Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:08 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,125 times

Advertisements

I have not thought it through completely and would appreciate some feedback here..

Volunteer hours should go towards social security benefits (like working).

To encourage folks to volunteer (for legitimate programs..)

What do you think?

Mike G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 03:23 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,903 times
Hard to collect the individual and company paid portions of the social security tax if the person is not paid; and SS is paid based on a combination of what you put into the system (plus employer portion), as well as quarters worked.

Perhaps if the large non-profits like Red Cross paid the SS taxes for volunteers at a minimum wage level, but then that adds an expense they don't currently have, so I doubt they would sign up for a cost they currently don't have, and it may cause them to turn away "volunteers" that can't be more productive than the cost the organization incurs for their "volunteer" work (welcome to the free market!).

I volunteer for organizations with goals or services that I support, and that need my services to do their "mission." That won't change whether I get SS credit for that service or not.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:24 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
I have not thought it through completely and would appreciate some feedback here..

What do you think?

Mike G
Would you have them dig into their pockets to pay for their contributions to Social Security and Medicare? Because the working folks contribute to Social Security and Medicare funds through payroll deductions, and their employers also pay into those funds for their employees, it's not free.

And would those volunteers contribute just an employee's share of SS and Medicare, or like self-employed people, pay both parts ( around 14% or so for SS) as their contributions.

I don't believe volunteer hours should go towards either program.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:33 PM

282 posts, read 382,188 times
The problem with the SS payroll contributions has already been stated, and I agree.
I do think volunteer work is valuable. But how do you put a dollar value on it to list as a charitable contribution on federal tax form 1040 schedule A? And if you get a tax deduction for the value, you would need to include the value as taxable income in the first place.

FYI,
If you drove to and from the volunteer work, you can take the actual cost of gas and oil or 14 cents a mile. Add parking and tolls to the amount you claim under either method. But do not deduct any amounts that were repaid to you. (reimbursed).

Old 01-12-2015, 03:50 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
Personally, I think its a dumb idea. If you want to be compensated for your work, get a job and get paid. What you're essentially asking is that I and all other tax payers, further subsidize your volunteerism. Retirees already get all kinds of benefits, SS, Medicare that others work to provide. And now, you want a further subsidy so you don't have to pay the very meager taxes you pay. Unbelievable.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:06 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Nope, at the end of the day ss needs and operates on real money.

My wife and i both volunteer our time
; she gives 20 hrs/mo while i give maybe 10, because that is what volunteerig is about.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:34 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
OP, you are dreaming. What is it about the word "volunteer" that you don't understand? I spend about 15 hours a week in volunteer work and I don't expect to be compensated in any way.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Why does very one want something. A volunteer is basically never paid or its just another income job. No stick to people who do it because they want to. I am sure we are all use to the volunteer who really doesn't want to be there. Besides SS is in enough problem continuing to pay those who put into the system.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:14 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
It would never work here in Phoenix area where there are 10 volunteers for every opening ! Too many retirees flooding the market ! But if it did happen to get promoted, I would like airline miles instead of $$$.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:32 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post

What do you think?

Mike G
No. Only those who contribute money into the program should receive benefits. Too much being drained from the fund now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement