Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 09:23 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times

Advertisements

A day in the life of a retiree....

We are sleeping in separate bedrooms these days. But it's only because she suffers from allergies and snores.
I got up around 8 AM. Made some coffee, put a hard boiled egg on. While I was waiting, I did the daily Sudoku - it's Tuesday, so it was fairly easy. I've really gotten pretty good; it's been about 2 weeks since I saw one I couldn't work out.

At 9 I woke Her up with a back rub. She likes that.

Stock market started off flat and I could see that I didn't need to trade today. I got other things to do, anyway.
So I read the news online, caught up with city-data, and at 10AM went out back with the dog. We sat in the sun. He ignored the 2 Brown Thrashers who chucked at him. They evidently think he is a cat, and their nest is nearby.
The male bluebird has found his reflection in a mirror I hung on the fence. He keeps attacking himself. This happened to a Towhee a couple of years back and he hurt himself, so I covered the mirror with a sheet until after breeding season to keep it from happening to Mr Bluebird.

I hadn't walked in a couple of days because we have had company, so I decided it was a good time for a complete warm-up and 2 mile walk. From beginning to end, it takes about an hour and I finished around 11:30. It felt good and I pushed the pace along, but I don't run. Just walk.

At noon the fun really began. I am replacing the air conditioning compressor on my old truck, so I changed into my work clothes and dug in. I like to listen to classical guitar music while I work, so I cranked up the music and took my time.
It didn't take long and when I finished I still had plenty of energy. Rain is forecast for tomorrow, so I thought it would be a good time to mow the back yard. It didn't really need it, but there is that rain coming.....

I was still mowing when She came home from her errands. We worked in the yard until about 5. Then we sat on the back porch in the shade and shared a Diet Coke. Talked a little about the trip to Key West that is coming up.

Time for the news!...............Bah! Nothing but election reports. I've lost interest, and I know who I am voting for. Doesn't seem like there is anything to report that I haven't already heard, so I switched over to watch the channel where they fix up old cars. But really it was just a ritual that passes the time until supper.

Stir Fry! Great! We call it "bowl food", and it goes great with Braves baseball, which happens at 6PM. We watched for a while, but Boston is really working Atlanta over. After 6 innings we turned to Netflix to watch "Dexter".
There are 96 episodes of Dexter; we have watched about 15, and it's a great story. That's how we do it. We grab hold of something to watch and then watch the whole series.

10PM. Taps.

So that's a day in the life of a retiree.
What did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 07:28 AM

121 posts, read 89,181 times
I like the pace of your day and the sense that you are happy with your life that comes through the piece. My day was similar if you swap a gym session for the walk and a frustrating session practicing watercolour painting for the mechanicing.
Our day always starts with me making coffee so the Bride can have first cup in bed. Been that way for over 30 years so not a habit that is going to change. I still am yet to a meet a couple where the roles are reversed so I now wonder if it ia law of nature or in wives rule book.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:30 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWA View Post
I like the pace of your day and the sense that you are happy with your life that comes through the piece. My day was similar if you swap a gym session for the walk and a frustrating session practicing watercolour painting for the mechanicing.
Our day always starts with me making coffee so the Bride can have first cup in bed. Been that way for over 30 years so not a habit that is going to change. I still am yet to a meet a couple where the roles are reversed so I now wonder if it ia law of nature or in wives rule book.
We haven't reversed roles, exactly. I mean, I still fix the cars and wash them and do all the yard work, and fix things, and all that sort of stuff.

But I don't cook. Notice in my post I just sort of sit around waiting to be fed.
But there is a trade off. When She gets through cooking dinner, She just walks off. I clean all the dishes, clean the kitchen and make it all ready to begin the next day, and in addition I do all the grocery shopping. She hated both chores and I'm kind of a neatnick, so I don't mind doing them.
And as you can tell, I like life best when it is sort of a steady jog.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:51 PM

15,972 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Decided I don't want to go on that field trip with my bird club in the cold morning. I was tired and wanted to sleep in. I slept till 8 and DH had gone to the gym after making coffee and unloading the dishwasher. No newspaper on weekend so I took my coffee to sit by the sunny window and started the new novel by Jonathan Franzen. Read 70 pages, tidied up the kitchen, made the bed, dressed, answered email, made plans for the Sunday morning bird trip, ate lunch, did the laundry. In the evening we attended a concert and met friends, came home and watched the Press Club dinner on TV. Lovely day.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:30 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
A day in the life of a retiree....

We are sleeping in separate bedrooms these days. But it's only because she suffers from allergies and snores.
I got up around 8 AM. Made some coffee, put a hard boiled egg on. While I was waiting, I did the daily Sudoku - it's Tuesday, so it was fairly easy. I've really gotten pretty good; it's been about 2 weeks since I saw one I couldn't work out.

At 9 I woke Her up with a back rub. She likes that.

Stock market started off flat and I could see that I didn't need to trade today. I got other things to do, anyway.
So I read the news online, caught up with city-data, and at 10AM went out back with the dog. We sat in the sun. He ignored the 2 Brown Thrashers who chucked at him. They evidently think he is a cat, and their nest is nearby.
The male bluebird has found his reflection in a mirror I hung on the fence. He keeps attacking himself. This happened to a Towhee a couple of years back and he hurt himself, so I covered the mirror with a sheet until after breeding season to keep it from happening to Mr Bluebird.

I hadn't walked in a couple of days because we have had company, so I decided it was a good time for a complete warm-up and 2 mile walk. From beginning to end, it takes about an hour and I finished around 11:30. It felt good and I pushed the pace along, but I don't run. Just walk.

At noon the fun really began. I am replacing the air conditioning compressor on my old truck, so I changed into my work clothes and dug in. I like to listen to classical guitar music while I work, so I cranked up the music and took my time.
It didn't take long and when I finished I still had plenty of energy. Rain is forecast for tomorrow, so I thought it would be a good time to mow the back yard. It didn't really need it, but there is that rain coming.....

I was still mowing when She came home from her errands. We worked in the yard until about 5. Then we sat on the back porch in the shade and shared a Diet Coke. Talked a little about the trip to Key West that is coming up.

Time for the news!...............Bah! Nothing but election reports. I've lost interest, and I know who I am voting for. Doesn't seem like there is anything to report that I haven't already heard, so I switched over to watch the channel where they fix up old cars. But really it was just a ritual that passes the time until supper.

Stir Fry! Great! We call it "bowl food", and it goes great with Braves baseball, which happens at 6PM. We watched for a while, but Boston is really working Atlanta over. After 6 innings we turned to Netflix to watch "Dexter".
There are 96 episodes of Dexter; we have watched about 15, and it's a great story. That's how we do it. We grab hold of something to watch and then watch the whole series.

10PM. Taps.

So that's a day in the life of a retiree.
What did you do?
pretty much the same. Not in the particulars, but in the genulares. Is genulares a real word? Anyway, not so much tv stuff

Old 05-01-2016, 03:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
I called and wished my sister a happy 74th birthday.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:49 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Woke up at six a.m., which is not unusual....and thought, forget it; but that didn't work so I got up. Showered, etc. and went to get the car fueled up as it was near the reserve, and early Sunday is the least busy time. Really nice and warm out. Drove down to the center of town, wondering if the road would be closed as it is May Day, the worldwide equivalent to the U.S. Labor Day. But all was normal, just a few people out beginning the day...parked the car in the underground garage and walked the the praça. Not many tourists yet so the people in the news stand, waiters in the cafes, etc. are still relaxed and chatty.

No celebration planned that I could see, and I was in the main square. Had a nice club sandwich, a coffee and a crepe with sugar and cinnamon. The International NY Times seemed to have an unusual number of downer articles today. Then I heard music...and sure enough it was band music, and I thought: Ah, some sort of ceremony is going to take place, maybe a little parade (it's all pedestrianized here.) The band music got louder, and then they came into view....a small group of men in suits walking in front, then the band...and then no one, that was it. It was like a New Orleans funeral without the hearse. They marched across the square, out of sight and the music faded away as the seemed to be walking toward a city gate at the other end of town. Have no idea what that was about.

Went to my favorite neighborhood mercado, called Eureka, on the way home...they have just reopened after a fire. Thus, today was an only moderately successful attempt to discover where everything is in the new layout. I did through the intervention of the Universal Mind find the bars of white chocolate and then - eureka! a trove of little cookies covered in white chocolate. The hell with bread, I paid and left. I went and parked on a bluff overlooking the sea, and ate the cookies....and the bar. I have been deprived since the fire struck and was near mad lusting for white chocolate....the supermarket has neither the bars nor the cookies.

When I got home I washed one of the bathrooms for penance.

Tomorrow morning I shall have a health-giving waddle for about half an hour to forty minutes until I reach the cafe called (in Portuguese) There's a Cat Here, but where there is no cat. I have offered to remedy that deficiency by bringing in one of the friendly feral cats that hang out along the cliffs, but each time this offer has been met with enthusiastic rejection.

Last edited by kevxu; 05-01-2016 at 03:59 PM..

Old 05-03-2016, 05:51 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,370,302 times
Some days I do a lot and some days I do little. My rules now, I reap my own rewards or make my own regrets. Today is a drip-drip-drizzle day and I'm feeling like a road trip, somewhere museumy with a nice lunch.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:56 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
This day didn't start out too well. Lying in bed, listening to the radio and the phone rings. Office of the cataract dr says I have to come in AGAIN and sign some more papers. So I made the appointment--wish this office was closer.

Made my tea, read CD, it's cold and rainy out. Haven't gotten any farther than I'm going to heat up the soup I made yesterday in the crockpot and add an egg to it for egg drop soup. Yummy.

Can't find the birthday card I bought for dh. I used a 25% off coupon at CVS and got a ton of stuff (not for him--I'm treating him to a surprise lunch)-- but I hid the card. If I don't find it today I know a place that has nicer cards than CVS--and it's a garden center too -- guess I'll HAVE to go there, lol.

Tomorrow is lunch out with a friend but today is a day to just loll around, cook, clean, read, eat.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:13 PM

245 posts, read 304,468 times
Woke up at 8AM but felt I needed to sleep some more so listened to the radio (earbud - all night - BBC) fell back asleep and got up at 9:30. Started to say the rosary but soon forgot....try to get back to it later.
Did my hair (blow dry) and morning hygiene, unloaded the dishwasher, made coffee, prepared dog's breakfast so it can be cooked when he gets up (!)
Got on the 'puter - got my morning news, email (nothing interesting) then got an email from DH that he was awake - so I brought him coffee in bed plus a treat for the pup.
He got up and made the bed, etc. then came out and made breakfast (I made the pup's breakfast and gave him his treats.)
'Was supposed to be in the lower 60's and sunny here -nope.
We were going to do a bunch of stuff/errands but just feel blah.
Now he is meditating (I still have to!) then off to the park for our hour long run along the lakefront - then pick up the rugs at the rug cleaners.
We are on the computer off and on all day as we are both political junkies and have a beady eye on Indiana today.
Then we will watch the election results tonight - plus the Cubs. Oh, have to make bread in the bread machine - think we will try a loaf of Cornell bread.
I wanted to try out my new foldable bike today but just don't feel like it. As I said - kind of a blah day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement