Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 08:17 PM

404 posts, read 480,762 times

Advertisements

dothetwist brought up in the Stages of Retirement thread the the concept of retiring in a series of plans each lasting 5 years. I find that idea interesting perhaps that philosophy would help us make a decision. I'd like to read thoughts and ideas on it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 02:11 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
I don't think each phase lasts 5 years, and I don't think you need to reinvent yourself.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:26 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
I read that and found the idea of starting on new adventures in 5-year cycles intriguing. However, I couldn't help but wonder what one would do if they 'found themselves' during one of their 5-year re-invention cycles.

I'm not sure that building the life one feels fulfilled in and then continuing to do that is a bad thing ... or equivalent to complacency. Still, I like the idea of having goals and doing new things. (For example, I've just finished writing a book and am teaching again - and have never worked harder or felt more of a sense of purpose. We've also done a great deal of travel since retirement and may do more -- yet, truly enjoy spending time with the 'kids' and grandkids.)

Old 10-02-2016, 03:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Our 'seasons'. Vary with health, age, responsibilities.

Don't over think it. My DS would freak if I brought up a "5 yr plan", but some might be relieved to have a plan.

Make each day count, stay flexible, understand how your current positions and decisions many affect your next season.

Position your plans in a way that makes them attainable. (Even if the wild card of health or needy parents / adult kids throws you off cycle).

Have an exit strategy / end game, as tomorrow you may become bedridden. That Happens ...

Old 10-02-2016, 04:49 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
The Soviet Union wasn't helped by repeated 5-year plans and I don't think retirees would be either. Investing large amounts of money (relative to your wealth) is usually subject to a lot of risk that the plan you make doesn't work for you. Of course we don't plan things that way; we plan for the best. My suggestion is that if you feel you have to explore such an investment, you look at picking something that is robust in the face of things not working out. It may not be your dream choice, but if the dream doesn't come true, the really bad things that can happen can be avoided.

For example, during my professional career, I moved to my dream place. I wanted to build a big dream home, but thought about what might happen if the market went south, or i ended up hating the job and the place. So, I decided to rent a nice, smaller home for a while, with an option to buy in the next 5 years. Well, i liked the job and the place, but the housing market collapsed. Two years later, i bought a lot in a nice part of town that had dropped about 50% in price. The price of new homes also tanked. So, I swallowed the option, and built a somewhat smaller house than I had originally wanted. It worked out fine. When I left for a new job after 5 years in the new place, I made a pre-tax profit of more than 100%. If I had built the big house, I might have just about broken even, if I had been lucky.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:11 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Too rigid. What is it about the five-year time interval which suits it for any given "plan"? Just doesn't make any sense to me. I might engage in a given activity for two or three years or for seven or eight years, or for any other number of years.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
I don't believe "plans" have to be rigid. In writing and other projects, I often suggest and create limited-time "plans" that are more like roadmaps that can be adjusted or changed at any time. Lots of unexpected things can develop within five years in a person's life, including some real doozy curveballs. Some time back I created a thread here called something like "Five years ago I could never have imagined..." and got some eye-opening responses.

But say you're 65 or 70 years old and want to experiment with new projects or living situations and are too fearful to risk trying any of them. With a 4- or 5-year limit some are much more likely to give it a go. I'd be inclined toward the 3-year plan at my age/situation, however.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:08 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan57 View Post
dothetwist brought up in the Stages of Retirement thread the the concept of retiring in a series of plans each lasting 5 years. I find that idea interesting perhaps that philosophy would help us make a decision. I'd like to read thoughts and ideas on it. Thanks.
The adoption of 5-year plans is odd though.

Historically, it was a horrible failure killing millions.

I mean dear lord, wwhy not label it "the final solution".

Old 10-03-2016, 05:29 AM

404 posts, read 480,762 times
The idea interests me because we are getting paralyzed trying to figure out what to do with the rest of our lifes. 5 year plans are easier to digest because we're not trying to come up with a 'final solution' for us. We can do something for 5 years which entails figuring out what to do for the subsequent 5. That just doesn't seem so overwhelming to me.

Of course, this is just the latest, greatest idea. Jeez, this is hard.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:14 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I read that and found the idea of starting on new adventures in 5-year cycles intriguing. However, I couldn't help but wonder what one would do if they 'found themselves' during one of their 5-year re-invention cycles.
We've been very happy in all of our 5 year plans. In fact, we were reluctant and almost extended our first two venues. But we're glad we didn't, as each subsequent 5 year plan was as good (or better) than the first one! And all totally different than each other.

Our current venue allows us enjoy the laid back beach life and to fly to Europe easily from a major US airport. We're considering Europe as our next 5 year plan and are 'collecting' towns/cities in Spain and Italy as potential venues.

While the 5 year plan won't work for everyone, I highly recommend it for those who retire early and have a sense of adventure. And also for those who are a bit 'lost' as to where (or if) they want to settle down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement