Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 06:54 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times

Advertisements

In short I have learned that 70 is a lot closer to 80 than 60 is. While that seems obvious. life at 60 is now where near what life at 70 or 80 is. However at 70 we can start to get a glimpse at 80 and start to go hmmmmmmm better get ready for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 07:18 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
All ladies are beautiful at any age because they give men a reason to live.

60 to 70 and here I am at 68.

Changes are very pronounced.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:46 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
I spent my 70th birthday in the hospital having a knee replacement. It has gone downhill from there. With the scars, my birthday suit looks like a quilt.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:47 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Walking to relieve joint pain thru out the body is not an option when one has excruciating unbearable pain in a knee.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:43 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
This is my age group. I am just a little over half way through it. Memory is still pretty good, but I admit that multi-tasking is a little harder than it used to be. Joint pain is a real pain in the joint. I experience a lot of stiffness and lack of flexibility. We notice quite a few more problems in our 60's than in our 50's. Lack of stamina, too. But, we haven't given up and keep pushing forward. A bit scary to think of the difference between 55 and 65, what will our 70's and 80's feel like.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:12 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I'm a 69-year-old woman. I don't think I feel any different physically at age 69 than I did at 59. Actually, I feel better now than I did a few years ago when I was my husband's full-time caregiver. That was very stressful, physically and emotionally. After he died almost three years ago, I got physical therapy to help with the shoulder that I blew out pushing him around in his wheelchair, and my digestive system slowly recovered from the stress of going from one medical crisis to another.

I don't exercise -- I know, I should, but I just hate to exercise. I'm 5'-4" tall and I weigh 125 lbs. I don't have aches and pains, and the only medication I take is to alleviate anxiety. My blood pressure, cholesterol, blood glucose levels are always on the low-normal side. So far I've been incredibly lucky with my health.

However, I really notice a difference when I look in the mirror. Although my face isn't too badly wrinkled, I hate to look at my body any more -- it's an old woman's body. So I try to avoid the mirror until I'm fully dressed!

And I'm completely freaked out about turning 70 next year. Somehow 69 doesn't sound too bad, but 70 just sounds so OLD. I know, age is just a number, but as I saw on an internet meme recently, "Age is just a number, and jail is just a room."
Bad news:

You're already 70. You celebrated your first birthday after you finished your first year.
You will celebrate your 70th when you have finished your 70th year.

Have a good day.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:21 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
OP: I am much like you. Turning 60, I felt fine and had no physical problems other than my teeth, which have never been all that great. Now at 63, I get tired easier, I can't take the summer heat at all, and I've developed neuropathy, in my feet, even though I don't have diabetes. Finally, my doctor told me that Vitamin B12 would help and it has. Its also taken away the weird pains I've been having in my legs, like someone just jabbed a pin in my leg or foot. But I also now have a swollen prostrate which is giving me problems. I also have some other symptoms which could indicate cardiovascular disease. So I've taken your same attitude. I'm going to try getting in some trips and adventures before I can't.

However, I can't really complain. My wife came down with metastatic ovarian cancer this year, and has had a rough ride, major surgery, chemo, hair loss, etc, etc.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:33 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
The trip from 60 to 70 - what can I say?

From 60 to 65, I was working full-time, only had one adult son still living at home, (brought his bride in while they waited for their house to be finished). I was active in local theater and spent many evenings at rehearsals/performances. Did most of my own yard work.

At 65, the company I worked for declared Chap. 11 and closed our facility. I became "officially retired". From 65 to 68, I noticed a definite change in my stamina. Couldn't walk more than 25 feet before I had to stop and rest a minute. Diagnosed with a faulty aortic valve and at 69, had surgery to replace the valve. Three months later, I was again on stage and everything was swell. I turned 70 that year.

Seventy to 80 was a whole new set of circumstances.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:36 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Bad news:

You're already 70. You celebrated your first birthday after you finished your first year.
You will celebrate your 70th when you have finished your 70th year.

Have a good day.
So wouldn't that make her oh say 69 1/2 give or take? I think society has conditioned us to legally think the way she does.
Consider, could you have gotten served alcohol during the first 365 days of your 21st year per your explanation?
Could you have gotten a driving license or voted during the first 365 days or so approaching your legal age to do so?
Could you collect SS the months after your 61st birthday saying it was now your 62 year?

Just wondering, to late for me, but dang it could help some of these younger whipper snappers

Old 08-06-2016, 07:21 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
I'll turn 70 in a few days and doubt I'll feel any different than I do at 69. I was hit with a neurological disorder at 66 which left me with some significant, physical deficits but they seem stable although are still a source of frustration.

People say, "Age is just a number." While technically true, it has made and does make a difference. Upper body strength has decreased. Balance is gone. I'm shorter. I have less hair. My shoe size is larger. There are more aches and pains, etc.

I believe it was Betty Davis who is credited with saying, "There ain't nothing about aging for sissies," or words to that effect. Truer words were never spoken.

I don't look upon reaching 70 as a milestone. I look at it as simply being preferable to the alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement