Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:49 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

AARP magazine had a good article this month on Social Security Spousal Benefits.

One of the most overlooked and little used benefits is the Spousal Benefit. Many people who do not qualify for anything or much from Social Security based on their own work record, can still qualify for Spousal Benefits based on their spouses work record.

Quote:
Answer

Question

My wife doesn't have enough work to qualify for Social Security or Medicare. Can she qualify on my record?

Answer

The question you've raised applies to husbands as well as wives. Even if he or she has never worked under Social Security, your spouse at full retirement age can receive a benefit equal to one-half of your full retirement amount. (If your spouse will receive a pension for work not covered by Social Security such as government foreign employment, the amount of his or her Social Security benefits on your record may be reduced. Take a look at the fact sheet, Government Pension Offset for more information.)

Your spouse can begin collecting the benefits as early as age 62, but the amount will be permanently reduced by a percentage based on the number of months up to his or her full retirement age. Your spouse who is caring for your child who is also receiving benefits can receive the full one-half benefit amount no matter what his or her age is. Your spouse would receive these benefits until the child reaches age 16. At that time, the child's benefits continue, but your spouse's benefits stop unless he or she is old enough to receive retirement benefits (age 62 or older) or survivor benefits as a widow or widower (age 60).

If your spouse has also worked under Social Security--If your spouse is eligible for retirement benefits on his or her own record, we will always pay that amount first. But if the spouse benefit on your record is a higher amount, he or she will get a combination of benefits that equals that higher amount. It doesn't matter if your spouse starts getting benefits before, after, or at the same time you do--we will check both records to make sure that your spouse gets the higher amount whenever he or she becomes entitled to it.

NOTE: A spouse cannot begin receiving benefits until the number holder is receiving benefits.
Social Security website FAQ - Spousal Benefits

You can apply for retirement or spousal benefits online Applying for Social Security Benefits - Welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,464 times
I am full retirement age and so is my x-husband. SS has advised me that I can receive my SS or half of his, which ever is higher. Mine is higher than half of his. I asked about the combination of benefits to equal his higher SS benefit and they looked at me like a deer in the headlight. At this point, SS has me as receiving only my benefits which are lower than his.
"If your spouse has also worked under Social Security--If your spouse is eligible for retirement benefits on his or her own record, we will always pay that amount first. But if the spouse benefit on your record is a higher amount, he or she will get a combination of benefits that equals that higher amount. It doesn't matter if your spouse starts getting benefits before, after, or at the same time you do--we will check both records to make sure that your spouse gets the higher amount whenever he or she becomes entitled to it."

Last edited by savannahrenee; 02-09-2015 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: Add information

Old 02-09-2015, 09:03 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
You would be entitled to his higher amt when he dies.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:28 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
You don't get to combine benefits. They explained it exactly how it is. You get either your entire benefit, or half of his, whichever is higher. You said your benefit is higher than half of his, so that is what you get.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:30 AM

477 posts, read 508,940 times
If you are divorced, I believe you have to have been married for at least 10 years for even that to kick in.

If not, let me know - I'm pretty sure half of his benefits would be more than what I get, LOL!

EDIT: NOPE! It's 10 years. Which is what I thought.

I only managed 75% of that, LOL!

Old 02-09-2015, 10:46 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savannahrenee View Post
"--If your spouse is eligible for retirement benefits on his or her own record, we will always pay that amount first. But if the spouse benefit on your record is a higher amount, he or she will get a combination of benefits that equals that higher amount. It doesn't matter if your spouse starts getting benefits before, after, or at the same time you do--we will check both records to make sure that your spouse gets the higher amount whenever he or she becomes entitled to it."
"The spouse benefit on your record" in that statement refers to the base spousal benefit, which is half of the worker's primary benefit.

Since you and he are both FRA, you have the choice to file for spousal (1/2 his) or your own benefit. One reason you might consider filing for spousal is that the amount of your own benefit then would continue to increase by approx. 8% every year you delay filing for it, up until age 70. So if you wait until you're 70, you can then file for benefits on your own record and your benefit will be approx. 32% higher.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 02-09-2015 at 10:56 AM..

Old 02-09-2015, 12:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Starting this month, I am collecting my spousal benefits. And hopefully that will let me wait till I am FRA or older to collect my own SS. And yes, mine is higher than half of his benefit.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:39 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Since you and he are both FRA, you have the choice to file for spousal (1/2 his) or your own benefit. One reason you might consider filing for spousal is that the amount of your own benefit then would continue to increase by approx. 8% every year you delay filing for it, up until age 70. So if you wait until you're 70, you can then file for benefits on your own record and your benefit will be approx. 32% higher.
Can you find that documented anywhere? A friend of mine just mentioned that to me but I can't find anything about it on the website.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:41 PM

That doesnt make sense. I dont think you can collect spousal benefits if they are less than yours. Tho Im not sure on that.

You are seriously reducing future benefits by taking spousal benefits before full retirement age.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:42 PM

Retirement Planner: Delayed Retirement Credits

Understanding "Free Spousal" Benefits | Social Security Choices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement