Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 05:33 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times

Advertisements

Still working but naturally wake up between 4 and 6.......sometimes before 4 and rarely at 7. When I wake I am really ready to get out of bed. I am very leisurely (HATE to rush). I usually have coffee, play on the web on my chromebook while reclining on the couch, may read a book, watch the news, do laundry, wash the floor, whatever. The point is very leisurely.
love this part of the day. have always been an early riser and don't remember ever using an alarm ,
Well maybe for a super early flight or something like that........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 04:31 PM

44 posts, read 77,530 times
I posted back on page 8 but will add based on current posts.

I still wake up early, 4-5 even if the dogs don't insist. We do quite a lot of short 1-3 night trips, usually with the dogs, but if the destinations would not allow dogs we leave them with a friend that they enjoy. On these trips I think, ahhh I'll sleep in, but never do even if I am up late. I don't mind since I am like the poster above, love the early mornings. The open air markets here in our village in Thailand open at 4:30 to 5. I enjoy getting there early and seeing the days offering and buying what we need. There is also a good reason that those who have seen open markets will understand. Beef (what little we get here), pork and chicken is not refrigerated, or kept on ice. Thailand is a warm climate so later in the day I won't buy meats. The wife (who is Thai) says this has been going on since the dawn of time and there are still a lot of Thai's that are alive, but I refuse. Fish, shrimp and other seafood is generally kept on ice all day. in our town/village fishing is a common occupation so the freshness, and variety, is great (if you go early). Yesterday, for example, we got a kilo (2.2 lbs) of fresh, still kicking, jumbo shrimp for 400 baht (about $12) they BBQ'd nicely!!

I also still find myself rushing things as if I have something better to do! The gym is a good example, I find myself rushing through a workout as if I need to get ready for work, I have to force myself to slow down and enjoy it (well as much as possible when working out).

So after a few years I am still getting accustomed to retirement but so far, no complaints!!

Old 12-18-2017, 06:30 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinho View Post
I posted back on page 8 but will add based on current posts.
If you have more than just over 3 pages at this point in time, you're doing it wrong.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:26 PM

23 posts, read 14,815 times
7:00 am wake up, shower, get dressed, feed dogs, do laundry.
8:00 am cook and eat breakfast, read news, play with dogs.
9:00 am choose a hobby and work on it. Choices are DIY home handyman, writ on my book, ride my motorcycle, work at volunteer organization.
12:00. Noon Eat lunch--usually eat out--but not always.
1:00. Pm Continue with morning's activity.
3:00. Pm Snack time!
3:30 pm Continue morning's activity.
5:00 pm Sit in my lounger: Facebook, forms, surf internet.
6:00 pm cook and serve dinner.
7:00 pm watch TV--usualy the DVR
9:30 pm read. I normally read 50 books a year, some of each genre.
11:00 pm (or so). Sleep.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:28 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
"Sometimes I sets and thinks, other times I jest set."

Old 12-20-2017, 04:00 AM

45,399 posts, read 60,592,880 times
This time of year, go goose hunting 3 or 4 days a week. Getting ready to go right now as soon as I finish breakfast.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:57 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
We are rehabbing an old hacienda in Central Mexico. Honing our language skills as we deal with the workers. Going out to dinner every night. Now that Feliz Navidad is upon us, we delight in learning more about the local culture, including nightly posadas where local kids reenact Mary and Joseph (and burro) looking for an inn. They ride up and down our village streets, knocking on (pre-arranged) doors and being turned away, until one lets them in. Then the party begins, as pinatas fly!

Old 12-21-2017, 06:25 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
OK!
But..just what do you want?
Say you like to walk the dog or ride your bike...how long do you walk the dog for?
How far do you ride the bike?
say it takes you 1 hour to walk the dog and you go for a 2 hour bike ride.....
What do you do for the remaining 21 hours in the day?(deduct 8 for sleep)..13 hrs..
and then what do you do the next day...and the next??
This stuff makes me anxious!!!
When it came to Mom's dogs, it could be as long as the great explorer wanted.....and boy, did she like to explore! Mom had two dogs and for the other one, a walk consisted of no more than from the back door to the curb and back. The Great Explorer, however, was very ambitious!

Another thing one has to consider with dogs is that there are, at least, two walks in a day. So that is at least 2 hours, if not more.

By the way, Mom's Great Explorer was a mini Rat Terrier....I understand other dogs such as heelers have a lot more energy that need a lot more time.

Now, two things that are needed for my sanity are my diaries and then, the ability to print out the pictures that reflect my thoughts. Usually I do the latter at work, with its Net access, but if that were cut off, then I would need at least the printer and could at least go off of stored data.

BUT....YES, I wonder what other people do all day as well. Inspirationally, I dream about what someone like Ann Turkel or Lalla Ward does. I don't have those answers from the realistic world, but I wonder and then create from there.

While it isn't the direct answer, this might give some hints: https://www.amazon.com/Living-Alone-.../dp/0743235177
(yes, that Barbara Feldon). I have partially read the book (and now it is lost in the move), so I can't say exactly, though.

Got to run, taking Gizzy to the family doctor.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:47 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Yeah, I'm pretty sure 10 out of yesterdays 16 waking hours was spent on the dogs. They would NOT leave me alone. Side effect of the rain and them not doing anything besides terrorizing me.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-21-2017, 08:58 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Another thing.

After my Father's Mother died, the family got my Grandfather into Yorkies and into showing dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement