Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 07:58 AM

173 posts, read 380,804 times

Advertisements

I can probably get this question answered by someone I work with, but maybe someone on this forum can help too.

I am in the Alaska Teacher's Retirement system and will eventually retire at around the age of 50-55 which a defined benefit pension with health care benefits. We don't pay in to social security like a lot of state pension systems. So my question is whether I will get a social security check when I am eligible to draw those benefits. I went online to ssa.gov and it says that I have 32 credits and need to attain 40 in order to qualify.

But I thought I remember talking to retirees up here who have said that if you draw a state pension you don't get social security. Anyone know if this is a myth or fact?

Also, does anyone know how much longer I would need to work in a job that paid into SS in order to jump up from 32 to 40 credits. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 09:50 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2hoop View Post
But I thought I remember talking to retirees up here who have said that if you draw a state pension you don't get social security. Anyone know if this is a myth or fact?

It's a myth, but your state pension will have an impact on your Social Security benefit. Since you will be drawing a public pension based on work on which Social Security taxes were not paid, Social Security will use a different formula when computing your benefits which will have the effect of reducing the amount that you will receive. It's called the Windfall Elimination Provision and you can read how it impacts you here:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2hoop View Post
Also, does anyone know how much longer I would need to work in a job that paid into SS in order to jump up from 32 to 40 credits. Thanks!
You receive one quarter for every $1,220* you earn this year, but you can only earn 4 quarters of credit each calendar year. Consequently, you'll need to perform Social Security-covered work in at least two separate calendar years in order to receive the eight quarters of coverage you'll need to be eligible for Social Security benefits.

*The dollar amount per credit can be adjusted each year based on rises in inflation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement