Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:55 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times

Advertisements

Right now my top place is the Texas Hill Country.The Hill Country is good for my hobbies like hunting and fishing.Not for sure what town though.I want to stay in the state of Texas for retirement.I am also considering the Coastal Bend around Corpus.I just like that area.Corpus is good for fishing also.I am also considering Abilene and Angelo,Texas.I like that they are mid-sized towns with good locations and I would be able to find a lot of like-minded people there.

Last edited by C24L; 02-17-2017 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 11:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Right now my top place is the Texas Hill Country.The Hill Country is good for my hobbies like hunting and fishing.Not for sure what town though.....
What are your hobbies, needs, desires for regional activities and healthcare / transportation?

Come over to TX forum (SA or TX general)

I really like my 'other' retirement town of Kerrville.
20 min to Bandera, Fredericksburg, Comfort, or deep into the Hill Country / recreation / fishing and hunting (Mo Ranch). Plenty of things to do nearby and good music / motorcycle riding options.
Yet a college town, all the big box stores of region, plenty of food choices, varied economy and populace. (But lots of rehab +/-)

1 hr to SAT is a stretch, as I need to keep a car in storage near airport ($45 / month)

Due to Ethnic influences, some nice towns in the region are not so nice to newcomers.

TEXAS is great the 260 days / yr the PNW is miserable
PNW is GREAT the 100 days TX is miserable

Wild berries and wild Salmon fly free on SWA, and Brisket flies back to PNW. (grapefruit at the moment / 50# every month)

I have friends that love Canyon Lake, New Braunfels, Wimberley... (closer to AUS and SAT) further from outdoor country freedom. (and smack in the middle of GROWTH.)

Old 02-17-2017, 11:19 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
What are your hobbies, needs, desires for regional activities and healthcare / transportation?

Come over to TX forum (SA or TX general)

I really like my 'other' retirement town of Kerrville.
20 min to Bandera, Fredericksburg, Comfort, or deep into the Hill Country / recreation / fishing and hunting (Mo Ranch). Plenty of things to do nearby and good music / motorcycle riding options.
Yet a college town, all the big box stores of region, plenty of food choices, varied economy and populace. (But lots of rehab +/-)

1 hr to SAT is a stretch, as I need to keep a car in storage near airport ($45 / month)

Due to Ethnic influences, some nice towns in the region are not so nice to newcomers.

TEXAS is great the 260 days / yr the PNW is miserable
PNW is GREAT the 100 days TX is miserable

Wild berries and wild Salmon fly free on SWA, and Brisket flies back to PNW. (grapefruit at the moment / 50# every month)

I have friends that love Canyon Lake, New Braunfels, Wimberley... (closer to AUS and SAT) further from outdoor country freedom. (and smack in the middle of GROWTH.)
Well, I do like to hunt,fish,camp, and boat.Its a still a long time off for me though.I would like to be close to a good grocery store.I dont think getting around will be an issue.I like New Braunfels.I dont think it would be a problem for me since I am German.My dream retirement spot in the Texas Hill Country would be Horseshoe Bay but I dont know if I will ever be able to afford it.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:18 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Why move when you are happy with your location? That's our plan.

Sure I can see getting a smaller place in the same area.
I'm happy with where we are, BUT:

1}taxes are too high

2} weather in winter sucks, this winter I think we are on record snowfall, and I am getting so with my bad back I can't shovel it anymore, snowblowers are not always the answer. Not for the heavy wet stuff or the 2-3" we have been getting daily here.

3} weather, I'm getting to where the storms {snow} and constant changes in geo. pressure are killing my arthritic joints.

4} weather: we get the LEAST amount of sunlight days per year at my area in my state, other areas in my state get more. it's where we are located.

5} weather, I don't mind the COLD, but I'm getting to where I cannot stand the BITTER cold anymore {below 20F} Happens frequently for weeks on end here.

We have 2 locations we picked out. We have done a lot of online research, and will, as someone else said, make several fieldtrips there over the coming years to decide if we'd really like it there.

Criterion are, pretty much in order:

1} better warmer sunnier weather
2}small city
3}easy to get to from here as we will snowbird for a while
4}good hospital care available
5} lower taxes or no taxes
6} comparable or lower COL
7}easy to get around the new city
8} price of real estate same or lower than here {which they are by a vast difference}
9} cultural options

I'm not telling exactly where as I DON'T want a bunch of other Yankees running down the place!

Old 02-21-2017, 04:51 PM

352 posts, read 262,885 times
This is a great post and I have enjoyed reading everyone's list. It seems like a lot of the same states pop up over and over. Hubby and I live in VA and I love the state, but the area we live in has changed dramatically over the years and I can't wait to go. We also want a one story homeOur children are both in the military and will probably make a career out of it so I have no idea where they will eventually settle. Given that, I don't want Florida because it is such a long drive out of Florida to get to other states. Florida is one of my husband's top picks. I like 4 seasons, but not brutal winters, and he could care less if he ever saw another snowflake. We both love the beach and would love to be near the water. The closer you are to the water the more expensive homes are and the homeowner's insurance rates. We would like to live where the COL is less and home prices are more reasonable. Don't know how close we will get to the water. We will probably stay along the east coast. Looking at these different areas:

1. Wilmington, NC- 4 seasons, milder winters, and beaches. However, housing and real estate taxes and insurance is pricier. Also a smaller city with no major cities close by. Raleigh is 2 hours away.

2. Columbia SC- Haven't visited, just rode through. Nice lake. Cheap real estate market, medium sized city, close to larger cities and within 2 hours of beaches and mountains. Good location for traveling to other states.

3. Tampa FL- My hubby's pick, not mine. Beautiful beaches. Too far from other states to drive. Too hot year round and no 4 seasons.

4. Charlotte, NC- Nice lake, big city, major airport hub, seasonal weather, 3 hours to beaches and close to mountains.

5. ???

Old 02-21-2017, 05:38 PM

419 posts, read 387,811 times
We are trying to return to where I was born near Chestertown, Maryland on the Eastern Shore. I grew up there then moved to Delaware for work and to go to university. Over 20 years ago, we moved to Florida. We were lucky to find a great little town west of Orlando called Clermont and have loved living here for the most part.

I need to be closer to family to be available for my 80 year old mother. Hubby has a son within an hour from where we want to move, and I have two brothers and other family also within an hour. My husband has been having more and more health problems, and I feel like now has to be the time we move or else we won't be able to ever move. We are at the point where we have to hire everything done. Lawn care here is year-round, and the pool has become a nuisance.

We lived about 20 miles from Chestertown when I was growing up, and I spent a great deal of time there. It's a small but lovely town steeped in history with enough of the things we'll need and want. It has a small hospital where I took my first breath many years ago. The very old Washington College is there, a nice bonus for concerts and such. Delaware with tax free shopping and my mother living there is under 30 miles away.

I miss the four seasons and will welcome them again. For the first several years in Florida, the heat and humidity did not bother me. That changed a few years ago, and I can no longer deal with it for so many months out of the year.

I have lived very rural as well as near cities and will be comfortable anywhere. As long as I have a pretty place to walk daily and a couple of grocery stores, I'm happy. Husband was Army medic and used to moving, but he's not as enthusiastic about going back to four seasons. Our problem now is making it happen because of husband's health problems.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:20 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
How many people considered things like Kiplinger's top 10 places to retire? Based upon things like the most 10 friendly, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-21-2017, 06:42 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
How many people considered things like Kiplinger's top 10 places to retire? Based upon things like the most 10 friendly, etc.
I always take a look at them with interest. But most of the places I would not consider because I don't want to live in a high-humidity region. That pretty much nixes everything east of the Rocky Mountains. They are still interesting and I always hope the area I'm retiring to shows up. Then again, I'm thankful that they do not. No need to encourage more immigration than there already is.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-21-2017, 08:39 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Most lists are completely superficial. People need to do deep dives into individual areas to determine whether or not they are the appropriate fit.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:47 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Most lists are completely superficial. People need to do deep dives into individual areas to determine whether or not they are the appropriate fit.
Of course, but finances are math and easy to quantify. We take a look at the best retirements states and then determined which of those had lifestyles that we consider a fit.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement