Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 04:02 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times

Advertisements

Hopefully this won't get deleted.

I called TIAA back and got a different person. Would not let him BS me. Finally he said the starting rate (currently 6.18%) for lifetime income is guaranteed. NOT just 2.5%, which is what this guy and the one I spoke to earlier told me. Furthermore, the rate can increase, although it can't decrease.

Supposedly I will get a letter saying this in a couple of weeks.

I think maybe they will BS anyone who does not get angry.

Please don't delete, this is important information for any retiree who has or might get a TIAA account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 04:55 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,816,733 times
o.k.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:02 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
It seems like your anger has gotten in the way of clarity. Or at least I am confused and cannot understand what information you are trying to convey.

The TIAA traditional and annuity payout options can be confusing. In addition, TIAA has guarantees on accrual interest during the accumulation phase. I would recommend having a sit down meeting with an advisor to review the details.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:10 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Glad you got some satisfaction. As with most telephone support, (or as Clark Howard says, "customer no-service"), the competency of the person on the other line vary greatly. It is often worthwhile to call back at a different time and hopefully speak to a different person.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
It seems like your anger has gotten in the way of clarity. Or at least I am confused and cannot understand what information you are trying to convey.

The TIAA traditional and annuity payout options can be confusing. In addition, TIAA has guarantees on accrual interest during the accumulation phase. I would recommend having a sit down meeting with an advisor to review the details.
The website said the initial payout rate if I started in January 2017 would be 6.18%, or $572/month. I asked if that is a lifetime guaranteed payout rate, and the first guy said no, only 2.5% is guaranteed, and the rest is added on. He said the added on amount can change every year, and is voted on by the board of trustees.

The guaranteed interest on the TIAA traditional account is 3%. But the guaranteed payout once you start getting monthly payments is only 2.5%, according to the first guy.

I explained the whole thing to the second guy, and he said the 6.18% rate is guaranteed for life. Then I told him what the first guy said, and he went and asked someone, and came back and agreed with the first guy.

I explained to him, over and over and over, that the website says $572 is a fixed monthly payout. What could "fixed" possibly mean if it is not fixed??

He kept repeating that only 2.5% is guaranteed. I think he thought 2.5% would be $572/month, even though I told him over and over it is much less.

He told me to get a calculator and multiply $111k (approx) by .0618, and sure enough it's $572. I told him yes of course I know, and I explained to him again that 2.5% would be much lower.

I asked to speak to a supervisor. He went and looked but couldn't find one.

However, by that time he had decided that I would get $572/month guaranteed for life. I asked why he changed his mind, but he could not explain.

I asked for a signed letter, and he promised to send one.

I forgot to ask his name, can't believe I was that stupid.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:25 PM

So as to give some background on this thread, I posted earlier today in a new thread explaining in depth my dissatisfaction about some telephone support I received from TIAA. I was upset at the time and wrote my post in such a manner that it was against the TOS.

I am trying to be calmer now and just state what happened.

Hopefully, I got better results from the second representative I spoke with today. Boy, what an ordeal though! Fortunately I am retired and can afford to waste hours of time with phone reps! (But I would rather not waste all that time anyway).

Old 07-21-2016, 05:29 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
> The website said the initial payout rate if I started in January 2017 would be 6.18%, or $572/month. I asked if that is a lifetime guaranteed payout rate, and the first guy said no, only 2.5% is guaranteed, and the rest is added on.

I think you were confused, or maybe he got confused. I suspect both numbers were right.

2.5% sounds like a correct number for the guaranteed growth rate for a balance that has not been annuitized yet. That guaranteed rate depends on when the money was deposited (TIAA talks about "vintages".). TIAA may declare additional dividends but the vintage rate is guaranteed.

6.2% sounds like a plausible number for a lifetime annuity for a person around 65 years old. If you choose to take your funds as a lifetime annuity the payout rate is guaranteed for life.

Asking and answering questions can be a bit of an art, and maybe one or the other person was not good at it.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:43 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,083,094 times
Telephone promises and explanations are worth absolutely nothing. They have zero legal culpability, and even a "signed letter" means nothing. Signed by whom? A contract is all that matters. I'll believe it when I see the contract, where an insurance company will pay a guaranteed minimum of 6.18% today (that only goes up, and not down) a year for life for an annuity.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:10 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
So as to give some background on this thread, I posted earlier today in a new thread explaining in depth my dissatisfaction about some telephone support I received from TIAA. I was upset at the time and wrote my post in such a manner that it was against the TOS.

I am trying to be calmer now and just state what happened.

Hopefully, I got better results from the second representative I spoke with today. Boy, what an ordeal though! Fortunately I am retired and can afford to waste hours of time with phone reps! (But I would rather not waste all that time anyway).
Try reading the wealth of investment books that are available while on hold. Might make you hang up.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:47 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Telephone promises and explanations are worth absolutely nothing. They have zero legal culpability, and even a "signed letter" means nothing. Signed by whom? A contract is all that matters. I'll believe it when I see the contract, where an insurance company will pay a guaranteed minimum of 6.18% today (that only goes up, and not down) a year for life for an annuity.
The 6.18% is the rate of withdrawal, not interest. When I annuitized $10,000 of my TIAA account back in 2008 my rate of withdrawal was about 7.1%. It has since increased to 7.44 %.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement