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,963,956 times
Most lenders underwrite loans with a goal of selling them so you must fit into their profile. Income from your IRA is only counted if it provided in a repeated fashion controlled by a financial institution, but if you handle the transfers as needed it will not qualify as income. I had to change the way I transferred funds in order to jump through this hoop for a simple refinance.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:56 PM

536 posts, read 962,306 times
Thank you. This is all good information. I think it's important in retirement (and anytime really) to pay off loans as quickly as possible. Our debt ratio is low now, since we don't buy things on "time" much, and pay off credit card balances each month (if there is a balance). We also buy our cars with cash, or make sure it's a small enough loan that it's paid off within a short period of time. My husband qualifies for VA loans, so that would be zero down. We purchased our current house for less than the amount we qualified for. Which gave us a very low house payment. But when we retire we'd like to maybe build a house on some land, if we can afford it. So this house would be part of the down payment to get the loan debt amount lower.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:32 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,249,758 times
Smile From a mortgage broker in Florida

Lots of mortgages are given to those over 65. No one fits into the "box" banks will have us led to believe exists. Every situation is different.

As someone pointed above, FHA will lend with 3.5% down. There is also a new conventional product (My Community) with 5% down, however, if you can put down more, that's great also.

There are also renovation loans out there where we lend based on the final "subject to" price.

You do have options.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:53 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,996 times
I am proof that there are loans for retirees. At age 67, I got a 30 year mortgage for well over $300k with 30% down. 20% down is more standard but I got a slightly better rate at 30%. My credit was not perfect and I had to clear up some errors. I had deferred social security and had to start taking payments as part of the qualification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement