Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 02:07 PM

51,272 posts, read 36,934,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Potential for severe addiction and related problems is much worse with hardcore narcotics than booze.
That may be, but that doesn't warrant denying people in genuine need who don't have any reason specific to that person to deny them. Again, IMO blanket health care policies that treat all patients the same is poor health care and not a solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 05:19 PM

18,255 posts, read 17,004,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's very true. Several years ago my step-son who was uninsured, had severe back pain so he went to a free clinic, where he was 'diagnosed' with a muscle strain and treated with a prescription for vicodin, when it didn't improve he went back 3 or 4 more times and the prescription was refilled. He finally told his dad (my husband) that he didn't know what to do because the pain kept getting worse. My husband took him to his doctor who ordered a CT scan and diagnosed him with metastasized testicular cancer, he died three weeks later at the age of 25.
A sad story to be sure but at least he had enough painkillers at the end to pass away as comfortably as is possible with narcotics. Today it's an entirely different story with innumerable patients screaming in agony one out of every three hours according to some nurses who are on a strict schedule they can not violate no matter how loud the patient wails in excruciating pain. One nurse told the wife of a dying man who was begging for relief "I'm sorry. I feel for you, I really do. But my instructions are 'No morphine to be administered more frequently than every four hours.' " I'm so sorry." So even if the morphine wears off an hour early, the Dr. is too afraid the patient will get addicted to permit extra pain meds to be administered. Can you fathom the mentality??? The patient will be dead in a few weeks and the Dr. is worried the patient will get addicted!!!!!

Such stupidity just totally floors me.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,655,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Potential for severe addiction and related problems is much worse with hardcore narcotics than booze.
Again, I disagree. If the same parameters were put into place, I bet the same percentage of addicts would result.

Honestly, it's kind of weird that the pharmaceutical companies haven't fought this fight harder. Let the chips fall where they may, so to speak.

I guess the healthcare czars win the war by trying to avoid covered rehab?

Old 05-07-2017, 06:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,655,373 times
Quote:
That's very true. Several years ago my step-son who was uninsured, had severe back pain so he went to a free clinic, where he was 'diagnosed' with a muscle strain and treated with a prescription for vicodin, when it didn't improve he went back 3 or 4 more times and the prescription was refilled. He finally told his dad (my husband) that he didn't know what to do because the pain kept getting worse. My husband took him to his doctor who ordered a CT scan and diagnosed him with metastasized testicular cancer, he died three weeks later at the age of 25.
OMG, that's tragic. I'm so sorry.

I admit the main reason I'm moving back to "civilization" (the SF Bay Area) is because my small rural area here has pretty bad health care. Nobody with any ambition stays here. So, this rural area anyway, ends up with the dregs.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:04 PM

42,885 posts, read 26,490,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
A sad story to be sure but at least he had enough painkillers at the end to pass away as comfortably as is possible with narcotics. Today it's an entirely different story with innumerable patients screaming in agony one out of every three hours according to some nurses who are on a strict schedule they can not violate no matter how loud the patient wails in excruciating pain. One nurse told the wife of a dying man who was begging for relief "I'm sorry. I feel for you, I really do. But my instructions are 'No morphine to be administered more frequently than every four hours.' " I'm so sorry." So even if the morphine wears off an hour early, the Dr. is too afraid the patient will get addicted to permit extra pain meds to be administered. Can you fathom the mentality??? The patient will be dead in a few weeks and the Dr. is worried the patient will get addicted!!!!!

Such stupidity just totally floors me.
I'm not sure where that's happening, I don't think it's common in California hospitals- at least not the ones I'm familiar with.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:32 PM

18,255 posts, read 17,004,279 times
Quote:
I'm not sure where that's happening, I don't think it's common in California hospitals- at least not the ones I'm familiar with.
This may or may not convince you. I'm betting on the latter:

Quote:
My husband is dying from liver/kidney failure...They discovered that a very low dose of hydromorphine (2 mg every 4 hours) along with draining some of the fluid and some physical therapy got him back on his feet...Now, the treatment that worked to keep him on his feet and semi-independent apparently isn’t allowed any more. He was sent to the Pain Clinic today. They informed him they do NOT give out pain medications and the doctor actually said “look at what happened to Prince”. He suggested 10 weeks of physical therapy, seeing a shrink to find out WHY he thinks he needs pain meds and continuing appointments for depression for uncontrolled pain. All of this is suggested treatment in lieu of $25 worth of pills that would have lasted him an entire month.
https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2016...ioid-warnings/

Think this is just an isolated incident? Look....again.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:06 AM

42,885 posts, read 26,490,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
This may or may not convince you. I'm betting on the latter:
https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2016...ioid-warnings/
Think this is just an isolated incident? Look....again.
I am not arguing, all I said was that it seems that this crackdown on opioid prescriptions seems like it might be regional. My next door neighbor had a partial knee replacement about 6 weeks ago and he had no problem getting pain relievers, in fact he was pretty much taking them like they were candy. I do think that with the mindset of this administration it will probably become nearly impossible to obtain these drugs for chronic pain in the future, but for now it looks like people should be able to obtain their prescriptions and the biggest problem might be physicians thinking the CDC advisory constitutes new law rather than just guidance.

https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stor...oid-guidelines

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/...e1.htm#B1_down

Please don't think that because I offered my opinion that I don't think it's a good idea to treat long term chronic pain with opioids that I condone anyone losing access to their drugs. It's an individual decision and I harbor no ill will toward people who have decided that is how they need to deal with chronic pain, I'm not on a crusade to take anyone's drugs away from them, ok?

Old 05-08-2017, 12:20 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,706,503 times
Well. . . . I hear you can order meds from Canada. There's also Mexico. . .

Old 05-08-2017, 07:00 AM

244 posts, read 237,066 times
I admit I didn't read this entire thread but I have two points. I heard that this opioid epidemic only involves a small percentage of the population. That only 20% of the population is prone to be addicted to opioids and 80% can take a prescription of pain meds with no real problem stopping after the prescription runs out. I am no sure where I heard that statistic but my and my wife's and everyone I know really experience bears that out. So, if true, 80% of American are condemned to live with pain for the sake of a few with addictive personalities.

I thank god I discovered CBD oil to treat pain. It is not as effective as an opioid but it's not an NSAID.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:29 AM

35,221 posts, read 31,555,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Again, I disagree. If the same parameters were put into place, I bet the same percentage of addicts would result.

Honestly, it's kind of weird that the pharmaceutical companies haven't fought this fight harder. Let the chips fall where they may, so to speak.

I guess the healthcare czars win the war by trying to avoid covered rehab?
I wouldn't be surprised to see big pharma jump in on this.

Conceptually, yeah, it's really no different than alcohol or any other drug, but the problem comes in with its addictiveness. When people get addicted to opoids, they have to have it. With the opoids being restricted by prescription only, they'll get it by any means necessary. That's where you get the rash of pharmacy robberies, burglaries, etc.

I know people who enjoy smoking marijuana heavily and alcoholics, but I don't know any pothead or alcoholic burglarizing pot dispensaries, liquor stores, etc.

Ultimately I don't think that drug rehab ought to be covered by insurance. People need to take some responsibility and police their own behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement