Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 11:06 PM

23,379 posts, read 18,993,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
A little bit of snow here and there is no big problem. But when you have snow AND cold weather for six months, it gets tiresome. Just like a little hot weather is bearable, but six months of 100+ degree temps is just as tiresome. That's why I snowbird now. Nice Alaska summers and nice Arizona winters.
Funny. I for one am forever glad that we don't all want to live in the exact same places. Everyone on the planet would be there and they would bring all their problems along.

I recently retired after spending 16 years in SE Alaska. Where did I move to? Farther NORTH where there would be more snow. Shocked most of my friends believe me. The prospect of heading to the south 48 even part time didn't occur to me. Left all of that mess behind decades ago and never looked back. Never did the mid-winter dash to Mexico or Hawaii as other friends did. Fall and Winter are my favorite seasons. Short days, cold, greyness, doesn't bother me a bit, in fact I prefer the chill to hot, buggy, wildfire-blackened summers. 70 F is too hot for my blood so I stayed near the coast, not the AK Interior. The winter view from the house is even more beautiful than the summer view. Then there's the aurora to look forward to, though being on the coast means it's often too cloudy to see it.

Nothing I like better than a nice big woodstove cooking in the living room and a shed full of split spruce and birch out back. I have osteoarthritis and a titanium hip already so there are times when I get a bit paranoid about ice. There is a pretty impressive assortment of shoe cleats and snow boots in the front hall closet, buckets of beach sand by each door, a Subaru in the garage, a property that doesn't require maintenance in winter, the local pickup-with-a-plow-guy can clear the drive in less than 10 minutes, and the main arterial road to town is a school bus route so it's plowed and sanded long before the dog and I roll out of bed. Life's great, but I could still use more snow even now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 12:25 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,605,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm moving from the beach location, to the location with snow. But chose an area that usually doesn't get more than 2 ft.

I'm retired, but active. I may not HAVE to go somewhere, but I will WANT to. Uncovering the car and shoveling out your driveway in areas that get a lot of snow would be a pain.

But it's personal preference.
There is no reason to uncover your car if you put it in your garage instead of using it to store a bunch of junk. Also, snow blowers make snow removal much easier.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:35 AM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
There is no reason to uncover your car if you put it in your garage instead of using it to store a bunch of junk. Also, snow blowers make snow removal much easier.
True. I guess I thought of the vehicle thing because we just spent a week vacation in the snow, in which we had to uncover the truck at the hotel. We are moving 3500 miles, it's probably most cost effective to not bring the whole house with us, so the garage should be pretty empty. Yeah, snow blowers would surely help, but not a chore I would look forward to.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-05-2018, 03:02 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,219,809 times
Because snowy climates are COLD climates, and the cold sucks.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:24 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,248,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
People are afraid of dangerous falls on ice and snow. They happen.
No one wants to shovel. I'd hire people.
You beat me too it. I would add that I have a bad back and every time I shovel snow, my back hurts for 2 weeks. Also, I have a Charger Hellcat that get no traction in the snow so, I don't like. My plan is to avoid winter snow when I retire in the coming weeks.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:12 AM

6,311 posts, read 4,215,212 times
I loved snow and enjoyed winters but I got to a certain age with back issues where the risk of slipping and hurting myself became too much, and the extreme cold was triggering asthma. Of course ask me how I feel after 6 months or Arizona heat arg!

Old 04-05-2018, 05:22 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,415,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
You're retired, You don't have to go anywhere this morning. If you look out the window and it snowed, wait and do it tomorrow. They clear the roads quickly, and there are plenty of nice days, even sunny ones.

After retirement, I lived in Northern Michigan for a decade, and a couple of years in Missouri. Maybe once a year, if that often, I thought "I wish I didn't have to go out in the snow". It was never really a problem. My apartment complex plowed the parking lot, and I never got stuck once.

What's the big deal about retirement in the snow?
Yes, I'm trying to weigh out the same issue. Being in central IL we don't get tons of snow or ice but some...though it usually doesn't stick around for weeks. So I almost look forward to getting to SEE the snow but not have to deal with it! I'll have a freezer full of food...a nice (gas) fireplace. I can start drinking hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps at 10 in the morning if I want! So how bad will it really be?

Old 04-05-2018, 05:26 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,566,960 times
Quote:
You're retired, You don't have to go anywhere this morning. If you look out the window and it snowed, wait and do it tomorrow. They clear the roads quickly, and there are plenty of nice days, even sunny ones.

After retirement, I lived in Northern Michigan for a decade, and a couple of years in Missouri. Maybe once a year, if that often, I thought "I wish I didn't have to go out in the snow". It was never really a problem. My apartment complex plowed the parking lot, and I never got stuck once.

Just because I don't have to go to work does not mean I don't have to go anywhere. LOL most of the retired people I know are as busy if not busier than before they worked. they just have the luxury of picking and chosing what to do.

Kevxu said it best. cold sucks. I hate taking 15 minutes to layer up to go outside, I hate the feeling of driving 15 minutes and then sweating because of course I've got on layers to stay warm big and bulky.

Next, people have this "winter wonderland" view of snow. oh it's so pretty. yeah right, I live in a major city and it's pretty for all over 15 minutes, then it's nasty black slush. Johhny Mathis ain't singing about that. and most of the time it's not pretty snow it's an ice/sleet/snow mix. oh yeah when the sun goes down it's now a dangerous ice.

Salt. have you ever had to drive for 4 months with salt on every thing?

this is my new motto.
Attached Thumbnails
What's the big deal with snow?-minions-snow.jpg  

Old 04-05-2018, 05:31 AM

8,789 posts, read 5,090,922 times
Snow makes me depressed and claustrophobic. I hate the cold. Always afraid I am going to slip and fall on black ice, or twisting my ankle in a pothole. If I never see snow again, It will be to soon for me!

Old 04-05-2018, 06:36 AM

22,014 posts, read 13,054,832 times
Quote:

LOL; I couldn't agree more! If you have to rise before dark, shovel a path to your car, dig it out, scrape the windshield, and still be at work by 8:00, snow is a pain. If you can go back to bed or start a fire and read a book... What's the big deal? Especially if you take care to live in an HOA that removes the snow for you. Keep a couple of days' supply of food on hand (both bread and milk freeze; even eggs, prepared properly), and there's nowhere you have to be. What a luxury!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement