Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 08:02 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,774 times

Advertisements

My name is a fairly common American name. It's on statues, memorials, and awards. I just tell people they were named for me. I'm already famous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 08:18 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Sometimes a person's legacy can be in something they did that influenced another's life, for good or bad; as a shining example, or as cautionary tale. Someone very dear to me was lost 20 years ago, and I think of her everyday. She has left a mark on me that has changed my life for the better, although not in the way that most people would expect. Her memory holds a mirror to my face and allows me to see myself in stark clarity. Because of her, I can see what could be, and sometimes she saves me from myself.

I hope that someone will remember me in a way that helps them in some way in their life, or maybe inspires them to be strong and rise to their personal challenges. I think that's the best I can hope for, and that's enough.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:31 PM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
As we age, we often begin to reminisce and consider this and that from our past. The things we regret doing. The opportunities we missed. The things we wished we doubled down on. The things we avoided that we're extremely fortunate we did.

I just got back from a house party at the house of a gentleman in his 60s I've known for many years. He runs a country deli, making most of his income off of tenderloin biscuits and fried chicken lunches, but he is an extremely well-connected man in our community. He comes from a "fine old family," and his brother was also there tonight. His brother is prominent executive in Nashville. They were talking about the heritage and legacy of the family name. Neither have any sons - five daughters between them.

At this age, they're beginning to think of their posterity. What they leave behind. What people think of them and what they've done with their lives. Their lives are mostly written. In general, they seem satisfied. Many people age with many regrets.

What do you want to leave behind? What do you want people to think about you? What do you THINK you're REALLY leaving behind?
what am i leaving behind?
nothing

the essence of who i am, my soul i take with me and this stays with me. it is eternal. i will romp and play on the other side of the veil, when i get there, surround by love and loved ones, until i decide to come back and do it again.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:18 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Yep, we head into obscurity after our children or grandchildren are gone, but without those, then your gone and that's it.
Fine by me. We are a very very tiny blip in an unimaginably large universe and amount of time.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:46 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,743,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Fine by me. We are a very very tiny blip in an unimaginably large universe and amount of time.
Yes when you really think about the age of the earth & how many people have come & gone since, you realize not only is one's lifetime a mere nano second in time but that we truly are just one granule of sand on a vast beach. Life is so fast so enjoy it to the best of your abilities and do not squander the time you have-

Old 10-24-2017, 07:08 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
I don't care about leaving a "legacy" other than being proud of raising two healthy, successful, loving sons.

As to regrets about lost "opportunities" or past mistakes, I have none. Things were not perfect in my life and I made many stupid mistakes, but even one change in my decision making in the past could have changed the trajectory of my life and prevented me from the content life I enjoy now.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:51 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
I love my kids and grandkids but I have never felt like the mere act of reproduction was worth a lot of credit. The world already has enough people who merely exist. If I have value for my kids it is in setting an example as to how one can grow and achieve beyond the commonplace existence.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:11 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
This all is starting to remind me of one of my old favorites by the group Kansas:

Dust In The Wind

I close my eyes, only for a moment, and the moment's gone
All my dreams pass before my eyes, a curiosity
Dust in the wind
All they are is dust in the wind
Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do crumbles to the ground though we refuse to see
Dust in the wind
All we are is dust in the wind
Oh, ho, ho
Now, don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
It slips away, and all your money won't another minute buy
Dust in the wind
Dust in the wind
Everything is dust in the wind
Everything is dust in the wind
The wind
Songwriters: KERRY LIVGREN, KERRY A LIVGREN
© Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

Old 10-24-2017, 08:21 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
[quote=TheShadow;49914020]This all is starting to remind me of one of my old favorites by the group Kansas:
[b]
Dust In The Wind

Love that song and think it's really accurate. Soothing, somehow. "We" are not alone in these feelings.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:29 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
There is an affluent local couple here who has donated significantly to the YMCA and other charitable efforts. The YMCA is named the "John and Joe Doe YMCA." While most of us are not that affluent, that's the kind of thing I was thinking of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement