Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 03:41 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
The Henny Youngman type of humor is something out of the dark dark ages. It always surprises me that men who are still alive could still be using Henny Youngman type of comedy.
Yeah...I couldn't think of his name. It's Henny Youngman. Who wasn't funny even when he was the thing. "Take my wife......please."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 04:07 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Quote:
I wouldn't care if she has a McJob as long as she has a job. just don't come in the marriage with a ton of debt.
Does this mean you think a woman without a job must automatically have a lot of debt???

Old 03-18-2017, 04:13 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I wouldn't marry a man with a lot of debt, even if he makes the payments.
By the time we get older, all that debt stuff should be whittled down.

And he should have a healthy retirement account.
Have a reasonable car, and preferably own a home.
Change the pronouns as the policy isn't gender exclusive.

Quote:
Of course, "a lot" of debt is relative.
No it isn't... anything more than current period is "a lot"
(CC balance and maybe a car loan)

Old 03-18-2017, 04:42 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Change the pronouns as the policy isn't gender exclusive.

No it isn't... anything more than current period is "a lot"
(CC balance and maybe a car loan)
Yes, there are differences of opinion as to what "a lot" is, relative to one's financial station in life. And even within one's income range, there are differences of opinion as to what "a lot is."

Old 03-18-2017, 05:07 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
As for the OP's question, I wonder that, also.

A friend recently got divorced at age 74, after 52 years of marriage. He found out wife had been cheating on him for more than 25 years. He. was. devastated.

He wasn't even divorced yet, before he was on dating sites.
The man hadn't been 'available' in more than 50 years -- and was meeting and talking with women from all over.

He really just isn't they type to be alone….apparently not for any length of time. at. all.

Personally, I've always wonder how people at any age can break up -- and two weeks later they're dating. I think I'd need some 'recovery time.' But, people cope or -- DON'T COPE -- in different ways.

I have another friend who cheated with -- or let's just say -- "met" -- the husband she ended up marrying…while she was married to the previous husband…twice.

Some people also don't' think of 'separated' as being "married" ….or that if they've been "emotionally" separated even though they're still "together" or "separate lives in the same house." -- that then they're free to "meet" other peopl
e.
ROFL. I met one of those some years ago when doing the online dating thing after my divorce. I was divorced with a teenager, and so was he, supposedly.

So we met for a drink, and I asked how long he had been divorced. He said, "well, I'm actually not divorced, just separated." So I asked how long he has been separated. "Well, we are separated, but we still live in the house together because of our daughter, and for financial reasons, plus my wife injured her back last year..."

And I said, "So what you are, actually, is called MARRIED." I started laughing, and so did he. We got another drink and we stayed in touch here and there because we had something else in common that gave us reason to touch base, but it wasn't the sort of romantic relationship I was going for. It really did make me laugh, though, that he thought he could pull that off.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:47 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
^^^^^^^^^^^ " that he thought he could pull that off."

Yeah it is pretty amazing they think that. But believe me, there are so many out there that think they can!

Old 03-18-2017, 07:13 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Yeah...I couldn't think of his name. It's Henny Youngman. Who wasn't funny even when he was the thing. "Take my wife......please."
Only women don't find that funny.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:34 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
The preacher asked her
And she said I do
The preacher asked me
And she said yes he does too
And the preacher said
I pronounce you 99 to life
Son she's no lady she's your wife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o3m1FwhusY

Old 03-18-2017, 09:12 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
As a single woman who is older, I definitely DO care what a prospective partner looks like. If he's really overweight, looks unhealthy, is unkempt, is scrawny, looks like he drinks too much, I'm not interested in him as a partner.

Men can say what they are looking for, but IMO, from the men I've known who are older and single, I think that men don't do as well alone as women do. For one thing, marriage is more beneficial to men (although they sometimes don't realize it). Women still lose a part of their identity when they marry, and they more often than men go along with what the husband wants (it makes him feel masculine, and some believe that's the way to be for religious reasons). They also have more duties involved in a marriage...maintaining the household, grocery shopping, the neverending cooking and laundry. Men will "help," but in older people, I think the women still bear the brunt of all that. That's not a terrible thing, but you can see how an older single woman might appreciate her freedom.

I also think that men are looking for caretakers in their later years. They are scared of getting sick and being alone. They also still have sex on their minds more than women do, IMO.

I think it's also easier for women to make and maintain friendships in their older years. Women do things together, like go out to eat, go to the movies, go to flea markets (easy & inexpensive things to do). Men are more limited in that, and don't seem to make friends as easily in their older years. So they are lonelier. There are also fewer men for an older man to be friendly with...some still work a lot, and some have passed away. Because women live longer and outlive men, there are more single women for single women to make
friends with and do things with.

So women just do better at the single life. I read a study once that of four groups of people (single men, single women, married men, married women), the rating of happiest to least happy was:

Married men
Single women
Single men
Married women

So you can see why, as a group, single women in their older years aren't dying to move to the bottom of the list, and why single men would want to move up to the happiest spot again.
The OP asked for input from men; I don't believe a single woman is qualified to answer. And I also believe this particular single woman is making an awful lot of assumptions on roles older people take on, especially revolving around those "housekeeping" chores. I also note there is no acknowledgement of who is taking the responsibility for maintenance and repairs of a house and yard.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:54 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
"I must be dreaming"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VshyrsRdoF0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement