Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 01:59 PM

32 posts, read 50,005 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your reply. I agree the tax situation should not be the sole influence in the decision. The decision of when to take the benefit is a hard one to make. If you could use the extra funds the option you presented is a very good solution. If only we had a crystal ball to see into the future.

Are any of the funds that are withheld ever returned? I thought I read, in another post, that the funds would be reimbursed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 04:49 PM

426 posts, read 506,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianamike View Post
Thank you for your reply. I agree the tax situation should not be the sole influence in the decision. The decision of when to take the benefit is a hard one to make. If you could use the extra funds the option you presented is a very good solution. If only we had a crystal ball to see into the future.

Are any of the funds that are withheld ever returned? I thought I read, in another post, that the funds would be reimbursed.
The funds, from months of withholding checks, could be returned, if the person overestimated their pre-fra earnings.

So, if Sherry, instead of earning $85000.00, only earned $82000.00, and then the pre FRA amount (the amount that SSA cares about) is $1984.00, not $2567, she is due money and SSA will send it to her.

But, you might be referring to the "ARF", adjustment of the reduction factor. Where, when the year is up, SSA only "permanently reduces your FRA amount" by the actual # of full checks you got before your FRA month. Remember, to get Sherry checks, she started with January, which is 7 months pre-fra. But, Sherry didn't get 7 checks, she got 5 checks, or in the scenario above (the $82000.00) she got 6 full months, not 7. So they will adjust her benefit, going forward, and give her the lower reduction factor to reflect the lesser # of checks she received.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement