Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 03:36 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times

Advertisements

I just received the following email from Social Security. I checked and it's authentic. I feel bad for the elderly who dont have a cell phone or whose cell phone doesnt have texting ability.

Starting in August 2016, Social Security is adding a new step to protect your privacy as a my Social Security user. This new requirement is the result of an executive order for federal agencies to provide more secure authentication for their online services. Any agency that provides online access to a customer’s personal information must use multifactor authentication.

When you sign in at ssa.gov/myaccount with your username and password, we will ask you to add your text-enabled cell phone number. The purpose of providing your cell phone number is that, each time you log in to your account with your username and password, we will send you a one-time security code you must also enter to log in successfully to your account.

Each time you sign into your account, you will complete two steps:
• Step 1: Enter your username and password.
• Step 2: Enter the security code we text to your cell phone (cell phone provider's text message and data rates may apply).

The process of using a one-time security code in addition to a username and password is one form of “multifactor authentication,” which means we are using more than one method to make sure you are the actual owner of your account.
If you do not have a text-enabled cell phone or you do not wish to provide your cell phone number, you will not be able to access your my Social Security account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 05:26 AM

253 posts, read 235,055 times
I just got one too. I thought it might be spam so I googled. It is apparently true and going to happen. I told my husband to pop some corn and sit back and see what came out in the wash. Boggleheads was talking about it yesterday:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196278

My husband refuses to text and wants just a dumb cell phone. I told him that I think the generation still working isn't going to sympathize. BoA gives a choice between phone or email. I can't understand why email delivery of the code wasn't built into SSA.

Last edited by AnnaLee2; 07-29-2016 at 05:57 AM..

Old 07-29-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLee2 View Post
...I can't understand why email delivery of the code wasn't built into SSA.

I agree totally.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:57 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Awhile back there was a big phone give away to people who couldn't afford cell phones. I wonder if seniors who can't afford one will be given one? That doesn't solve the problem of seniors who have problems, either seeing the small print, typing on the small letters, learning how to use new technology.
Honestly I'll bet many seniors can't get to SSA via online either. They either have to call, go to the library and get a librarian to help them, or just get a ride to their local SSA office.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:15 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
I am one senior who does not use a cell phone, nor do I want to buy a phone and pay a monthly fee to do so. I rarely access my social security on line, so if needed I can go to my local social security office. Just what they need - more people waiting in line at the social security office!

What does concern me is will this also apply to the Medicare on line account now or in the future? I do go on line to verify doctor charges on my Medicare on line account.

Is there anywhere seniors can file a complaint about this new requirement to access social security? I don't think they gave much thought to the number of seniors who do not use a cell phone with test messaging when they came up with this requirement. I can't believe there is no alternative if you do not use a cell phone. Did a 20 year old design this new requirement?

Old 07-29-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
...will this also apply to the Medicare on line account now or in the future?...

I wouldnt be surprised if Medicare also implements this policy soon -- because of the following inclusion in the SSA email:

This new requirement is the result of an executive order for federal agencies to provide more secure authentication for their online services. Any agency that provides online access to a customer’s personal information must use multifactor authentication.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:46 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
I just went online and contacted AARP (since I could not find a way to complain to the Social Security office) to see if they can make our voices heard. If enough people take the time to email AARP, perhaps they can tell us how to complain to Social Security or set up something so that they can let Social Security know how this new rule impacts so many senior citizens.

FYI, you don't have to be a member of AARP to email them with a question. I used the "other" category to submit a question to see if they could help us to get our complaint about this new rule heard.

Last edited by Mary2014; 07-29-2016 at 07:05 AM..

Old 07-29-2016, 06:54 AM

Great idea, Mary. Thanks so much!

Old 07-29-2016, 07:06 AM

253 posts, read 235,055 times
Great minds think similarly. I went over to AARP website and came back to say that I don't think they are aware of this. I didn't think to try to leave a message as I am not a member.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:47 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
I think the texting OPTION should be one of many for providing further substantiation of your account. There is no reason there cannot be a voice message left on your landline with a code for you to use in a call-back option that will get you to an automated system that accesses your account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement