Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:35 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is in his late 50s and is looking to retire in a couple years. He hasn't held a regular job in years, and has mostly supported himself via an eldercare consulting business and his rental income. Between him and his wife (early 60s, still working) they have five paid off rental properties netting them about $6,000/month, after property management expenses, taxes, etc, are taken out. As far as I know, he doesn't have much in the way of investments and the way, while working, is expected to retire soon. He's counting on this rental income to support him in retirement and his philosophy is that what counts is what's in your checking account every month.

Do you agree or know any retirees supporting themselves mostly with rental income? How did it work out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 11:24 AM

2,020 posts, read 3,194,915 times
My 84-year-old mother became a widow at 44. She was left with my father's government pension, a paid off house, and worked part-time retail jobs for several years to help make ends meet. At the same time my father died in 1975, she was left with extra money that she needed to invest in order to avoid taxes. She decided to buy a rental and through the many years since bought several other rentals in Southern California. Now she just has one rental left that pays almost twice as much per month than her pension. Us Kids were considering selling the remaining house as she has Alzheimer's now, but we were advised to keep the house as its a good source of income for her.(and we avoid taxes for now). In my mom's case she was lucky that homes appreciated so much and brought her a good return.

Last edited by smpliving; 06-19-2015 at 11:48 AM..

Old 06-19-2015, 12:07 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
A friend of mine is in his late 50s and is looking to retire in a couple years. He hasn't held a regular job in years, and has mostly supported himself via an eldercare consulting business and his rental income. Between him and his wife (early 60s, still working) they have five paid off rental properties netting them about $6,000/month, after property management expenses, taxes, etc, are taken out. As far as I know, he doesn't have much in the way of investments and the way, while working, is expected to retire soon. He's counting on this rental income to support him in retirement and his philosophy is that what counts is what's in your checking account every month.

Do you agree or know any retirees supporting themselves mostly with rental income? How did it work out?
They will also get ss when they hit 62, 66, or 70 I suppose. I'm trying to do something somewhat similar with rental partially funding retirement in a year or two. I have 4 paid for houses that I rent out, my house I'm paying on but not sure if I want that big and costly house in retirement, and just bought a vacation rental in Spain. But I will also have a decent work pension and significant 401 K to draw from if I need it.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:29 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,766 times
We are hoping to do that. We are co-owners of 2 rental houses now (with MIL) - hope to have 1 or 2 more in the near future.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:02 PM

888 posts, read 890,117 times
My projections show that the net rental income we received will provide 40-45% of our expected retirement income. The best risk-free scenario, I believe, is to have them debt-free and keep them in good condition with a generous repair budget of 15% of rental income. You've got to have the personality to have success as a landlord (old school term) and be willing to reach into your fat wallet for the big ticket items that eventually come up like a roof or HVAC replacement.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:27 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Unless you have them under a competent management company (as the OP's friends do), you aren't really retired. But that's OK, it gives you something to do.

Signed,

"retired" or semi retired since age 38.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:06 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Investing in real estate is just like most other investments... it has risks both long and short term. But it is also a business that must be run so it may take more time and attention.

While it is not for me I do know more than one person that do very well with property income.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:32 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Unless you have them under a competent management company (as the OP's friends do), you aren't really retired. But that's OK, it gives you something to do.

Signed,

"retired" or semi retired since age 38.
I think the property manager takes like 8% and takes care of all the mowing/landscaping, day-to-day maintenance, and for big ticket items, the landlord effectively gets a discount on what he'd have to pay another contractor to do it for. This property manager manages around 400 properties in the area and has plumbers, carpenters, electricians on staff and has enough to keep them all busy apparently.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:55 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
That's great. Are you sure the PM doesn't pass along the cost of mowing & minor maintenance? Sounds too good to be true.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:24 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
That's great. Are you sure the PM doesn't pass along the cost of mowing & minor maintenance? Sounds too good to be true.
Our general rule is that if we have the property paid for, expect about 50% of the rent as profit after considering prop mgmt fees, property tax, insurance, maintenance, rental down time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement