Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 06:14 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I don't comprehend why anyone would retire in another country.
As I noted, my friend sets up in Nicaragua because he can live right on the ocean on the cheap. No tourists. Not a lot of rules and laws.

I've questioned him about the unrest in the country and he says it isn't where he is at and he's had zero issues. No one harassing him over smoking a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 06:58 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
I do believe it comes down to personal comfort levels. Some people are comfortable living in a foreign country while others aren't.
For myself, I have dual citizenship with a very small European country (Rep of San Marino) but wasn't born there although I spent much of my childhood there and can speak Italian fairly well. I already have a passport from there and can move there anytime I want to. Still, I don't do it because it just feels kind of uncomfortable to me. I would always be looked at as a foreigner and even though it's Western Europe, has a very high GDP, universal healthcare, I can't picture myself living there permanently.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/e...ino/san-marino

Old 06-12-2019, 11:52 AM

795 posts, read 1,009,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Please.Costa Rica is safer than the US.
Please, the two cannot be compared.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:47 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As I noted, my friend sets up in Nicaragua because he can live right on the ocean on the cheap. No tourists. Not a lot of rules and laws.

I've questioned him about the unrest in the country and he says it isn't where he is at and he's had zero issues. No one harassing him over smoking a bit.
"Not a lot of rules and laws" has both pluses and minuses, and the minuses can be pretty damn minus. As for unrest in the country not reaching him, what if it does? We have protests in USA, but nothing like they experienced in Nicaragua last year. It's a completely different level of civil unrest that shouldn't be dismissed as easily as not in my neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Please, the two cannot be compared.
I'm not even sure where this comment is going, I assume you think one is so far superior the comparison is ludicrous but I'm not sure which country it is.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
"Not a lot of rules and laws" has both pluses and minuses, and the minuses can be pretty damn minus. As for unrest in the country not reaching him, what if it does? We have protests in USA, but nothing like they experienced in Nicaragua last year. It's a completely different level of civil unrest that shouldn't be dismissed as easily as not in my neighborhood.
His choice to make.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:39 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Costa Rica is an amazing country. You can jump on a bus and go across the country and feel completely safe. The bus might make a stop or two at a little roadside stand where everyone can step off and grab a bite and stretch their legs. People in that country are respectful of others. We walked all over downtown San Jose at night, no concerns, and we're not naive travelers.

I could live there, I think.

As they say in Costa Rica, Pura Vida.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:47 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I do believe it comes down to personal comfort levels. Some people are comfortable living in a foreign country while others aren't.
For myself, I have dual citizenship with a very small European country (Rep of San Marino) but wasn't born there although I spent much of my childhood there and can speak Italian fairly well. I already have a passport from there and can move there anytime I want to. Still, I don't do it because it just feels kind of uncomfortable to me. I would always be looked at as a foreigner and even though it's Western Europe, has a very high GDP, universal healthcare, I can't picture myself living there permanently.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/e...ino/san-marino
I don't have the dual citizenship, but it's there for the asking anytime I want it. But I have no desire to live in Europe. I wouldn't know anyone and I've forgotten the language, so there would be that hurdle. I'm a first generation American who has traveled all over the world and I have no interest in living anywhere else. I'm staying put here. And like you, I would always be considered an outsider, especially since I'm retired military.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:56 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Costa Rica is an amazing country. You can jump on a bus and go across the country and feel completely safe. The bus might make a stop or two at a little roadside stand where everyone can step off and grab a bite and stretch their legs. People in that country are respectful of others. We walked all over downtown San Jose at night, no concerns, and we're not naive travelers.

I could live there, I think.

As they say in Costa Rica, Pura Vida.
those at the embassy don't agree.

https://cr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...at-from-crime/

Old 06-13-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm glad you had a great time and agree Costa Rica is relatively safe (especially compared to rest of Central America) but San Jose does have some areas best avoided, especially at night.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
But I have no desire to live in Europe. I wouldn't know anyone and I've forgotten the language, so there would be that hurdle.
I couldn't live in Europe year round either because it's too cold. We're here May-Sep, then fleeing when temps start to drop to a ride out the winter in a warmer continent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement