Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 07:27 PM

893 posts, read 886,268 times

Advertisements

What are peoples thoughts on this?

I obviously realize that a lot of this depends on how much one has saved already and to what level would you reduce your future retirement savings in order to travel but I'd like to hear what people think about this.

I think we've all seen the people who work their butts off all their life so they can get to retirement only to die shortly after or get sick or in poor health and not be able enjoy their later years like they planned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 07:36 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
If you have in excess of 2.5 m go ahead, otherwise you better stay home.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:38 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
Put at least 5% back in a IRA, 401K. Pay off your debt, starting with credit cards. Once they are paid off, only charge what you can pay off in 3 months or less. If you have a house payment accelerate it by adding 1/10th of the payment to the principle. That will cut 12 years off of a 30 year mortgage. When you have 6 months cushion in savings, not counting your IRA or 401K, then consider travel.

The key is to get to a cash situation instead of a debtor situation. You get there, then you can travel, knowing you are not adding to your debt, but able to pay for it cash, and you will feel much better when you travel.

Tis may mean delaying your significant travel plans for a few years, but it will be worth it in the end.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:50 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,598 times
There was a recent discussion on best time to travel:

Are you going to wait until you retire to travel?

My vote was to travel after retirement because my job makes it difficult to take time off.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:35 PM

893 posts, read 886,268 times
just to clarify, I'm not necessarily talking about myself on this just discussion.

However, regarding my situation I am self employed and extremely flexible in when and how long I can be gone. My wife has a great employer and can come and go pretty well but not as flexible as me.

we are mid 40's

I have no debt other than my house but have a good amount of equity and am on schedule to pay off the house by late 50's but think I will be able to do so earlier.

I do have a $1,500 pension coming at 65 for a previous job.

My thoughts on the subject are that I USED to think "wait until retirement". I am now more willing to go ahead and enjoy life a bit more now. I don't mean go crazy on lifestyle, I'm talking 1 good exotic vacation per year and another vacation each year that isn't near as costly. Most likely within the US.

I do feel confident in my saving ability and other investments that I'll be fine but I probably worry more than most people about these things....I just have got to the point where I want to experience the world while I still can.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:39 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
We traveled during our work life. It was a good thing since my knees made it more difficult as we got to 60. (now exercising and have taken care of that problem.)

Benefits: We got to take wooden train cars in England in the early 80s. Got to see Egypt in 95 in a quiet period. Got to see India before the massive changes. In fact, we spent the whole short Gulf War I in India. Traveled all over Europe at various times.

Note: We balanced life, debt, travel, etc. Did not do overseas more than once every 4 or 5 years. Saved our money and traveled cheap. Hardest part was saving up enough leave and convincing boss. So glad we did it because the world is changing so fast.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:29 AM

863 posts, read 795,945 times
My father was forced to early retirement due to cancer at 62, he was gone by 66. My MIL and FIL where both so ill by the time they retired that the only travel they got to do was back and forth to the hospital and doctors. Both of them were gone by 70.

The average 70+ person is not traveling all over the world, are there exceptions, of course, but that is not the average. I know that I need 3-5 million in the bank, so that I can sit at home and watch it grow..sarcasm.

Plan for the future, but live life now.. None of us knows what tomorrow brings,

Old 01-27-2014, 05:55 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,592 times
My $0.002 opinion:
IF - and that is a big IF, one has a solid financial plan going forward, currently has significant (using a mid-40s life point) savings/investments/reserves, etc. - then go for it now! Travel, especially to the more exotic locales, can be physically demanding and its common sense to do your rambling as early as one can.

As one ages and the typical physical afflictions thereof arise, your choices of travel adventures will shrink accordingly. Climbing a pyramid is not for the weak kneed, bad hip or short of breath types. More than a few stellar attractions around our planet require a serious degree of physical fitness to experience (and many remote places don't have elevators ) - hence my advice - sooner is better, much better.

NOTE: I am and always have been a fanatic about financial security. In my life, that always has been my first priority. However, if one has the disposable income available (after all the reductions to assure $$$ security) then I advise traveling as young as possible. JMHO

Old 01-27-2014, 06:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I got my traveling out of my system during my working career.
I'm quite content to just travel locally now in retirement.
A 6 hour drive down to the Texas coast for a long weekend/week is just fine by me now.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Dont waste money and definitely hold back on monies you need to live on but if there are things in life you want to do by all means spend the monies to do those things while you still have the health to do them or you'll wake up one day in old age wishing you'd done this or that.
IMO life is about experience and not about how much money you die with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement