Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 06:51 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times

Advertisements

Have you considered working with an elderly person as a companion/driver?

There are women living at home who would pay to have someone take them shopping or to the beauty shop or to lunch or just to spend a couple hours a week with them at their home playing cards and chatting.

I know someone who plans and cooks a nice evening meal (grocery shops once a week) and does a little light housekeeping (dishes, laundry, vacuuming -varies ) for three hours several times a week for an elderly couple. She is paid $75 for three hours of work.

I know another person who is paid $15 an hour and mostly just plays cards and listens to the woman talk and reminisce about the past (like a friend would listen to them).

Just one more potential job to consider.

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-21-2015 at 07:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 07:01 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I am leaning in that direction. Bless your sister!! Good for her.

I don't have work nice clothes.... especially for winter and don't want to run up another bill. So I'm going to try Walmart and Target. We have a well-liked grocery store... Wegman's. A pharmacy on the corner. Lots of places. Just need to get out there and apply myself.

Was going today but yesterday had some things burned off by the dermatologist (face and neck...pre-cancer) and right now it looks like I have a horrible disease. So need to let it clear up a bit.

Thank you Lost Roses.
Wow, hope your skin clears up fast! That's scary...pre-cancer.

What were you planning to apply for at Walmart and Target? Could you physically handle being a cashier? It's a lot tougher than people think it is, believe me, and hard on the body sometimes. I can see you working in softlines, maybe clothing or housewares. There's not a lot of heavy lifting in those depts.. Or how about crafts and fabrics? I know if you worked for Walmart you could work only 20 hours a week and make $180 week/$720 mo. to start. It doesn't sound like much but sure would help to pay your CC debt, right? And, yes, that would be gross and they would be taking out SS/Medicare again so less but still nothing to sneeze at for bill paying. Or ramp it up to however many hours you want. Walmart is very good about trying to work with your schedule. However...one word of advice...do NOT have "open availability". Give them concrete hours. Mine are 7 AM to 9 PM so I never have to get there earlier or stay later. AND I have the same two days in a row off every week. If you leave it open they'll schedule however they see fit. Let the 'kids' work those other hours/split days off. Good luck whatever you end up doing.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:08 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Have you considered working with an elderly person as a companion/driver?

There are women living at home who would pay to have someone take them shopping or to the beauty shop or to lunch or just to spend a couple hours a week with them at their home playing cards and chatting.

I know someone who plans and cooks a nice evening meal (grocery shops once a week) and does a little light housekeeping (dishes, laundry, vacuuming -varies ) for three hours several times a week for an elderly couple. She is paid $75 for three hours of work.

I know another person who is paid $15 an hour and mostly just plays cards and listens to someone (like a friend would listen to them).

Just one more potential job to consider.
That's a really good suggestion. I did in home health care for a couple of years but a few of my clients didn't need that. They did need someone to drive them around, take them shopping, to doctor's appointments, etc.. I wasn't allowed to do "light housekeeping" for the able ones because my company also had a housekeeping dept. they hired out. I did do those things for the medical clients though. I had one lady who hired me, without telling them, and I cleaned house for her once a week. She paid me well.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:09 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Retail is one place that likes to hire part timers. The pay can be low and the hours funky but they are more likely to hire older workers.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:40 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Thank you!! I am getting great ideas from all of you.

Re the companion/light housework: I did apply for something like that through a group but it turned out that some could have Alzheimer's. I'm not ready for changing adult diapers. Did it once for my sister and decided never again.

I am leaning toward Walmart. I think that monthly income would work out very well. I just transferred one of my card balances over for a 0% interest rate for 12 months (was paying 14.99%). If it works well, I have another card with a lot more $$ on it that I could transfer.

Retail is good idea johngolf. Tho there is always a but and the but here for me is that during holiday time the stores stay open till midnight (or all night) and I know I don't want to try that.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:52 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Retail can be difficult. I just recently worked at Target and it lasted 3 1/2 weeks. I was in the Hardlines Dept. I would push carts full of stock out to floor and stock the shelves. While I did that I would be called up to do the cash registers. Then I would have to answer calls coming into the store from customers. Doing all this while constantly asking customers if they needed help. It was a miserable experience.

I would have managers on me almost the entire shift, telling me to go faster or I wasn't meeting the work criteria. I finally told them, they could do the job themselves and I left. One of them actually had the gall to ask me how old I was, and that I was easily distracted. I told her I was 65 and I didn't really think, that was an appropriate question to ask someone. Most of the people In the store were under 35. I don't think I will ever be able to get myself to go in another Target store. I had heard before that Target is quick to eliminate certain people from being hired. I would tend to agree.

There isn't a lot out there for the older worker. If you find something really it is luck, or you know someone that has a job and can get you in.

My experience at Target is probably common for many people that work there. It has a tremendous turnover. I think there are other retail stores that may be more appropriate for older workers. Grocery Stores, Lowes, TJ Max seems to hire older workers. Walmart also, if you can stand working there. I think very quickly though as with many older workers. You end up taking what you can get, rather than working in a job that you choose.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
If retail... consider Costco, Lowe's, or Home Depot (they are better employers than Walmart).

Retail is not the easiest gig in town, look to a customer service / phone service position. (where you can sit down a few minutes every hour.)

Definitely look into the home healthcare / hospice industry.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:28 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
I have a friend who is about 1 or 2 years younger than me who has worked at Target part time for several years. She prefers the 6 p.m. till close shift. Never hear her complain about anything other than some of the customers she encounters. When I have been shopping in there, I have noticed that some of the cashiers/clerks look like they don't put much into their jobs.

I am sorry for your awful experience there.

We recently had a Costco open but it's a distance and don't want that hassle in winter. There is a Home Depot and a Lowe's not far from where I live.

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:35 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Retail is one place that likes to hire part timers. The pay can be low and the hours funky but they are more likely to hire older workers.
True. I worked in a high-end department store for several years when I was in my late fifties and there were people there older than myself. The problem with that work is, there are no more stock workers in most department stores. Where I worked, there were Teamster employees on the dock to unload the delivery trucks that came in. Then those employees hauled the sealed boxes to the specific department where the goods would be sold.

From that point on, it was the responsibility of the so-called "clerks" to open and unload the boxes, carrying the merchandise to stock rooms or placing them on floor displays as needed. That can be VERY hard work. In the stockrooms I was up and down a ladder, often shelving items like boxes of dishes, small appliances, heavy loads of towels and sheets, etc. I dislocated my shoulder while working there and later I sprained my ankle. Those injuries were par for the course among my fellow employees. Someone was always trussed up in Ace bandages or on crutches.

We had to do that work in the early morning hours before the customers came in and it was covered by the same hourly pay we earned for ringing up customer purchases behind a cash register. We also had to vacuum the carpets, dust shelves, clean dressing rooms, and replace items customers had moved at the end of our shifts before we closed the cash registers for the night. Say "retail cashier" to someone and they do NOT picture what is the reality for many retail workers. For stores that are open long hours, retail employees work shifts that can be unreal at holiday time. Try getting home after midnight on a Friday when you have to be at work at 6 a.m. on Saturday so you can open at 8 a.m. to accommodate Christmas shoppers.

I don't know if it's like that for Target, Walmart, or other big-box employees, but it's common for people who work, even part time, at places like Macy's, Dillard's, etc.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:51 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Receptionist would be easy. Those jobs are hard to find, esp. ones where they aren't looking for a "babe" as the face of the company. But I've seen some older receptionists over the years.

You can sign on to be a temporary worker doing clerical or other type of work. It's hard to budget, since the work isn't guaranteed, and the pay fluctuates. It's also difficult because the environment changes (the place, the office, free beverages or not, where to park), and sometimes temps aren't treated very well. Other times, it's a great gig, esp if you get a long term gig, like filling in for someone on vacation or on medical leave. You can sign up with several agencies at a time.

Administrative or clerical jobs exist, even seasonal. UPS hires some at Christmas to help with all the paperwork for Christmas deliveries.

Pet care businesses. There are pet care places that go into people's homes to feed and water their pets, let them outside if they're dogs, change the litter box, etc. They have to get bonded, I think. Requires traveling in your own car to the places. It's easy and no one would care about your age at all, I would think.

None of these jobs will pay much, but will give you a few extra dollars for fun stuff. Don't forget about the expense to work, though. Gas, wear and tear on your car, parking fees, maybe having to buy lunch when you'd normally be eating at home for pennies.

I'm going to look for a part time job, too, next year. I've been working temp last year and this year. I work in the legal field, so I have a specific set of skills that are needed sometimes. I don't like doing the temp work, but the pay comes in handy, and I make the best of it. It's not horrible, and there is always something positive about each job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement