Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 03:35 PM

6,791 posts, read 5,521,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I find functions in the new smart phones un-intuitive to me. Believe it or not, I used have website usability as part of my work duties, so I thought I'm somewhat tech savvy.

Makes me think of the times when we laugh at our grandparents for not knowing how the remote control works.

Am I getting there myself? I'm (only?) 50.
I found there was a definite learning curve to learning my first smart phone 3 years ago.

Now it's intuitive to me.

What may NOT be intuitive is how some apps work.

Those I may have trouble adjusting to. But we all learned computers and a smart phone is just another computer. Just like learning a new OS, the smart phone apps are the same to learn.

Ps: I'm 54.

Pss: the thing I find most annoying is: damn autocorrect! Its forever changing things to NOT what i meant.
Ive learned if I type PENSION to be SURE it says PENSION, and NOT part of the male private anatamy!!!! It gave me a laugh the first time. But now it's a pain in the neck.
I have a friend who also gets the word GENTAL turned into a word similar thst means said privates of both sexes.
I just wish it really did correct spellings or typos the way it's supposed to

Last edited by galaxyhi; 12-23-2017 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 03:47 PM

11,122 posts, read 6,710,869 times
^^^ Well, to be fair, the word is spelled GENTLE, that might be part of that particular problem.

But, I totally agree with OP. More technology to make one feel inept....

Old 12-23-2017, 03:51 PM

48,589 posts, read 35,062,280 times
I hate how android corrects your words without asking, Iphone used to ask if you wanted it to be one of the words..... to me android is counter intuitive in that area, and irritating as heck.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-23-2017, 05:03 PM

6,421 posts, read 11,623,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I hate how android corrects your words without asking, Iphone used to ask if you wanted it to be one of the words..... to me android is counter intuitive in that area, and irritating as heck.
I haven't looked, but I'd bet there's a setting to turn that off. Hidden somewhere. Somewhere you'd never think to look for it . . .

Old 12-23-2017, 05:07 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,051,072 times
You can disable auto-correct.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:13 PM

6,320 posts, read 4,230,510 times
No,not part of getting old .

Old 12-23-2017, 06:00 PM

672 posts, read 445,407 times
There gets to a point when modern technology becomes some young persons video game.
I don't know what you are thinking when you designed this and I can't fallow along.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:09 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,845,803 times
Oh heck, I have a lot of friends both on this coast and East Coast who NEVER even got a desk top. I wanted my sister too for years but she never did. And she was 10 yrs younger than me and now she's gone. I feel they've missed somethings but who knows they did their lives as they chose.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:52 PM

48,589 posts, read 35,062,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I haven't looked, but I'd bet there's a setting to turn that off. Hidden somewhere. Somewhere you'd never think to look for it . . .
Yes, there is. I know where it is, I just want it to work differently.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-23-2017, 07:09 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I find functions in the new smart phones un-intuitive to me. Believe it or not, I used have website usability as part of my work duties, so I thought I'm somewhat tech savvy.

Makes me think of the times when we laugh at our grandparents for not knowing how the remote control works.

Am I getting there myself? I'm (only?) 50.
No.
The problem is this. Back in the old days we only had to know how ONE thing worked...our Mac or our PC. Now we have thousands of different user interfaces - many of them very bad - and we are expected to immediately know how to use them.

It's the lack of standards that is making things this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement