Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 08:34 AM

32 posts, read 35,638 times

Advertisements

I've never liked cooking, although in my forties and into my fifties, I did a fair amount of cooking, as we did a lot of informal entertaining. also, I think having people over for a meal was more the typical way of entertaining in those years.

since I've been on my own, I put meals together rather than cook, with a lot of "ready to prepare, heat up" meals, and I do go out about three times a month. if I go out to lunch, that becomes the major meal of the day- no dinner. I also do take-out. when the S.O. is spending time here, I cook more- stews, casseroles, etc. but I can't say I enjoy doing it, and have never missed cooking.

whereas my husband used to like to eat out, the S.O.has numerous dietary considerations, which makes going out more difficult. i'd love to go out more.

tolly/catsy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 09:05 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Never eat out. Maybe once a month a burger when on a shopping trip. Mostly just to observe people.

Maybe twice a month, when I walk to the supermarket, lunch will be a pint of ice cream while sitting under a tree in the parking lot before I walk home. To me, that's "eating out", and it doesn't get any better than that.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:41 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
But now its all contests or something else. Haven't watched them in years.
I don't watch cooking shows but I often do youtube searches for dishes and sometimes the popular TV cooks pop up. Cooking is more about technique than recipes, and videos really capture technique. Even if I've cooked a dish for years (like Guinness stew, cheese grits), I still learn from watching others prepare it.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:49 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
We do both. But to answer the question, yes, we eat out more now.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:51 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I don't watch cooking shows but I often do youtube searches for dishes and sometimes the popular TV cooks pop up. Cooking is more about technique than recipes, and videos really capture technique. Even if I've cooked a dish for years (like Guinness stew, cheese grits), I still learn from watching others prepare it.
Agree. I love English muffins and I learned how to make them by following a YouTube video. They came out so good! And easy too

Old 11-08-2015, 11:55 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Some weeks we eat out more, some weeks we cook more. It just depends on what's going on.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:44 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
We ate out more frequently when we were younger and our metabolism was faster. It's a high priority with both of us to keep our weight stable for health reasons.

About ten years ago DH requested that we not plan our entertainment around a meal so often. Occasionally we'll make a day of traveling somewhere just to try out a new restaurant.

I do more lunches with friends than I used to. Usually I end up bringing home enough for his evening meal.

DH has become more of a "grazer" in his eating style so I don't cook as much as I used to. Usually I have a salad and a vegetable dish in the fridge along with sandwich meats and cheeses. Sometimes there's a casserole or soup. Always healthy snacks and some unhealthy snacks. Every two or three weeks I'll do a complete sit-down meal.

I've used my retirement years to refine my dessert skills and had a large bucket list of things I'd never tried so we usually have a pie, bars or something more elaborate around for a treat.

To my chagrin I have difficulty with buying prepared foods as I am tired of cooking. We both prefer my own recipes and I don't care for the taste of the preservatives in the food. It would be so much easier but then all those years of making ends meet have become a habit and I always remind myself that I can make something for less money that tastes better. So I save my cooking days for when I really feel like it.

You can't cook a good meal just grinding it out because you have to. There's gotta be a little love involved.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:42 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
Where we live here on the Big Island, the nearest fast food (McD's) is 50 miles away. We do have a couple of small local restaurants about 4 miles away. Before we moved here we ate dinner out twice a week (on average) and lunch 3 or 4 times. Now we eat lunch out maybe once a week when we are "in town". Almost never have dinner out.

But this is due to geography. Not a function of retirement. When we move back to civilization we will go back to the old approach.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:47 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Some weeks we eat out more, some weeks we cook more. It just depends on what's going on.
^^Same here. We have 2 local mom and pop cafes nearby that make their own stuff and we try to eat there 3-5 times a week, Sometimes lunch, sometimes dinner, and occasionally a breakfast. And we always get more than enough to eat to bring home a 2nd meal out of it. A lot cheaper for 2 than doing it yourself.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:20 AM

896 posts, read 1,140,526 times
No, we do not eat out more. Since DH retired he does the majority of the cooking. Generally, we prefer our own cooking. We do sometimes(1-2 times per month) eat out with various (senior)groups we are members of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement