Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 06:31 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times

Advertisements

I read another thread on here recently about a broken arm. I broke my foot and ankle back in early February 2017 and it was a clean break but even so, I had the cast, the boot, the brace and then physical therapy (which is great).

However, I have not been able to walk as I was doing and the pounds have come back on.

I also remember my mom telling me when my dad needed to quit smoking, he put hard candy in his pocket when he would reach for a cigarette and that stopped him. He didn't smoke for that long but he got into it back in WW II and then college.

I have actually missed walking and just took my first mile today - I have been working up to that mile for 10 days.

So, time flies. I just didn't think almost 5 months later, my foot and ankle would still not be 100% so I've got to hustle. I have to go to an event exactly 7 weeks from now and I need to get healthy and lose some weight.

Any ideas? Any strategies like what my dad did that worked for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 06:54 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
You can only do what you are able. Maximize what you can do. Push your limits with care. Don't be afraid.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:04 PM

Smile Also asking....

for some strategies to stay away from the bad stuff? What has worked for you?

My husband is only about 10 pounds heavier than when we were married and he went to Weight Watchers in high school and lost 75 pounds. Then, he also grew to about 6'3" so that helped also. It doesn't matter if we get home at 2 AM, he has to have his vegetables.

And if it hasn't worked for you, what have others you know tried? I'm not interested in any pills; just want to do it right which I had started doing just before the foot break.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:16 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Have you tried apps like MyFitnessPal which help track the calories and nutritional content of what you eat? It can sync with Fitbit or other fitness trackers to help keep you aware of what you are accomplishing (or not). I have found it helpful to track sugar, sodium and carbs (as well as protein, fiber) as well as calories in. When you see how much of a chunk those treats and other things take from your daily calorie allowance, they dont seem nearly as appealing (in my experience anyway).

What about other exercises that may not stress your foot and ankle as much? Swimming, using the recumbent bicycle at the gym, hand weights etc.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:21 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
At 61, with weight battles all my life, my son had me get on the ketogenic diet. I has been absolutely a god-send. Google it.

I've lost 26.5 pounds in three months, no more killing myself at the gym or starvation diets.

After I retire I plan to do some weight lifting.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:07 PM

Smile Great ideas

I will do a Fitbit type app; great idea.

I did print out the Keto plan. Most is good but I'm not a good fruit eater. I did try Paleo a couple of years ago and liked that.

Keto looks like it will start me out which it what I need.

I did drink a healthy shake so maybe I could drink that at night; eat the salmon (love it) at lunch, etc.

I need to work on not eating after 8 PM.

I work really late usually (1-2 AM) so sometimes we get home and are hungry.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:52 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
One thing I like to do is to keep premade mahi or salmon burgers from Sam's in the freezer. These can be taken out of the freezer, they're pre-pressed, and grilled on this George Foreman like grill I use all the time.

As a teenager and early college student, I was a serious weightlifter. The best shape I've ever been in has been making foods that were simple to make and eat - frozen bags of mixed veggies, salads from the salad bar, lean meats (lots of tuna steaks, chicken breasts, turkey burgers, etc.). Eating like this doesn't take a lot of preparation or fuss, but it's very healthy.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:55 PM

Smile Thank you....

Good idea.

My husband can't stand fish (can you believe he's a native Floridian) so to get it out of way in 1 day would be good.....then he would not have to deal with it (the smell).

I actually love fish. All kinds.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:07 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Firstly, you need to heal your foot.

Then you need to start moving.

Right now I would suggest water aerobics. Start with that and move forward.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:43 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
I've been eating mostly fish and fresh fruits on my vacation. A bit of exercise, nothing strenuous and I lost weight or tone down already. I bought a size 8 pants for my vacation and it's already too loose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement