Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 06:31 AM

4,284 posts, read 5,946,500 times

Advertisements

Over the past two or three years I have noticed:

- a near complete absence of Thanksgiving themed decorations in local stores; even paper plates, napkins and tablecloths
- Christmas decorations are displayed and sold prior to Halloween (where are the Thanksgiving items?)
- from listening to multiple conversations, it seems that no one under the age of 60 serves as the Host or primary cook for the traditional family Thanksgiving dinner. In many cases 80+ year-old family matriarchs are still expected to handle this chore!
- the Thanksgiving Weekend has degraded into a Wednesday night Bar Scene, followed by a four-day shopping event

My wife and I are projecting that within another generation, Thanksgiving Weekend will exist only as a four-day shopping weekend for Christmas, following a practice run for New Year's Eve drinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 06:42 AM

12,064 posts, read 10,292,934 times
Don't forget football. So many people attend games that day. I was wondering how the players felt about that.

It is also a go to the movies day.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:52 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,310,998 times
It's a day off work for me, as is today and there is plenty of NFL football on- so LONG LIVE THANKSGIVING.
And on a serious note, it's a good holiday because it is about stopping and thanking God for what you have. A good thing.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:54 AM

24,565 posts, read 18,314,501 times
Other than grocery stores, Thanksgiving isn’t a big retail event. Christmas is the huge event with all the giant advertising and marketing budget.

For me, Thanksgiving is a friends and family gathering.

Oh, and happy Black Friday, the kickoff of a month promoting excessive consumer spending.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:58 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,037,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Don't forget football. So many people attend games that day. I was wondering how the players felt about that.
I don't see how football is an indication that Thanksgiving is a dying holiday. On the contrary, it has been one of the most traditional aspects of Thanksgiving for the past century. The NFL has played games on Thanksgiving ever since its inception in 1920.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:56 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,325,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Over the past two or three years I have noticed:

- a near complete absence of Thanksgiving themed decorations in local stores; even paper plates, napkins and tablecloths
- Christmas decorations are displayed and sold prior to Halloween (where are the Thanksgiving items?)
- from listening to multiple conversations, it seems that no one under the age of 60 serves as the Host or primary cook for the traditional family Thanksgiving dinner. In many cases 80+ year-old family matriarchs are still expected to handle this chore!
- the Thanksgiving Weekend has degraded into a Wednesday night Bar Scene, followed by a four-day shopping event

My wife and I are projecting that within another generation, Thanksgiving Weekend will exist only as a four-day shopping weekend for Christmas, following a practice run for New Year's Eve drinking.
None of the bullets really apply in our case

Our family gets together each Thanksgiving somewhere back in our home roots area. The younger generation does the cooking, son & son in law fried the turkey my daughter and daughter in law did all else. I let the grandchildren entertain me and kept conversation with my 90 year old mother going.

It wasn't a matter of decorations or matching plates but was a family get together and it probably will continue at some level in the generation upcoming. We kept a bonfire going, marshmallows and all. Some football and today the exodus to each home begins

However, these Thanksgivings are much more informal than those I hosted in my day. And shopping isn't a big thing with us. And there will be Christmas concerts and displays in our home locations. We all live in different places so maybe that is why Thanksgiving is a family thankful get together.

So don't give up hope, maybe Thanksgiving is changing and evolving but will still be here in a form

Old 11-24-2017, 09:19 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,894,643 times
I don't think it's the Norman Rockwell painting of the family unit sitting around the dinner table anymore. Everyone is too busy being self absorbed glued to their machines.

As in all things, it is what you make it to be.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:21 AM

11,147 posts, read 9,787,270 times
I don't see it dying at all.

For me, the only bullet in the OP that is correct is that Christmas decorations were out right after Halloween. Thanksgiving isn't a big decorating holiday, so that's understandable. I see plenty of fall themed wreaths, centerpieces, paper plates, tablecloths, potholders, kitchen towels, etc in the stores along-side the Christmas stuff. I put up general fall decorations (autumn leaves, pumpkins, cornucopia, etc, not scary Halloween type) in early October and they stay up until a day after Thanksgiving.

Our family had always gotten together as one big group, but that got to be unwieldy when it reached 3-4 generations and in excess of 25 people. It's hard to seat that many folks, so it started to break down into smaller nuclear family groups. Which was just as well since my brothers and I were getting tired of footing the whole bill and doing most, if not all, of the cooking. Now the generation behind us...the early 40-late 30's age group are hosting smaller dinners, and it's hard because we can't attend all of them, and sometimes that was the only time each year that we might see the grand-nieces and grand-nephews. But between multiple dinners on Thursday and Friday, and the various Christmas get-togethers, we are managing. Now that I'm out of state, I only get to attend in years that I fly home. We have Thanksgiving now with the good friends we've made here in TN.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
Is Thanksgiving a dying holiday??

Yup.... my EMT friends and our EMT kids report a lot of deaths at the table / family events.

Rough day.

Still may favorite holiday, with... woodstove, hand pressed and blended cider, desserts, smoked turkey, extended family...no TV....

Flew between two families / dinners thus yr (as I have done for holidays the last few yrs)

Old 11-24-2017, 09:41 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,913,913 times
I think Thanksgiving will soon surpass Christmas as family get-together time. It's secular and no gift-giving stress, either. It's all about FOOD...that's a good thing. And giving thanks, another good thing.

I've been retired 15 years but I see more and more family/friends who are in the workforce getting more and more time off at Thanksgiving. When I worked it was a one-day holiday. About 10 years ago it became a 4 day weekend with Friday almost universally a holiday.

This year, one of my niece's office closed all day Wednesday; 2 other relatives said half-day Wednesday is common closing time for the past few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement