Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 06:19 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times

Advertisements

We went seeking Oregon years ago. Bend was out in the middle of nowhere..... lovely little town but again - dropped into the middle of nothingness.

And the Oregon coast was beautiful but far too foggy for me. We were there during the recession. TONS of homes for sale..... 16% unemployment. It was not a pretty site.

Eugene was a sadder version of every college town we know.

NOPE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 10:04 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
For retirement we will leave Hawaii, mainly because we like to travel and airfare is such a big expense here. We have been here for 30 years and are ready for a different environment.

We are looking at Arizona for a variety of reasons: 1) COL, 2) Climate, 3) Close to military base, 4) Vibe and 5) not too far from family

We are pretty sure we will choose Sedona. It's beautiful, has seasons, close to snow without being in it, is an outdoorsy community, etc.

We have about 4 more years here in Hawaii so we are spending that time crossing things off our bucket list (glider ride, hiking more of the trails, etc.).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-16-2017, 10:48 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
I'm thinking about this a fair amount. I have an lively elderly parent nearby & when she is gone I may make the jump. I say "may" because I know I can get more housing for the amount my current apartment is worth & I find myself constantly seeing myself in a quiet backyard patio with a grill, a view & a gin & tonic. Trouble is I have become very accustomed to not owning a car & having a huge array of cultural & culinary choices very nearby & it is very convenient to walk to markets & cafes, etc...

But that G&T with a view beckons...

I seem to fixate on the southwest mostly & have considered on paper: Las Vegas 'burbs, Tucson, Flagstaff, Phoenix, as well as somewhere in Colorado, New Mexico or Oregon. I have the usual concerns about costs, climate, medical facilities & culture (prefer Blue). I have briefly driven through all years ago & have visited LV several times but only around the tourist area.

The suburbs of LV will probably be my first foray followed by Phoenix/Tucson. I suspect I will just do a southwest vacation drive for a few weeks, maybe I should rent an RV & get the NPS Golden Pass?

Old 02-16-2017, 10:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I'm thinking about this a fair amount. I have an lively elderly parent nearby & when she is gone I may make the jump. ...

The suburbs of LV will probably be my first foray followed by Phoenix/Tucson. I suspect I will just do a southwest vacation drive for a few weeks, maybe I should rent an RV & get the NPS Golden Pass?
Get the pass before 30 JUN 2017 (rules / price is changing)

LV has some good options if you can take the crowds and heat. Look for a walkable neighborhood that will keep you out of the busy-ness of the day and night. DM Yellowsnow for a local LV tutorial

Tucson is very nice, but I have found airfares too high, since PHX and LV are the regional hubs. (I fly a lot)

Old 02-16-2017, 11:45 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
We went seeking Oregon years ago. Bend was out in the middle of nowhere..... lovely little town but again - dropped into the middle of nothingness.

NOPE.
And some of us preferred it that way. My sister and her family moved to Bend in 1990 when the population was less than 30K (not counting the tourists). It's 3 1/2 hours to Portland and a little more to the coast (to be that close to the coast is fantastic to me) but we were used to living in small isolated New Mexico towns so no big deal. And the drive over the Cascades mountain range is gorgeous so worth the driving time. Bend had less crime, more water, and cooler temperatures than New Mexico and had a ski resort so was appealing. I remember visiting her in the late 90's when the town had grown to 50K and thinking that this is where I would like to retire. Now Bend has boomed to more than 85K with an MSA of 166K and has skyrocketed in popularity with the tourists. High home prices, lots of traffic, very crowded festivals, too many people on the trails, too many tourists, lots of breweries but lots of disorderly conduct, overextended infrastructure, etc. Today my sister and her adult children live in the less expensive nearby communities and try to avoid going to Bend except to make a Costco run.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 02-16-2017 at 12:19 PM..

Old 02-16-2017, 12:26 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
And some of us preferred it that way. My sister and her family moved to Bend in 1990 when the population was less than 30K (not counting the tourists). It's 3 1/2 hours to Portland and a little more to the coast (to be that close to the coast is fantastic to me) but we were used to living in small isolated New Mexico towns so no big deal. And the drive over the Cascades mountain range is gorgeous so worth the driving time. Bend had less crime, more water, and cooler temperatures than New Mexico and had a ski resort so was appealing. I remember visiting her in the late 90's when the town had grown to 50K and thinking that this is where I would like to retire. Now Bend has boomed to more than 85K with an MSA of 166K and has skyrocketed in popularity with the tourists. High home prices, lots of traffic, very crowded festivals, too many people on the trails, too many tourists, lots of breweries but lots of disorderly conduct, overextended infrastructure, etc. Today my sister and her adult children live in the less expensive nearby communities and try to avoid going to Bend except to make a Costco run.
Sadly, many of these retirement communities are moving targets. I remember going to Asheville in college before the craft beer scene really took off and the town became trendy. It was still quite affordable. Today, it's a much different story. Retirees, often with money and from out of state, have poured into the Asheville area, and are a significant contributor to the rise in rent and real estate values there.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:51 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Sadly, many of these retirement communities are moving targets. I remember going to Asheville in college before the craft beer scene really took off and the town became trendy. It was still quite affordable. Today, it's a much different story. Retirees, often with money and from out of state, have poured into the Asheville area, and are a significant contributor to the rise in rent and real estate values there.

Ashville NC, Santa Fe NM, ................"trendy "is a buzzword for.....EXPENSIVE

Old 02-17-2017, 04:50 PM

1,066 posts, read 766,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
4. Colorado Springs, CO - Lower cost of living and more sun than Washington and Oregon. A little too far east to be convenient. I've heard about the cold winters and temperature swings!
Looking at some of your choices and comparing the Springs... consider that the Front Range (which includes that town) is really bulging at the seams. Have a look at Montrose, CO, which is on the west side of the Rockies, called the Western Slope. Weather still seasonal but something of a Banana Belt compared to the east side of the Rockies. It's smaller but actually not a bad town all things considered.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:05 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times
Default Except for real estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Ashville NC, Santa Fe NM, ................"trendy "is a buzzword for.....EXPENSIVE
We have not found Asheville to be expensive, though when we bought our retirement "castle", the real estate prices seemed reasonable for us. We have found that our utilities, taxes and insurance of all kinds is less. Housekeepers- gardeners, and other labor is less. It depends on where you are from. There are so many free and low cost things to do, so many great restaurants in all price ranges. It is progressive and welcoming. It is a wonderful place for retirement.

I am in awe of the sheer beauty around me everyday- even in the middle of winter-- ever changing landscape.

Last edited by funisart; 02-17-2017 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: Add

Old 02-17-2017, 08:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
We have not found Asheville to be expensive, .... a wonderful place for retirement.

I am in awe of the sheer beauty around me everyday- even in the middle of winter-- ever changing landscape.
There is always a Price of Admission. be prepared.

A view and nice community is delightful when you are retired and finally have time to enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement