Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 12:51 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times

Advertisements

I can think of a carload of things I'm too young for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 01:01 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I refuse to be TOO old for anything.
Me too.

The author of this essay meant to provide a positive 'spin' trying to achieve an 180 of the defeatish connotation of the statement "I am too old for ....". She did provide some upbeat ideas. However, as some of the responses in this thread had demonstrated, this phrase still precede statements which do not appear to reflect contentment or serenity less alone optimism or cheerfulness.

Too often, I have heard older folks using this phrase "I am too old for..." in the most negative ways. they are too old to change, to exercise, to improve their diet, to move to more suitable home/location, to learn anything new, to accept changes in the world, to get out of the rut in their life, to forgive, to reconcile etc.

I much rather read an essay on "I am NOT too old for...." or to hear others telling us what they are '"not too old for..." or "they are not old enough to".... like some of the great ideas expressed by Listener2307.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:35 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
My mother took care of 2 great grandchildren 5 days a week for many months. They stayed with her, she fed them, drove them to and from school which was miles away, did homework with them, made sure their hygiene was taken care, laundry for 2 active kids, took them to activities, took them shopping for school clothes, it goes on and on. She was 83-84 at the time. She did it to be with them and to make sure they were taken care of well, fed well etc., But after it was over she was exhausted and did say she clearly was too old to do it ever again.

I got it. My mother is a very healthy 85 yr old now and does most things for herself. So, yes, I think there are times when you realize, you are too old for some things.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:28 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well, I ask, why do it? Why live on a property that requires so much work? How many hours a day do you do something on your property that's just plain leisure, vs. how many hours to take care of it all. How much is the property used for something actually useful, like garden crops? I guess my point is, what's the point. Unless you love doing it, which I don't. I'd rather be taking a class or be in a group of people with a similar interest, or on a trip. I've had my "close relationship" with the earth and I am done. Almost.

I love and am fascinated by nature and see and feel every nuance of it. I love to see the creatures on my property, see them have their babies, etc. I love harvesting my garden, smelling summer when I open a home canned, can of tomatoes, etc. I love being able to have a fire pit, invite friends over to drink and listen to music and party until 3 or 4 in the morning. Myself, no, I do not want to be around people, even if they have my interests. I don't much like people and they make me terribly nervous. The satisfaction I gain from having and maintaining a large property is nice. I would shrivel up and die if I could not have my hands in the dirt and handle and care for animals.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:57 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I spent the last three days pulling weeds, pruning bushes, cutting grass. I'm almost 80 and have cut down to no more than 2 hours a day in the hot Sun. Sweat in my eyes and pain in my back tell me when it's time to go get a drink and take a shower.

But if we didn't do this sort of stuff, who else would do it?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Me too.

The author of this essay meant to provide a positive 'spin' trying to achieve an 180 of the defeatish connotation of the statement "I am too old for ....". She did provide some upbeat ideas. However, as some of the responses in this thread had demonstrated, this phrase still precede statements which do not appear to reflect contentment or serenity less alone optimism or cheerfulness.

Too often, I have heard older folks using this phrase "I am too old for..." in the most negative ways. they are too old to change, to exercise, to improve their diet, to move to more suitable home/location, to learn anything new, to accept changes in the world, to get out of the rut in their life, to forgive, to reconcile etc.

I much rather read an essay on "I am NOT too old for...." or to hear others telling us what they are '"not too old for..." or "they are not old enough to".... like some of the great ideas expressed by Listener2307.
My original post is above. My response to you Bella, is to say that I'm not too old to pull weeds, prune bushes and cut grass; obviously because I did/do it. Also, I'm not too old to realize that my body doesn't bounce back as quickly as it did when I was younger, but as long as I'm able to move it, I must not be too old.

Until this past year, I helped to care for two grandchildren. They were recently joined by a little brother and I helped by doing their laundry and helping to tidy their house to give their Mom a break.

If there was a good role going for an (ahem) "older woman", I'd be auditioning in a heartbeat.

And newenglandgirl, I do it because I can. When I can't, I won't.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I love and am fascinated by nature and see and feel every nuance of it. I love to see the creatures on my property, see them have their babies, etc. I love harvesting my garden, smelling summer when I open a home canned, can of tomatoes, etc. I love being able to have a fire pit, invite friends over to drink and listen to music and party until 3 or 4 in the morning. Myself, no, I do not want to be around people, even if they have my interests. I don't much like people and they make me terribly nervous. The satisfaction I gain from having and maintaining a large property is nice. I would shrivel up and die if I could not have my hands in the dirt and handle and care for animals.
I do envy you for this. I'm not into hands-on earth at all. I support permaculture and small-scale farming. DH grows a bit of wheat and rice out back. He loves all that but has little to no time for it right now. I'm all in my head, intellectual type pursuits that can be enriching but I'd rather be the outdoor type. Maybe next lifetime.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:49 PM

102 posts, read 106,216 times
I like the article and the attitude, but I'm older than she, and I'm still striving to improve and make the world a better place, and I've found that it's much easier to do it with other people. Yet, working with other people is different (dare I say more difficult) when you are old, because we do live in an agist society that judges people on their appearance.

I think I would be much more successful in my work if I lost weight and made a better appearance.

So I'm not quite as ready as she to give up and settle for sudoku and Mozart.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:31 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Most of the scenarios are questions of patience or willingness to do something, not an actual inability to complete.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:50 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
I'm too old (74) to get my teeth capped so when I smile it looks like a mouth full of chicklets.....My teeth are a lite tan or cream color...they work.....they don't hurt.....they do the job....however , everybody I see nowadays..(even most old folks) spend a fortune on having their teeth crowned or capped so they can look like a TV game show host....
I agree 100% !!! When you spend $20,000 or so to get your teeth fixed, the last thing you want is people asking if you have false teeth or you look like a horse. I had to have my teeth capped/repaired due to lots of breakage and cracking but I insisted my cosmetic dentist make my teeth dark as my natural ones. We argued and argued but it's my money. Even now, when I need a new cap, he tends to make it too white and I have to remind him it looks fake. So find a good cosmetic dentist and threaten him! If the teeth are too white, you won't pay.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:22 PM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times
I had to get false teeth & was disappointed they were not bright white. Now I understand why & am glad. They look natural for my age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement