Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 07:40 AM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I wish I had been smarter in choosing a husband.
Yes me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Oh I made mistakes. I did what other people wanted me to do. That is not unfolding.
Yes me too

so what i would do differently is trust and follow what is good for me, not what other people decide for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 07:51 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Anything I would have done differently would mean that I would not end up with the life I have now. I have made many "mistakes" But I am content with the result.

As the saying goes, my life didn't turn out as I planned. And that's OK.
I'm with you on that. One change and I would not have met DW. That would mean I'd be rich and miserable instead of just miserable! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
This is too easy. Very early in my career, back in the early 80s, I was working on a CP/M microcomputer and doing things down at the system level to make it support multiple users on terminals at the same time. Caused all sorts of trouble with the compiler I was using but the vendor was happy to work with me because they wanted their compiler to support multiple threads. One day they called and said they were working on an operating system for a large client (but they couldn't say who) and they needed system level microcomputer programmers. I lived in Atlanta at the time and they wanted me to interview, and if accepted work, in Seattle. Yes, that's right. I turned down a chance to work on MS DOS at Microsoft. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

OTOH, I think there is truth to the old adage - "If things were different, they wouldn't be the same.". It is sort of a joke, but sort of not. One little change could result in a domino effect.
First RTB OUCH! That one choice is tough to look back on.

As a kid I was very good at hockey and baseball. Good enough to possibly played at least semi pro. I was very athletic. But as I said above I would never have met DW had I not taken a wrong path and joined the army at the insistence of a local judge in court.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:11 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
First RTB OUCH! That one choice is tough to look back on.

As a kid I was very good at hockey and baseball. Good enough to possibly played at least semi pro. I was very athletic. But as I said above I would never have met DW had I not taken a wrong path and joined the army at the insistence of a local judge in court.
But you never know what else happens. My headstone might read "Stepped in front of SeaTac shuttle, 1982".

Old 09-04-2015, 08:16 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
I would have never done the things I did that now when I think of them I shake my head and mumble to myself "why on earth did I do that?"

Oh well, can't turn the clock back. I'm going fishing.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:19 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Should have listened to my parents when I was a teen. They actually are smarter than their kids.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:38 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Should have listened to my parents when I was a teen. They actually are smarter than their kids.
I think I would have liked and benefitted greatly from that but my father, a truly brilliant man, never said anything (he grew up without a father) and my mother deferred to him although through her I received instructions in the social graces - mandatory for the son of a career Marine Corps officer - for which I'm thankful, but that was it.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:09 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,824 times
Just like everybody else, I have many regrets in my life for the things which I did, for the things which I did not do etc. Luckily, these regrets have been relatively small. I have benefited from learning my past mistakes and can say with certitude that I have become a happier, more contented and a better person as I get older.

Looking back at some of the more serious regrets, I don't think that anyone of them was life altering decision or indecision. Furthermore, if I could have gone back in time to the exact moment that the decision was made and with all the hindsight knowledge erased from my mind, I am certain that I would have made the exact same decision. All decisions, actions in life are made by one's mind which was influenced by one's heart. At the moment the decision/action was made, it was the best that one could do.

I live for the moment and plan for future. I don't live with regrets but try not to forget them either. They are part of my bag of life experience, knowledge and wisdom where I constantly draw from to help with today's actions, decisions and future plans.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:23 PM

197 posts, read 209,015 times
In the late 1970s a bright yellow Corvette in pristine shape, just a few years old, was parked in front of my FIL's farm in Vermont. It was being sold for $10,000. (My FIL was helping one of his relatives by letting him park it there.) I thought to myself, "That is a fantastic deal! I should just buy it."

Like I always do, I thought about it for a few days before returning to the scene of the purchase. Of course, the beautiful car was long gone.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
You mean which one of my ex-wives I shouldn't have married?

The honest truth is that I wouldn't do anything over, because I'm perfectly contented and at peace with myself where I wound up. I wouldn't want anything to have started down a different track anywhere along the way, who knows where it would have ended up.

So my main regrets are things that might have harmed someone else's life, without afffecting my own. There have probably been lots of those, but it is better not to dwell on them. Just try not to do any more damage.

No, wait. I should have taken that Mickey Mantle rookie card to college with me, so my mom couldn't take it to the church rummage sale. And Willie Mays.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:00 PM

284 posts, read 362,472 times
I regret not having accepted myself as the unique and wonderful human being (what we all are) at a much earlier age. From that one aspect came some of my poor choices, including my ex-husband. Insecurities kept me from exploring talents and interests I had, because I think I saw them as things I'd be judged by, not things I did for the shear joy of doing them. I was a "pleaser" and played things pretty safe. In my "older" years, I've come to accept who I am and have come to the conclusion that I'm really OK. Looking in the rear view mirror has helped me understand myself better and allowed me to grow into a much healthier and happier person, just wish I'd discovered that a decade or two earlier. Anyway life is GOOD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement