Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 12:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for this type of lifestyle...

a few folks of same values living on a large acreage with multiple homes.

reason...I want to travel and live abroad for long periods of time, but have always lived a rural lifestyle. It seems nice to have Shared gardens and greenbelts + shops / equip / cows... + having a few extra helping hands around. + being able to putter around the shop / garden into a passive old age seems better than golfing to me.

In our Current society, Meth heads / other sleezy folks will clean you out if you leave a farm vacant.

Any suggestions or referrals? (I've also considered 'donating' all my farm and construction equip to a Camp facility, with a provision for a cabin or apartment to stay in while I'm around.)

thx,
jb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 05:47 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
One source is Welcome to The Cohousing Association of the United States. The cohousing movement provides the sharedness you seem to be wanting. There are some advertised farming related groups that are new.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 9,144 times
Default Spiritwindfarm

Hi Thread, I own a 125 acre farm in Lebanon, Maine. I am in the process of clearing for pastures and crops. It needs a lot of work and I am thinking of doing a communal farm type thing. Maybe sellling a share of the land to people who want to live on a farm and participate in it but still have the opportunity to have the freedom to travel, etc. I would have to set up a contract that describes everything. You would own your own lot but also a share of the whole farm and anything it produces. Would you be interested in this type of thing. I figure 8-10 people each getting a lot of land from 2-4 acres each and a share of Spiritwind Farm, my 125 acre farm. We would work together to clear the land and prepare it for crops and whatever we all decide on. Let me know if this is something you are interested in. Kathy

quote=janb;1326236]I'm looking for this type of lifestyle...

reason...I want to travel and live abroad for long periods of time, but have always lived a rural lifestyle. It seems nice to have Shared gardens and greenbelts + shops / equip / cows... + having a few extra helping hands around. + being able to putter around the shop / garden into a passive old age seems better than golfing to me.

In our Current society, Meth heads / other sleezy folks will clean you out if you leave a farm vacant.

Any suggestions or referrals? (I've also considered 'donating' all my farm and construction equip to a Camp facility, with a provision for a cabin or apartment to stay in while I'm around.)

thx,
jb[/quote]

Old 10-12-2007, 12:57 PM

781 posts, read 3,817,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
One source is Welcome to The Cohousing Association of the United States. The cohousing movement provides the sharedness you seem to be wanting. There are some advertised farming related groups that are new.
Wow....I had never even heard of this I went to the link and bookmarked it for future reading. Interesting concept...thanks for the link.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:15 PM

5 posts, read 13,081 times
Default What ever happened with this, Stealthrabbit?

I see that you posted this in Aug 07, 4 yrs ago. Did I read it correctly that you were looking for like-minded people to share your farm with? What ever happened with this? It sounds ideal, perhaps too good. I'm just curious.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimanreturns View Post
I see that you posted this in Aug 07, 4 yrs ago. Did I read it correctly that you were looking for like-minded people to share your farm with? What ever happened with this? It sounds ideal, perhaps too good. I'm just curious.
You might try to find spiritwindfarm.

I'm not looking to Maine, but still looking.

A 'work-in-process'.
Lots has changed in the RE / Finance world since 2007 (actually making this concept more attractive, tho MANY folks are stuck in houses that won't sell)

Personally, I don't currently have a large enough acreage to support this, AND I live in a national scenic area that is patrolled by environmental wackos. They will 'visit' you the first day you start to paint or roof your house a different color, definitely not a place for a commune...

I will still pursue, as very low cost senior housing with privacy / rural quality of life will be my mainstay. I see there is much greater options in foreign countries, and since I am still 10 yrs away from medicare & 2014 Obamacare will likely force me to move overseas. (costs are projected to increase 30-50% + current low cost catastrophic healthcare will be eliminated. (all subject to change...))

Stay in touch. I have been tuning up my 'cooperative development' skills and have found several opportunities and much interest for senior communities / farms.

There is a better way than the typical USA mindset. (every rural neighbor has invested in the infrastructure to support a farm). I have developed 3 farms, each to be 'taxed' away. (Too expensive to farm when homes / cities encroach)

I'm old and tired.
I have built too many barns, sheds, fences, gates, orchards, water systems, bridges, done lengthy soil amendments, irrigation, PERMITS ...

Old 09-20-2011, 04:39 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

thx,
jb
Have you checked out the Windward community on the Columbia? It's not that far from your current home.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,031 times
StealthRabbitt or anyone else out there looking for communal living environment checked out Eastern Pennsylvania/ bordering Warren County NJ area? I had wanted to work and peacefully live among like minded individuals(creative,thoughtful,kind people who love nature,animals and respectful of other folks)...I myself would love to have a small no kill animal sanctuary/farm and growing own crops including herbs, wild flowers etc. a green place that could be made self sustainable by selling wool from sheep, flowers, handmade products from residents who are artistic etc. or also by providing educational seminars of varying nature to include but not limited to educating about animals, growing crops etc but also educating and possibly offering Retreat Package dealing with yoga, Tai chi, meditation etc...a 501(c) non profit status could be obtained (each person could have small cabin(wee-home type) Thoughts??

Old 06-02-2012, 12:56 AM

I'm always looking and helping a few communities with long range plans. I don't do humidity, and rarely am east of Missouri River from May - Sept, so PA is out for me. Besides, I will not be so restrictive in my elder yrs to exclude animal sacrifices for myself or neighbors (I'm a farm kid, so have seen lots of death...). I have found that 'community manifestos' cause more grief than good (most are very absurd, and NOT very understanding / accepting of diversity / tolerance). Smoking and free flowing firearms in public spaces filled with lots of passionate weirdos does concern me a bit.

I am learning lots from others and the cohousing and intentional communities have a wealth of BTDT advice.

Intentional Communities - ecovillages, communes, cohousing, coops
43 in PA http://directory.ic.org/intentional_...n_Pennsylvania

Since Co-ops and the above have such a bad reputation (and are very complex in agreement / operations), I am pursuing more of a community / private ownership of like minded (retirees with a purpose to care for others). I have my eye on a couple properties with multiple homes/ small acreages and LOTS of open / garden space & close to colleges / culture.

this will NOT meet my objective of CHEAP, So I'm still working on that avenue. I feel $60- $100k should buy you a NICE smaller abode with access / use of farmland / shops / community space / guest qtrs / equipment. IC's and Cohousing is about 3x that cost (cuz lots of developers / lawyers love to make profit on 'idealists'.)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-02-2012 at 01:05 AM..

Old 09-23-2012, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,602 times
Cool How about Kentucky

My sister and I have been discussing such a thing, there are lots of good garden lands here. I was thinking, small cabins with minimal kitchen and a central building with large kitchen for communal eating and canning, freezing and such. And large enough for gatherings or entertainment. I do not know about the rest of you, but our children are too busy with their lives to care what happens to us in our golden years and I think us abandoned seniors (55+) need someplace to take care of each other. Just having someone next door who notices if you are under the weather or not out and about. Anyone else have any such ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

thx,
jb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement