Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 10:25 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,854,805 times

Advertisements

Throughout my career, I regularly worked with technology, but, quickly discovered more new technology was being developed - than I could keep track of. I also found that unless I regularly used a particular technology or program, I quickly forgot it's nuances.

The same holds true in retirement, except now I no longer bother to learn things I don't intend to use on a regular basis. Instead, I now ask my adult children, who are motivated by their careers to know the answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 10:27 AM

6,141 posts, read 4,626,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
1. Non intuitive interface is usually the fault of the designer.

2. Apple USED to be the usability king. But the desire for minimalism has made them less discoverable.

3. Sometimes there are just too many functions.
I try to post video links sparingly, but the following parody, which is on the topic of the OP, really rings true for Apple!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA

Old 12-23-2017, 12:48 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,609,224 times
Too many app producers "enhance" the appearance of their apps to keep them looking new. It's a huge PITA, I think. I wish they'd quit doing that.

And yeah - since it's now much easier to create an app, people are doing it who have had zero education in user interface design. I could mess with the updated functionality to figure out how it works, but I no longer bother. If I have trouble doing something, I just search online for a description of how to do it.

I'm guessing many older people are (and always were) similarly capable, but unwilling to mess with something just because it's "new and improved".

Old 12-23-2017, 12:52 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,296,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Un-intuitive or just poor design? I am amazed at the poor ergonomics and design of most devices, software and apps. Try to hand your cellphone to someone or to change hands on your own phone. There is no where to touch the phone without changing something. There is a touch screen and the edges have additional control buttons.

I am flabbergasted at the design of my most recent semi-pro DSLR camera. Canon has been making cameras for years and the new camera is full of unnecessary stuff but lacks essentials that were on my old camera. The details are too esoteric to explain here but every photographer must just shake their head in disbelief.

A couple of years ago I needed a small laptop to take on an extended vacation. I could only find them with Windows 8. Microsoft has thousands and thousands of employees and a long history and virtual monopoly in designing computer operating systems. No doubt about it, Windows 8 was a disaster that Microsoft had to replace as soon as possible. How could they be that incompetent?
if you have an iPhone - touch the side button to put it to "sleep" when you hand it off. I have an otter box cover on mine so have to press firmly. The side button is opposite the volume buttons.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:52 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,559,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I find functions in the new smart phones un-intuitive to me.
they really aren't intuitive to anyone...

even the developers who make the OS, that is why they have so many redundant options/menus... they remade it because they forgot about the old menu, or didn't like it but couldn't be bothered to remove it after updating it

all the apps do is organize it into something people can learn to follow, it's like a maze, once you learn all the turns you can ignore the rest of it and still get to the exit

Old 12-23-2017, 01:42 PM

5,333 posts, read 6,034,058 times
Quote:
I find functions in the new smart phones un-intuitive to me. Believe it or not, I used have website usability as part of my work duties, so I thought I'm somewhat tech savvy.

Makes me think of the times when we laugh at our grandparents for not knowing how the remote control works.

Am I getting there myself? I'm (only?) 50.
Yes.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:52 PM

48,570 posts, read 34,949,541 times
I'm your age and I'm fine with 90% of apps, I have some for camera use (sun position forecasting for shoots, etc. that I am like "WTH????", but I know that's me), the rest of the time if I find it intuitive, I fault the designers.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-23-2017, 02:54 PM

3,331 posts, read 1,827,655 times
At least you can ignore apps you find unfriendly.

My new Lexus came with 700 page user manual.
..And that was separate from the 250 page guide to the Navigation System.
I must admit the safety alerts are wonderful and adaptive cruise control feels like it drives itself, which I guess it is.

But recently I panicked when a yellow warning light went on while driving.
So I pulled over, scoured the Big Book, and discovered that it wanted an oil change#$%!

I'm lucky I know how to start and stop the vehicle.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:29 PM

638 posts, read 530,584 times
Quote:
I find functions in the new smart phones un-intuitive to me. Believe it or not, I used have website usability as part of my work duties, so I thought I'm somewhat tech savvy.

Makes me think of the times when we laugh at our grandparents for not knowing how the remote control works.

Am I getting there myself? I'm (only?) 50.
There are certain big changes I always have to adjust to. I have never been a Windows person since I learned on Macs, but I can use them well and I recognize where Windows is valuable. But it's not "intuitive", no.

I think that you get old when you stop thinking, "I wonder how this works--oh, I wonder what if--" and start thinking "goll-darn newfangled devices!"

Old 12-23-2017, 03:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
A couple of years ago I needed a small laptop to take on an extended vacation. I could only find them with Windows 8. Microsoft has thousands and thousands of employees and a long history and virtual monopoly in designing computer operating systems. No doubt about it, Windows 8 was a disaster that Microsoft had to replace as soon as possible. How could they be that incompetent?
That's par for the course with MS.

Windows 95/98
Windows ME
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8
Windows 10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement