Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 04:26 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...a-budget-deal/

Quote:
Leaders are expected to soon present details of the deal — it is expected to include equal increases in both domestic and military spending and would prevent a premium increase for Medicare Part B recipients from going into effect — to members over the coming days, setting up a very tight time frame to build support for the plan before Congress will be required to vote on debt limit increase. The Treasury Department says the debt limit will be hit by Nov. 3.

The deal would include about $80 billion more in spending over two years, which would be offset by savings from changes to the Social Security Disability Insurance fund and Medicare payments to doctors and other health care providers.

Aides said the deal also would likely include new rules for the Social Security Disability Insurance fund, which is expected to run out of funds by the end of 2016. Discussions have also included maintaining a 2 percent cut to Medicare provider payments that were included in the 2011 Budget Control Act, also known as the sequester. Those cuts could be problematic for Democrats who have insisted that there be no changes to Medicare or Social Security in a budget deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 06:20 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,300,442 times
I was finally declared disabled last October, at age 61. I'm now 62 so can technically apply for SS. Should I just be watching this or should I plan on applying for regular SS?

Old 10-26-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I was finally declared disabled last October, at age 61. I'm now 62 so can technically apply for SS. Should I just be watching this or should I plan on applying for regular SS?
This is evidently a proposed bipartisan budget deal which would be voted on this week

Old 10-26-2015, 09:42 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
This is evidently a proposed bipartisan budget deal which would be voted on this week
Without support from Paul Ryan, it doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

Quote:
A pilot version of that program has been in effect in several states and has been shown to reduce the number of applicants approved, lowering the cost of the program. Other savings would come from so-called “good governance” changes that are intended weed out waste and fraud.
Not seeing it happen.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:19 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
I read a little bit about it, but none of it was attributed. It involved longer waiting periods to receive benefits, more stringent requirements to qualify and an increased effort on getting SSDI recipients to return to work. The article I read said medicare cuts would involve 'changes in payments to providers' which would really suck, if they keep that up people on medicare will be in as bad a position as medicaid patients when it comes to finding doctors.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:21 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
whether or not you need the money should be the deciding factor on whether or not you apply, and even though a doctor declares you disabled, SS will likely require additional medical opinions.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Without support from Paul Ryan, it doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

Not seeing it happen.
Have you read the news today?

Old 10-27-2015, 10:04 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,022,876 times
Sneaky, sneaky. It *appears the agreement closes the "unintended loophole", of "file and suspend". If you're already 62 or will turn 62 this year, the file and suspend option remains.

http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/...PIH-BUDGET.pdf

A portion of the retirement contributions will be redirected to the disability fund for three years.

Meo, you're o.k., unless you decide to return to work. The additional income would definitely not be worth the hassle. Regardless, you absolutely DO NOT want to "switch" from disability to early retirement benefits because you would take a hit of 25% +/- hit to your benefits.

* The draft is 144 pages long and does not include the original regulations for direct comparison. It'll take a while before the Social Security and Medicare gurus sort it all out.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:12 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,022,876 times
Default Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Sneaky, sneaky. It *appears the agreement closes the "unintended loophole", of "file and suspend". If you're already 62 or will turn 62 this year, the file and suspend option remains.

http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/...PIH-BUDGET.pdf

<snip>

* The draft is 144 pages long and does not include the original regulations for direct comparison. It'll take a while before the Social Security and Medicare gurus sort it all out.
Well, shoot. It looks like the file and suspend applies to "benefits payable beginning six months after enactment". The 62 year cutoff I cited above applies to the other provisions, i.e. dual entitlement and deemed filing.

http://docs.house.gov/meetings/RU/RU...-RU00-D001.pdf

I guess this is worthy of a new thread. I'll start one.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:55 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
These "file and suspend" schemes, er.....strategies...should have gotten the kibosh long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement