Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 04:01 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,066,081 times

Advertisements

I recently read The 2-Wheeled Commuter Car in the most recent Forbes magazine, about Faraday's new E-bike, retailing for $2500, with lithium lightweight battery packs that can go 100 Miles without needing a charge, with a top speed of 20MPH. Great for aging baby boomers with arthritic knees or being simply out of shape, as these bikes will go straight up a steep street in San Francisco without pedaling. And if you want to pedal, just push the blue button, and you're pedaling again.

But first things first, you need to gravitate to a city that's bicycle friendly, and to a climate that's amenable to this lifestyle, providing you want to abandon the car totally. Having returned from the mechanic last week, facing $900 in car repairs, and shelling out another $500 for a radiator 2 months ago, this was music to my ears!

And, don't forget, you can always call Enterprise, in a pinch, they'll come to your door and pick you up and return you to your home after tooling around in one of their cars for a day, doing some heavier purchasing.

This is the lifestyle I'm dreaming of, ah! to bid a final good bye to car ownership. But I wouldn't consider it here in Bicycle-unfriendly Las Vegas. Tucson won a Platinum award for Bike Friendliness, it has the climate, perhaps that's where I should head to.

There are cheaper E-bikes from China, for half the price, but they have the acid batteries, with a range of only 20 miles before re-charging, and they're bulkier.

How about you? Anyone that would consider this for part of their retirement lifestyle?

Last edited by tijlover; 09-06-2016 at 04:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 06:07 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
But what is the point of being limited to 20 mph? Frankly, I hate cyclists - always in the way and holding up traffic...else you just risk yourself and them by going around them. I'd much rather have a scooter/motobike that I could at least get up to 35 so okay on surface roads.

If I'm in a retirement community, why not just go with a golfcart?

Old 09-06-2016, 07:15 AM

813 posts, read 1,134,138 times
I live in a very walkable district of my city, Sold my car years ago and have toyed with buying a bike to ride along with my kids. It's great exercise but walking is great as well. The problem with the bicycle is that I would forget where I left it, as I always run into people on the street and end up going off to lunch or coffee or drinks and then forget I came on a bike. When I had a car, I would sometimes lose it for a few days, if I went drinking with my friends.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:39 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
Too funny, I started this thread on the cycling board as I had the same idea. Now I'm not about to give up our cars but this would enable me to enjoy biking in a very hilly region at the age of 70+

E Bikes

Old 09-06-2016, 07:44 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,996 times
If you want a bike friendly place consider moving to someplace like Portland, Oregon. Public transportation is very good, bikes are everywhere, and you can easily rent a Zip car for a few hours or for a day or more.

Personally I will stick with driving a car...way more comfortable especially in bad weather, way safer, and as a retiree I don't drive much so the costs are low.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:00 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,329,700 times
Getting rid of all but 1 car makes sense.

If you can walk or bike to the grocery store that makes it possible.

But I think I would want to keep 1 car for Dr appts, driving while raining, etc.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:31 AM

249 posts, read 267,180 times
My DH and I own three cars, four regular bikes and two ebikes. We love our ebikes since we moved to a hilly area. Depending where you live the zip car is a good alternative to car ownership. We live in Southern California, we need cars.

BTW I had a good Trek hybrid bike, we bought a mid drive motor and lithion battery online that doesn't have the speed governor, I still don't go more than 25 mph, the battery lasts for hours. This cost about $1,000, I think the conversion gives you a better bike and motor.

Continual biking helps maintain balance, and I do pedal after long rides I feel the workout, it isn't like riding a scooter.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:39 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But what is the point of being limited to 20 mph? Frankly, I hate cyclists - always in the way and holding up traffic...else you just risk yourself and them by going around them. I'd much rather have a scooter/motobike that I could at least get up to 35 so okay on surface roads.

If I'm in a retirement community, why not just go with a golfcart?
Being that you're retired, what's the big rush to get where you're going!!! Slow down, enjoy the scenery!

I've been to Tucson any number of times, thinking seriously of moving there, and I've noticed: bike lanes everywhere, and not just recreational bike lanes, which won't serve you well if you're going to a Dr. appointment, grocery shopping, or going to a restaurant.

That's Las Vegas, they've spent untold amounts of money on recreation bike lanes, and yet, on the major roads, no bike lanes, where they're needed the most!

Before I purchase one, I want to make certain that I'll be able to buy parts for it quite readily!

Old 09-06-2016, 09:02 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,776,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
...I've been to Tucson any number of times, thinking seriously of moving there, and I've noticed: bike lanes everywhere, and not just recreational bike lanes...
I'm going to have to seriously consider a winter home in Tucson. Sounds like my type of place. For sure, I'm not going anywhere near Bloomington. The reason I chose my retirement location is the bicycle infrastructure and how motorized vehicles respect cyclists.

Quote:
That's Las Vegas, they've spent untold amounts of money on recreation bike lanes, and yet, on the major roads, no bike lanes, where they're needed the most!
I've ridden in Vegas often enough. Never had a problem on roads without bike lanes. Drivers are pretty respectful of cyclists, as least that's my experience.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-06-2016, 09:03 AM

547 posts, read 507,130 times
I'm 56 and car light in Seattle for the last 5 years. I bicycle every day to work and I am in good physical condition. The only time I use my car is for weekend getaways. I do not wish to live this lifestyle in retirement. Traffic is so bad here it took away the enjoyment of driving. I suggest you try going car free for a while before ditch your ride. Get used to riding hills and bad weather, see if that's how you really want to live the rest of your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement