Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 09:20 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times

Advertisements

I think people are puzzled about a whole lot of things in life.
IMO, most people just let life happen to them, they do what society expects...never asking 'what do I want?" They get married because it's expected...have kids, go to college or take a job for the same reason.

IF or where to move in retirement is a big decision, that can be costly to UNdo. Of course it CAN be done, but no one wants to make costly mistakes. Even so, I'd say there's a difference between someone musing about where to live or move to ...and agonizing over it. And I suppose that depends on that person's own personality, and resources at hand for the possible move or change.

I'm blessed to know where I want to live. But there are some things I don't know. I know the plan is to retire to a paid off family home. I also know I'd like -- if money allows -- live or travel away from home, a lot. I work in DC, but two co-workers from New England (CT and NH) both retired to NH.....1) they were from NE, 2) they both said it was the tax load that really sealed their choice. Had they NOT been New Englanders would they have moved to NH JUST because of the taxes....I don't know.

But then again look at how many people retire to an area they've NEVER lived in...because of the weather, taxes, family members. I have a co-worker right now who says she's waiting to see where her daughter settles so they can likely move close to her. Uh, I haven't asked. "are you planning to move everywhere this daughter might move in her life?" Mom will be retired, so maybe she is.

it is interesting to see the WEIGHT people give to all kinds of factors when deciding about a retirement move. And again is it musing or agonizing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 09:31 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Well, it's worrying if your thinking is unproductive, and planning if it is!

I have never understood how people can do so many critical things in life because "that's what you're supposed to do." I mean, you can hardly brush your teeth without giving it a bit of thought! How can people marry/have kids/go to college/etc. on automatic pilot?

If someone has spent their whole life doing what's expected (who is expecting this?) then I think they'd be pretty rusty to think well or freely about a retirement plan or place. Old dog, new tricks.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:32 AM

284 posts, read 362,472 times
It is a big decision, but I'm very excited about the possibility of retiring to a new place! For most of my adult life I've been bound by responsibilities both on family and career fronts. I've played it safe and stayed in an area I've not particularly liked because it was practical and to a large degree, it was what was expected. In the end it's payed off to the extent that I'll have a nice pension and the ability to retire to a pretty good lifestyle at 56. That being said, I see retirement as my chance to now live where I want and to kind of reinvent myself in this next phase of life.

In looking for a location, we started out by making a list of priorities and did the necessary research and recon. We think we've found the perfect place for us that offers lots of the kind of things we enjoy. I get an overwhelming sense of freedom just thinking about the chance to start fresh somewhere else without the constraints of our normal routine and in a place we like. Hopefully, the move will be a much needed adventure for my DH and me (he very much feels the same way) and we're ready to live life more on our own terms. Guess the reality of aging and not wanting to wait any longer to get out there and enjoy the life we envision is hitting us full on!

Old 07-29-2015, 10:46 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
^^You want to say where this is? ((Or not spoil its tranquility by letting others know about it.)

Old 07-29-2015, 03:08 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
We have the same base here. I grew up in Maine. Moved to Massachusetts and deciding on a location. Right now that location with outdoorsie stuff, better weather and low taxes seems to be pointing towards Tennessee in the Tellico region between Knoxville and Chattanooga. I would like to be closer to Knoxville with the huge Tellico lake to enjoy but DW and I will work out details once we look around. It still may end up we are somewhere else but we will investigate that area.

I am leaning towards buying land and custom building a home. We have items that we want in the home. First instead of heat registers in the floor we want heated floors. The house has to have a basement and all living quarters on single floor (ranch style).
Know that you have been doing a lot of research but note that the Kiplinger State by State guide to taxes has GA as a very tax friendly state. Whereas NC and TN are mixed. Then you add in the cost of living. I went shopping and the 9.5% sales tax caught my attention.

Many military retire in GA is why I mention it and property tax is reduced at 65.

That being said as I drove from Chattanooga to Knoxville, I liked what I could see of the Athens Sweetwater area. Rolling hills down to the valley. Watershed and National Forest backing them to the east so you might avoid some of the problem of developers moving in and hewing down the mountains you came there to enjoy.

But referring to my previous post, I have been sick with acute bronchitis & perhaps pneumonia (depends upon which doc is treating me) since I came here (Knoxville) which I attribute to my lungs just not liking the air.

But my son, sister, and mother who live in Knoxville like it here and I am finding the Farragut area is a very convenient place. Also a lot of UT grads go off to professional school and come back to Knoxville so there are vets, doctors, and you name it everywhere. They just call it home.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:27 PM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Know that you have been doing a lot of research but note that the Kiplinger State by State guide to taxes has GA as a very tax friendly state. Whereas NC and TN are mixed. Then you add in the cost of living. I went shopping and the 9.5% sales tax caught my attention.

Many military retire in GA is why I mention it and property tax is reduced at 65.

That being said as I drove from Chattanooga to Knoxville, I liked what I could see of the Athens Sweetwater area. Rolling hills down to the valley. Watershed and National Forest backing them to the east so you might avoid some of the problem of developers moving in and hewing down the mountains you came there to enjoy.

But referring to my previous post, I have been sick with acute bronchitis & perhaps pneumonia (depends upon which doc is treating me) since I came here (Knoxville) which I attribute to my lungs just not liking the air.

But my son, sister, and mother who live in Knoxville like it here and I am finding the Farragut area is a very convenient place. Also a lot of UT grads go off to professional school and come back to Knoxville so there are vets, doctors, and you name it everywhere. They just call it home.
Sorry to hear about your lungs. Knoxville is/was high on.My list but my allergies are driving me crazy right now so will really have to research that. I've been miserable the last few days.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:48 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
thanks meo

just do a summertime visit of some duration and see. Your allergens might not be here and all could be well

Old 07-29-2015, 07:01 PM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times
I think that's the point though. I will pay attention to visit late spring/summer. If we didn't have this forum & share information, we might just blindly go into a situation unprepared. Me, because towards the end of winter I am just fed up, people in warm climates because of the heat. But our sharing is so beautiful. I won't be able to live in a climate that limits my outdoors due to allergies.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:04 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Here in Nevada, no state income tax, and no high property taxes either. I just paid my property taxes for next year, $350.40 total, on a $75k townhouse. It's up from last year's $320!

So what is Texas's big excuse?
Nevada rakes in megabucks from gaming, liquor, entertainment, hotel and other tourism taxes.
Nevada has 650000 children in public schools, Texas has 5 million. Nevada has 10% the population and 10% the highway miles of Texas.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:07 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
thanks meo

just do a summertime visit of some duration and see. Your allergens might not be here and all could be well
I had mild allergies which were very manageable in California, and then since I've been in Tennessee, I've been sick pretty much the entire 3 years I've been here. And don't think it's just the spring. It's year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement