Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 10:32 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,600 times

Advertisements

I'm still decades away from retirement, but it's never to early to get prepared.

Maybe retiring in Mexico or some other Hispanic country will make sense in the future, but I don't speak Spanish at all. Is it a worthwhile investment to spend half an hour everyday to learn Spanish?

Thai is also an option.

Any thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 10:38 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
Being bilingual is always worthwhile regardless of where you plan to retire.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:02 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Learning a new language opens up new ways to think and can only be an asset even in your career. If you become fluent you have many options open to you in retirement.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Learning a new language opens up new ways to think and can only be an asset even in your career. If you become fluent you have many options open to you in retirement.
Given that I'm fairly old, I don't think I can be fluent in Spanish. Also, my career doesn't require foreign language skills.

So, my sole purpose of learning a new language is for retirement. I have a hard time deciding between Spanish and Thai. I visited Thai two years ago and I absolutely loved it! But there are many Spanish speaking countries out there but only one Thai speaking country.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:22 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I'm still decades away from retirement, but it's never to early to get prepared.

Maybe retiring in Mexico or some other Hispanic country will make sense in the future, but I don't speak Spanish at all. Is it a worthwhile investment to spend half an hour everyday to learn Spanish?

Thai is also an option.

Any thought?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Given that I'm fairly old, I don't think I can be fluent in Spanish. Also, my career doesn't require foreign language skills.

So, my sole purpose of learning a new language is for retirement. I have a hard time deciding between Spanish and Thai. I visited Thai two years ago and I absolutely loved it! But there are many Spanish speaking countries out there but only one Thai speaking country.
Given that you say you're still decades from retirement, you can't be that old. At least not old enough to say that you're too old to learn a second language. BTW, you seem to be contradicting yourself in your second post above wherein you state in your first paragraph that you're too old to become fluent in Spanish, but then say in your second paragraph that you want to learn to speak Spanish (or Thai). Regardless of the contradiction or the language that you choose to study, I think that learning a second language is a wonderful idea.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Given that you say you're still decades from retirement, you can't be that old. At least not old enough to say that you're too old to learn a second language. BTW, you seem to be contradicting yourself in your second post above wherein you state in your first paragraph that you're too old to become fluent in Spanish, but then say in your second paragraph that you want to learn to speak Spanish (or Thai). Regardless of the contradiction or the language that you choose to study, I think that learning a second language is a wonderful idea.
My expectation is sort of low. Basic proficiency that allows for simple communication will be good enough.

Being fluent doesn't seem very realistic. Anyway, starting right now is better than 30 years later.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:05 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,526,346 times
I suspect Spanish would be a lot easier than Thai. if you wanted an Asian language, Indonesian is quite easy in structure and grammar.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
I suspect Spanish would be a lot easier than Thai. if you wanted an Asian language, Indonesian is quite easy in structure and grammar.
Thailand is an awesome place to live, but I can't comment on Indonesia since I've never visited it yet.

I plan to visit at least one Spanish speaking country next year to see if I like the vibe.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:44 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Also, for Spanish, where you may want to retire is important. The language is somewhat different between Mexico and Spain. Not unintelligible to each other but FYI.

I’m in the process of learning other languages for fun. Speak two well, and understand two others somewhat, but would love to know a half dozen.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:30 AM

11,138 posts, read 9,769,935 times
It's a lot easier to find people in the U.S. willing to let you practice your Spanish on them than Thai. And there are often times in the U.S. where being English/Spanish bilingual could come in handy. You could possibly communicate better with recently immigrated employees, or translate for someone else when a need arises. Also it's helpful if you think people are talking about you in Spanish when they think you don't understand. Usually they're not talking about you, but for some reason people get paranoid and think they are, especially if they laugh after making comments in a foreign language. Seems like many people assume it's a joke at their expense. It reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld where the manicurists were speaking Korean and making fun of Elaine.

Last edited by TheShadow; 11-20-2017 at 07:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement