Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 09:25 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times

Advertisements

ACA subsidies are based on MAGI. A technique to get a subsidy is owning rental property as the depreciation on those properties comes off the income but it is not an expense, you still get the money to use. You may have to recapture the income when you sell but not the subsidy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 09:36 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Going off the subject a bit here. I will admit I never studied BASIC LAWS OF PERSONAL FINANCE so it is likely I am wrong and just managed to stumble my way to prosperity but I will comment nonetheless
  1. LIVE BELOW YOUR MEANS
    Sure, this is agreed by everyone.

2. Save 10% of your income EVERY YEAR, no matter what.
    It really is an extension of #1, live below your means generally means you are saving the rest. I suppose if you didn't clarify it, one could throw the excess away. And 10% is arbitrary anyway. Could be more. But if 10% is important to you, Rule#1 could be, "live 10% below your means".

3. Never finance a DEPRECIATING ASSET (cars etc...)
    This is clearly wrong. Financing should be decoupled from purchasing. Purchasing decisions should be made on the value they provide. Financing decisions should be made on the value of your money to pay for it vs. the cost of someone else's money to pay for it. Basically, can you earn more with your money invested than the finance charge?

If you have ample money and you wish to buy a car for $30,000. The dealership is offering you 1% financing and you are getting 5% on your $30,000, maybe you wish to finance to take advantage of the arbitrage.

People do overextend themselves by financing above their means. That is different.
I agree with you about #3 and would even go a step further and say it is better to finance a purchase you know you can pay off without reducing what you put away for retirement than to divert money you would have saved to avoid the debt. Also, your example of a car is a good one because that is a purchase you likely need and you can compute the payment+insurance+gas as a budget item. If you buy new or late model used you can typically get maintenance included and repairs warrantied to make it a fixed expense.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:38 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Part of my wife's early retirement package (at age 62) from a state government was health care until age 65 (Medicare) for the both of us then they became the supplemental plan.

So the answer is money and benefits help for an early retirement.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:00 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Part of my wife's early retirement package (at age 62) from a state government was health care until age 65 (Medicare) for the both of us then they became the supplemental plan.

So the answer is money and benefits help for an early retirement.

I did the same (me and my wife) and the state government had a formula to get rid of us "dead wood" so we retired and took health plan and benefits with the pension in our 50s and then worked part-time as we chose. She was a p-t librarian and I was a p-t city planner. Didn't need the additional benefits so employers were eager to hire us part-time. I retired in 2000 then worked p-t seven years in an enjoyable job.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:53 AM

951 posts, read 1,452,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I did the same (me and my wife) and the state government had a formula to get rid of us "dead wood" so we retired and took health plan and benefits with the pension in our 50s and then worked part-time as we chose. She was a p-t librarian and I was a p-t city planner. Didn't need the additional benefits so employers were eager to hire us part-time. I retired in 2000 then worked p-t seven years in an enjoyable job.
Never heard of a part time job paying benefits

Never in my entire life of 45 years

Old 11-06-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post

Really? Ever heard of Starbucks, UPS, REI, Whole Foods, CostCo, Lowes, Staples, U-Haul... Lots of employers offer benefits to part time employees.

Even the small company I work for offers benefits to its few part time employees.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:06 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Really? Ever heard of Starbucks, UPS, REI, Whole Foods, CostCo, Lowes, Staples, U-Haul... Lots of employers offer benefits to part time employees.

Even the small company I work for offers benefits to its few part time employees.
And that is a small portion of the list of employers that give benefits to part time employees.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:

really?

As previously mentioned
Part Time Jobs That Offer Benefits
11 Best Part-Time Jobs With Health Insurance Benefits
Best Part-Time Jobs with Benefits for 2015 - Updated for Obamacare

Costco and Starbucks are the popular ones.

Many others besides listed above.

Work nights for more money, less commute time, no bosses, no phones / customers, and grearer caregiving flexibility, (I did 28 yrs of my 32 yr caregiver stint working nights). Worked great.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:26 AM

Giving MisterNo the benefit of a doubt, at a lot of companies part time employees are temporary; it isn't always a corporation trying to screw the little guy (though it sometimes is). Many companies don't even have part time jobs. So some people really are unaware of it.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:33 PM

951 posts, read 1,452,647 times
woow

So you work for say 20 hours a week and they give you health benefits?

Sooo unamerican

I must be living in a cave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement