Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 03:32 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Mmm, no... I can tell the difference, too... They is hatred in one's eyes and fear in the other's.

A kitty alone all day while I worked would get depressed, but we're talking about in retirement.

You do not know kitties very well. The fear you see in their eyes is probably your fear being reflected back to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 03:35 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
You do not know kitties very well. The fear you see in their eyes is probably your fear being reflected back to you.
(eye roll)

I don't have "fear" (no blood is drawn); I just feel bad for the big galumph.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:05 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Get a 15-year-old dog from the shelter, and you don't have to do anything beyond "comfort care" for it.

Don't let greedy vets bully you! Consider it hospice for pets. I would love to run such a place one day...
It was not about greedy vets.

From your response not sure you have ever had a senior dog. Having your dog stop eating, have trouble walking, etc, it is just not about free "comfort care".
I was not bullied by any Vets. I thought I at least owed her to find out what was wrong with her so we could care for her better. She took care of us for 13 years, the least I could do was take care of her in her last two years.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:10 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

From your response not sure you have ever had a senior dog. Having your dog stop eating, have trouble walking, etc, it is just not about free "comfort care".
I was not bullied by any Vets. I thought I at least owed her to find out what was wrong with her so we could care for her better. She took care of us for 13 years, the least I could do was take care of her in her last two years.
Yes, I have; when they's no quality of life, they go to sleep knowing they're well-loved rather than suffer. Often it's the most loving thing we can do for them. But people have differing views on this, I'm well aware! Some vets are really out to make a buck by guilting owners; not necessarily your vet.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have; when they're no quality of life, they go to sleep knowing they're well-loved rather than suffer. But people have differing views on this, I'm well aware!
Of course, when it gets that their quality is life is sad. Normally it is a slow progression. Old age begins to set in, sometimes just a steroid shot will get them going again for several months. Sometimes some medicine for a few weeks. Sometimes one gets x-rays taken to see if you can help their quality of life.

I certainly hope at the first signs of trouble my sons don't decide to just give me "comfort care". For all I have done for them! They better darn sight do a few tests As I felt the same with my sweet dog.

Our Vet office was the kindest and most compassion place.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:20 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

Well said.

Sometimes even comfort care is expensive. My elderly GSD got shots to help with his arthritis and was on a supplement and an anti inflammatory none of which was cheap but together greatly improved the quality of his life. My decisions about his care had nothing to do with the vet. Senior pets can be expensive but IMO that's money well spent. My pets gave me their love and companionship throughout their life and I will absolutely give them the very best care I can when they're old.

FYI for anyone reading the thread - there are some rescues that will help with ongoing medical expenses for a senior pet if you adopt a senior from them. If someone is looking to adopt a senior but is concerned about the cost of medical care it might be worth investigating..

Old 07-07-2015, 04:36 PM

664 posts, read 1,027,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I didn't even want to open this thread because I am so torn about this that I usually avoid the subject entirely.
Until this past year or so, I have never ever considered living a dog-free life. But it has been that long plus I am now alone!
(Can you tell I may be weakening ??)

I know what you mean.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
My pets gave me their love and companionship throughout their life and I will absolutely give them the very best care I can when they're old.
You made me get a tissue.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I didn't even want to open this thread because I am so torn about this that I usually avoid the subject entirely.
Until this past year or so, I have never ever considered living a dog-free life. But it has been that long plus I am now alone!
(Can you tell I may be weakening ??)
I don't think you are weakening. I always say when I grow up I will get another pet. I will be finished all of my adventures and work and will have a need for a furry friend by my side.
They are wonderful companions.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:00 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
oh yes, I need and want to have a dog so much (I am a dog lover) but the places where I have rented have not allowed dogs. I do see dogs around here now, apparently people are allowed to have them if they get a "companion" necessity OK'd by their doctor (or something like that) which I could do. But now that I will have to move in a year, I'll need to wait until I get settled again and make sure I find a dog friendly apartment. I'll have to make that a priority! In SD most complexes don't allow dogs, only cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement