Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 12:04 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, many many times the pill man is an old man or old lady that supplements their meager retirement by selling some of their pills. It isn't a "kids these days" problem, its a societal problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 12:10 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,181,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Many communities have been severely negatively impacted by these drugs. If inconveniencing some pain patients cleans up these communities, then I'd rather have them inconvenienced than have all these pills of the street.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. "Inconveniencing some pain patients" means leaving people to suffer serious physical pain, even agony, when there is a remedy available. Pls bear in mind that while not all people who become addicted to opioids are morally responsible for their addiction, some could have done without and chose to use. On the other hand, people who are in pain because of diseases, or age, or physical conditions didn't have any choice.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:48 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,668 times
I have a friend with a MIL who is addicted to pain meds. She's 79. The family has spoken to her Dr. about it. The MIL takes more than she should and has lots of falls. When the Dr. tries to cut back the MIL throws a fit.

So, there goes the cycle.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:51 PM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I have a friend with a MIL who is addicted to pain meds. She's 79. The family has spoken to her Dr. about it. The MIL takes more than she should and has lots of falls. When the Dr. tries to cut back the MIL throws a fit.

So, there goes the cycle.
At 79 maybe there should be some allowances made. Just like the limit on dosages for terminal cancer patients and the worry they'll become addicted.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:01 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
At 79 maybe there should be some allowances made. Just like the limit on dosages for terminal cancer patients and the worry they'll become addicted.

I think that is easy to say if you are not the one getting phone calls at all hrs. that MIL has yet again gone to the ER due to falling and as with my friend lives 5 hrs away. It is a huge family issue. This, as with many, it becomes a family issue, not just an issue for the individual.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:04 PM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I think that is easy to say if you are not the one getting phone calls at all hrs. that MIL has yet again gone to the ER due to falling and as with my friend lives 5 hrs away. It is a huge family issue. This, as with many, it becomes a family issue, not just an issue for the individual.
Is she falling due to meds or other reasons?

And I did get phone calls from six hours away at all hours because of falls, non-med related.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:11 PM

35,086 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree. "Inconveniencing some pain patients" means leaving people to suffer serious physical pain, even agony, when there is a remedy available. Pls bear in mind that while not all people who become addicted to opioids are morally responsible for their addiction, some could have done without and chose to use. On the other hand, people who are in pain because of diseases, or age, or physical conditions didn't have any choice.
I'm by no means advocating blanket denial, but historically these drugs have been too easily gotten. If an ailing senior needs this medicine, I don't want to deny them, but it needs to be monitored closely and other pain management avenues exhausted IMO before resorting to heavy narcotics.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:58 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,181,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm by no means advocating blanket denial, but historically these drugs have been too easily gotten. If an ailing senior needs this medicine, I don't want to deny them, but it needs to be monitored closely and other pain management avenues exhausted IMO before resorting to heavy narcotics.

Im fine with monitoring prescriptions more closely -- and what manufacturers/importers do with their products -- and I think that would help to control the improper use and make doctors more comfortable about prescribing.

But I'm not so sure about some regulatory requirement to exhaust other pain management avenues, since that basically requires patients to endure pain while doctors experiment with massage, herbs, hypnosis, acupuncture, or whatever. Not that these alternative systems don't have value, but I think a patient should be able to forego these and opt for immediate relief if that is what he wants. Again, I see it as an issue of personal freedom to use what is available and what I deem is best for me.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:11 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I recently tore a muscle in my back pretty badly. It was evident on the X-ray the ER doctor ordered
When did x-rays start showing muscle tissue?

Old 05-05-2017, 05:02 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I recently tore a muscle in my back pretty badly. It was evident on the X-ray the ER doctor ordered and I was in a lot of pain--more pain than I can remember experiencing in 20 years. After consulting with the Dr I asked for some prescription pain pills to hold me over for a week or so while I recovered. He refused to give me anything prescription and told me to take NSAIDS. I told him I couldn't take Non-steroids because of an ulcer I'd had a few years ago. Still he was adamant. No pain pills.

What is happening in America when a doctor cannot prescribe even a few pain pills to help with a retiree's pain. I know there's a drug epidemic out there involving young kids abusing prescription pain meds but old people with chronic conditions are being cut off without even being weaned. All they hear from their Dr is "Sorry. I won't write any more prescription painkillers for you. Yes, I know you're in a lot of pain but I have the FDA and my license to worry about."

I cannot fathom what is becoming of America, I cannot begin to imagine the horror if I got cancer. Many terminally ill patients are being refused their pain meds right at the pharmacy by pharmacists who say, "I know it's a legitimate prescription but I just cannot fill it for you. I'm sorry." Anybody else having this kind of problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q-9wNmcv30
BS, they can prescribe painkillers that are suppository. (rectal administered).

I was prescribed oxy for a kidney stone, but as I couldn't stop vomitting they were no use.
The doc gave me the suppositories instead.

Theres always whiskey, the pain won't stop , you'll just not give a crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement